Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nier

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 22, 2010

Nothing is as it seems. Nier must travel the world in search of a cure for his daughter who has been infected with the deadly "Black Scrawl" virus. How far will you go to save someone you love?

I haven't beat this yet but... *Spoilers*

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Barrock

I think it's the most fucked up and just generally depressing story in video games.

I just hit the part where the Orphan's are exploring the junk heap and the older one shoves his little brother out of falling debris to save him. Then the little brother pulls his arm off trying to save him? Holy shit. These poor people.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

haha you haven't seen the half of it

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Apparently Fragile Dreams is pretty depressing as well as the Mother series (Mother 3, particularly). But yeah, Nier has its sad moments and, even though I still don't understand the story, everything that you do in the game apparently appears much more grim when you finish all of the endings and understand what the story was about.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By kashif1

interest in this game rising

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Benny

Well, whatever the opposite of 'you're in for a treat' is, that's what you're in for.

Nier has easily one of the most interesting stories in a game ever. The lore and history surrounding it is mind-boggling, super interesting though.

Make sure you replay it.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shirogane

You know how most stories like this a lot of horrible crap happens, but then in the end you somehow make everything ok and save the world and all that? Yeah, don't expect that from Nier, even every sidequest ends tragically. Seriously, do the sidequests.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Morrow

@Barrock:

Yeah, that part struck me too. But there's more ahead.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Barrock

@Shirogane said:

You know how most stories like this a lot of horrible crap happens, but then in the end you somehow make everything ok and save the world and all that? Yeah, don't expect that from Nier, even every sidequest ends tragically. Seriously, do the sidequests.

Oh I know. The dead dog and then dead owner. The dead fisherman. The abusive dad. More dead people.

Does anyone have any recommended side quests in part 2? I know I need to do The Damaged Map. Or any weapon recommendations? Currently using Phoenix Spear.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rubberluffy
    @Barrock said:

Does anyone have any recommended side quests in part 2? I know I need to do The Damaged Map. Or any weapon recommendations? Currently using Phoenix Spear.

Just don't do any quest that involves getting a certain type of flower seed (pink maybe?).  A lot of quests are relatively simple but that one pretty much requires you to follow a guide and spend numerous days with Nier's garden.  And the Phoenix Spear was pretty much my go-to weapon after I got it.

Also bookmark THIS and read the Backstory updates when you're done with Nier, it will really help you figure out just what was going on.  It's all info from the Grimoire Nier art/story/strategybook that was Japan-only.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Barrock

OH COME ON! On her wedding day!?

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By WMWA

I bought this a year and a half ago for cheap and plowed through it. I really liked it, but I was shocked when I found out how big of a following it has

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Morrow

@Barrock: How's your impression now? Have you beaten it yet? :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.