Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nier

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 22, 2010

Nothing is as it seems. Nier must travel the world in search of a cure for his daughter who has been infected with the deadly "Black Scrawl" virus. How far will you go to save someone you love?

Is anyone else a little bit insulted by Nier's protagonist?

• 62 results
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Coombs

I love when people bitch about trivial shit....

Because I get to post this picture
    Because I get to post this picture
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By Jeust
    @Arjuna said:

" @Jeust said:

" @Arjuna said:

" I can't believe you're playing this game.  It's been critically panned. "

that doesn't mean it's bad. Something even most of the most critical reviews say is that it has a good and fresh story, something that is missing in most of the critically acclaimed games. It just generates polarizing views.  "
      I pay attention to Joystiq, especially their podcast.  Justin McElroy is calling it one of the worst games he's ever played.  I have yet to see a review from a reputable reviewer that is even remotely positive.  Here is a funny video he posted about the fishing minigame in Nier:   http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/03/nier-review-fail/     In their last podcast he explained that the only way someone could like this game is if they spent enough money and time on it that they can't bring themselves to realize how bad it is. "
    Justin McElroy was just being a spoiled ass like he has the right to be being the reviews editor in Joystiq. He was fishing in the wrong spot, by his own stupidity, as the game marks the place where you should fish with a red cross. 

Here is a video about a player that did what Justin was so furious and aggravated about in under 30 seconds...  

I also did the fishing task, and can attest to the fact that it isn't nearly as hard or frustrating as he made it seem.  And I personally don't think of Justin McElroy a reputable reviewer after this, and he should be ashamed of being so poor in his job. 

I won't say the game is perfect, because it  isn't, but it's my best experience with jrpg this year, and felt that it's better than FFXIII and Resonance of Fate. It's an experimental game, that takes many risks, and while some aren't worthwhile, the game is never infuriating (like Justin made it look like), and has a deeper and fresher story unlike most games branded as AAA.  I think it was well summarized on videogamer.com: 

Wesley Yin-Poole of videogamer.com  explained of Nier that “… the wonderfully designed characters and intriguing plot do just enough to elevate NIER above much of what is coming out of Japan these days. It is, in many ways, the kind of game critics of the Japanese RPG have been calling for: different, fresh, and in parts distinctly un-JRPG. Not all of it works, but it's a commendable effort, and a memorable experience.” Yin-Poole gave Nier a score of 8/10.    

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#53  Edited By Catolf
    @Arjuna said:
      I pay attention to Joystiq, especially their podcast.  Justin McElroy is calling it one of the worst games he's ever played.  I have yet to see a review from a reputable reviewer that is even remotely positive.  Here is a funny video he posted about the fishing minigame in Nier:    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/03/nier-review-fail/     In their last podcast he explained that the only way someone could like this game is if they spent enough money and time on it that they can't bring themselves to realize how bad it is. "
    If all you do is pay attention to web reviwers who didn't.. i don't know...

FISH WHERE THE BIG ASS
    X WAS ON THE MAP

Then I suppose your right.

Anyway, Yahtzee did a little review on it (and apparently  finished the game.. unlike some so called reviewer's.) and posted it. I think it sums up the feeling. it's not a glowing gem of awesome-sauce RPG-ness but it's unique and they took risks. For which I say good job SquareEnix. Experimentation is a good thing, and you brought me herms. And not DLC to let me play as pretty boy. (which i will after gruff manz) So, I'm happy. But I will be getting this on the discounted shelf. XD (or preowned.)
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By ryanwho

Considering the alternative, I'm the opposite of insulted.

snaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By snaps

I knew he looked far too manly to be the main char in a Square game....guess that explains it.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By eclipsesis

Two words, Gears of War.

Every character in that game is ugly as shit, are you offended by that as well?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The Japanese release of Gears of War II has you play as a high schooler out to stop the aliens using the power of friendship.

And Dom is a catgirl.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#58  Edited By Catolf
    @Brodehouse said:
    " The Japanese release of Gears of War II has you play as a high schooler out to stop the aliens using the power of friendship.  And Dom is a catgirl. "
    I'd play the fuck out of that. XD
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Turambar

I find the number of people claiming being able to relate to Old Nier better than Young Nier simply because the guy is Old to be kind of funny.  From the sounds of it, emo young Nier is unrelatable because his physical appearance isn't realistic while ugly old Nier is relatable because...why?  His physical appearance is hardly realistic.  A father saving his daughter is admittedly less cliche than brother saving sister, but fresher doesn't exactly equate relatable either.  Both are thrown into a world full of mystical munbo jumbo, so it's not like the actual plot is somehow profoundly different.

@Brodehouse

said:

" The Japanese release of Gears of War II has you play as a high schooler out to stop the aliens using the power of friendship.  And Dom is a catgirl. "

But...how is that actually worse than space marines with hilariously dis-proportioned bodies?  You won't find me denying the androgyny in many JRPGs, but I fail to see how being overly muscled is actually better.  Honestly I find both versions (and I know you meant the above as a joke) equally full of crazy.
    Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Alkaiser

I really don't care either way because they both seem completely uninteresting. A unique look or personality will go a long way towards me liking a character, regardless of their general age and manliness ranking.

I'm not saying I don't love and respect the Golgo 13 mold of manly, but the unstoppable badass trope gets tiresome after a while. If a game can make me sympathetic towards the protagonist and his/her crews plight, then I'll generally be more involved in the story and the game as a whole.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Turambar:  I picked Gears because its the best example of the West's affinity for ugly men.

I'm still waiting for the game where you play as an ugly girl.  I think Portal is the only one.

As for realistic, guys who fight generally end up ugly as shit.  The human body reflects damage visited upon it.  Old Nier is more relatable because you understand he's a fighter.

I like Jackie Chan movies more than Jet Li, because Jackie Chan gets the shit kicked out of him in every scene, while Jet Li is some untouchable Mary Sue god.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Yahtzee said he looked like a guy wearing his undies on his head. 

Oh so, so true.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.