Bought Nier, what a wonderful game.

#1 Posted by Beaudacious (930 posts) -

I bought Nier recently at Ebgames for 20$  after watching the the pessimistic QL. I jsut wanted to say that this game is wonderful, in so many aspects. The audio is quite good, with great musical composition, and the art style is simplistic but tasteful somehow matching the musical score in tone. Its a nice blend of jrpg and action adventure game, and the perspective changes are a refreshing welcome to the genre. The dialog system is nicely done as well in regards to where voice and text is applied. The writing is good, and it seems to have popped the cheesy jrpg bubble. Also i am so thankful the main character isn't a woman in a mans clothes, quite the opposite the main character looks fairly battered reflecting well his life style.

Honestly to me it seems somehow, magically someone at Square gave the developers more freedom then they ever had. Oh and i almost forgot about the brilliant UI, its intuitive, quick to use, complicated when needed, and  simple when needed. The game wouldn't even need to pause the action for you to use a health drop,mp drop, or even switching weapons. Don't be fooled though, this is a slower paced game they don't drop you in a strip club for a quicky then move you on to the front line of a galactic war in a matter of seconds. I think that the main reason the QL was so pessimistic is mainly due to the pace, and the SquareEnix printed on the box.

So in tern go buy Nier, its a steal at 20$. Now time to go play some more!

#2 Edited by EuanDewar (5029 posts) -
@Beaudacious said:

"So in tern go buy Nier, its a steal at 20$. Now time to go play some more!"

This some kind of abstract jab at Undeadpool?
#3 Posted by Jeust (10738 posts) -

I also loved the game. It has its pitfalls, still it is one of the best japanese rpgs I've played. 

#4 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

I'm interested, but like with Resonance of Fate I'll wait until it's under 100 SEK

#5 Posted by amir90 (2164 posts) -

Truly an underrated games.
The quest were a bit too mmoish, and the gameplay is pretty much doing the same combo day in and day night, but boy did those characters make up for it though!
I did all the 4 endings, totally worth it!.

#6 Edited by Beaudacious (930 posts) -
@amir90:  There's multiple endings? Cool didn't even know.
@EuanDewar: What? Who's Undeadpool?
#7 Posted by EuanDewar (5029 posts) -
@Beaudacious: The new Intern. It was a joke, a lame joke.
#8 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

It seems like games like these really shouldn't release at the 59.99 price point.

They probably fare better at a more budget price like, 39.99 or even 49.99. 

I'd pick it up now if I wasn't already flooded with games.
#9 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5840 posts) -

It's ok.

There's too much backtracking, which is a shame, because the environments that are there are quite good. I just wish there were more of them.

#10 Posted by Beforet (2927 posts) -

This game is great, but be wary of the side-quests. I can not emphasize this enough. If it's a pain in the ass, don't do it. This goes for every "bring fragile object to *location*" quest. And don't worry yourself about upgrading weapons. Do it if you can, but don't go out of your way.

Yes, the game has multiple endings. They're unlocked with the New Game+ feature. You don't play the entire game over; you'll understand when you get to it. Also, you haven't played the game until at least having seen ending B.

Have fun; it's an amazing gem that didn't get enough attention when it came out.

#11 Posted by buzz_clik (6989 posts) -

I picked it up for $19 recently and have played a bit into it - I'll probably make a more expansive blog about it in the near (sorry) future. I'm sorta feeling it, but there are some things that bother me.

The big thing is the fetch quests. I'm not against fetch quests if there's enough between you and your objective to keep it interesting. But the fetch quests in Nier seem to consist only of "get through four loading screens during your trip from A to B and back to A."

On the plus side, though, I really enjoy the strange shift to bullet hell shooting in some sections. Sometimes it's top down twin stick, sometimes it's almost Space Harrier in feel - either way these sections are an odd inclusion. But it doesn't seem that grating a gear change, which is interesting.

Anyway, Nier's been a nice antidote to Dead Space 2. Ultimately I'm enjoying it, but up until now it's not a must-play if I'm talking about it with mates.

#12 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I just picked it up a couple of days ago for $15....will play it after beating Star Ocean: TLH

#13 Posted by shodan2020 (679 posts) -
@Jeust: I'm just getting past the first ending and I'm absolutely amazed at the quality of writing in this game. The descriptions and plot lines are fantastic! The only slight complaint I have against the game is the fishing mini-game, which isn't explained all that well, BUT it's such a small thing compared to the rest of the game.
#14 Posted by Jeust (10738 posts) -
@shodan2020 said:
@Jeust: I'm just getting past the first ending and I'm absolutely amazed at the quality of writing in this game. The descriptions and plot lines are fantastic! The only slight complaint I have against the game is the fishing mini-game, which isn't explained all that well, BUT it's such a small thing compared to the rest of the game.
Yeah, the game is great! After you get the four endings, take your time reading https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgvmkf89_228fxgghgg3. After you'll see that things will start making much more sense, and you'll get the full scope of the story behind Nier. ^^
#15 Posted by pekoe212 (454 posts) -

This is a game that seemed to be quickly dismissed when it was released, yet I frequently see it mentioned online, whether for the story, the art direction or something else. I bought it but I haven't played it yet. I don't mind (and sometimes crave) a slow pace in games, and can tolerate some tedium in side quests. When I see Nier mentioned I also think of this: http://www.vis-atk.com/2010/06/02/shades-of-heroism/

#16 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

@Jeust said:

@shodan2020 said:
Yeah, the game is great! After you get the four endings, take your time reading https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgvmkf89_228fxgghgg3. After you'll see that things will start making much more sense, and you'll get the full scope of the story behind Nier. ^^

Thanks, man. I couldn't seem to find this anywhere.

#17 Posted by supermike6 (3586 posts) -

I just bought Nier too! The only problem I can find with it so far is I keep forgetting how to spell its name. Fantastic game.

#18 Edited by Chop (1999 posts) -

I like the music...and uh the story is kinda interesting.  Too bad that stuff is stuck behind that fucking gameplay.

#19 Edited by Jeust (10738 posts) -
 @pekoe212 said:

This is a game that seemed to be quickly dismissed when it was released, yet I frequently see it mentioned online, whether for the story, the art direction or something else. I bought it but I haven't played it yet. I don't mind (and sometimes crave) a slow pace in games, and can tolerate some tedium in side quests. When I see Nier mentioned I also think of this: http://www.vis-atk.com/2010/06/02/shades-of-heroism/

That's an interesting article. Makes me want to play Nier again. 

@rudeboy217 said:

@Jeust said:

@shodan2020 said:

Yeah, the game is great! After you get the four endings, take your time reading https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgvmkf89_228fxgghgg3. After you'll see that things will start making much more sense, and you'll get the full scope of the story behind Nier. ^^

Thanks, man. I couldn't seem to find this anywhere.

You're welcome! Dig in!  

@supermike6 said:

I just bought Nier too! The only problem I can find with it so far is I keep forgetting how to spell its name. Fantastic game.

That's a serious problem... ^^
#20 Edited by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Another guy that picked up Nier for cheap. I did so yesterday for $9, and can't put it down. This game is a weird cocktail where all kinds of different systems are thrown in together. Not all the individual elements are of great quality, but shaken together (with a little umbrella up top) it is irresistable.

EDIT: couldn't stop playing for the last few days and just finished ending B, damnit this game is one of my favorites ever for some reason. Deliberating if I want to go for ending C en D, seems very likely.

#21 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

Great game, and I also didn't really understand all the dislike/hate for this game when it came out. It is interesting to see so many differing opinions on the game though. I liked the combat, and the story had me hooked. Yeah, the fetch quests can get a bit tiring, but isn't that in ALL or MOST RPGs?

One of the best games I have played, and damn well near to being my 2010 Game of the Year.

#22 Edited by Animasta (14711 posts) -

some people just can't resist doing those fetch quests, and some of them are super fucking annoying.

fuck the moonflower quest

GOTY 2010 though

#23 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Laketown said:

some people just can't resist doing those fetch quests, and some of them are super fucking annoying.

GOTY 2010 though

Care to deliver this item for me? I must warn you, it's fragile.

#24 Posted by Beforet (2927 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Laketown said:

GOTY 2010 though

Care to deliver this item for me? I must warn you, it's fragile.

HATEHATEHATEHATE!

Only good thing about those quest was the banter that followed when you inevitably broke it. Which really is what killed about those shitty quests, because a lot of them had great banter.

#25 Edited by buzz_clik (6989 posts) -

@buzz_clik said:

I picked it up for $19 recently and have played a bit into it - I'll probably make a more expansive blog about it in the near (sorry) future. I'm sorta feeling it, but there are some things that bother me.The big thing is the fetch quests. I'm not against fetch quests if there's enough between you and your objective to keep it interesting. But the fetch quests in Nier seem to consist only of "get through four loading screens during your trip from A to B and back to A."On the plus side, though, I really enjoy the strange shift to bullet hell shooting in some sections. Sometimes it's top down twin stick, sometimes it's almost Space Harrier in feel - either way these sections are an odd inclusion. But it doesn't seem that grating a gear change, which is interesting.Anyway, Nier's been a nice antidote to Dead Space 2. Ultimately I'm enjoying it, but up until now it's not a must-play if I'm talking about it with mates.

I did end up writing a blog about Nier, although I'm a bit bummed I didn't make another after I'd finished it. My ultimate takeaway from this game is that it's one of the best games it's ever been my pleasure to be confused by.

#26 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19371 posts) -

I've finished the game (I guess 1.5 times since I've done ending A and B) and one of the things that have annoyed me the most is that the trophies fucked up for me. There are several story progression trophies that I haven't obtained that I totally should have and that sucks. 

The story is super confusing, though. Until the end sequence, I thought I could follow it relatively well but then they hit me with all this Project Gestalt nonsense. I suppose I'll read up on it, though, given that I've just finished with ending B.

#27 Posted by Kera_Reaver (5 posts) -

I love this game!

I played it, on my Ps3, as soon as it came out, and couldn't stop until I got the 4 endings. (I also played the DLC, which is quite psycheledic! XD)

Now, I'm playing it again, on the 360 - I just counldn't help it - and I'm enjoying it as much as the first time I did!

I love the characters, the sceneries, the soundtrack (so beautiful!), the story, most of the voice acting (especially Weissy... Oh, I mean Grimoire Weiss :-P ... and Kainé). And, yes, I enjoyed the gameplay as well, although it was nothing new nor astonishing, I really enjoyed it a lot!

#28 Posted by ike7779 (338 posts) -

Yeah, I got it a while ago for like $5 on clearance at Best Buy and I am so glad I didn't miss out on this game. I later paid 3x as much just to get the soundtrack on iTunes. First soundtrack I've ever bought, no regrets.

#29 Posted by AuthenticM (3761 posts) -

I bought the game a year ago for 20$ at Futureshop; played until I met Laura Bailey, then stopped playing as the gameplay got just too fucking tedious and boring. Everyone keeps saying how good the story is. Should I give it another go?

#30 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5840 posts) -
@AuthenticM: The story is actually really interesting but you'll have to play through the game more than once if you want to experience it all. 

so honestly if you dislike the combat that much I would say no.
#31 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (468 posts) -

if anything everyone should pick this up because it's brought to you by the numbers 8-4! :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.