Is Nier Worth Playing?

#1 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I've received mixed feelings about this game and it seems like it was swept under the rug within a matter of months of its release.  

Tell me if it's worth my (and the community's) time.

#2 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2580 posts) -

It's amazing, sometimes tedious, yet worth the effort for the surprisingly great storyline.  

A rare gem that reminds you that square once actually did make great games.
#3 Posted by Beforet (2885 posts) -

It is made by Cavia.

Cavia made Drakengard.

This game is worth it. Even if it sucks (like Drakengard). It probably sucks (like Drakengard). It is still worth it.

#4 Posted by Shirogane (3561 posts) -

Yes, yes it is worth it.
#5 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -

Yep, its pretty worth it.

#6 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2580 posts) -
@Beforet:
Drakengard still managed to be pretty awesome
#7 Posted by l4wd0g (1820 posts) -

Yeah, I don't know. There are way too many other games that I enjoy to give it a shot. if you just by GiantBomb's 5 star games your buying 12 games which is well over a $1000.

#8 Posted by Beforet (2885 posts) -
@xaLieNxGrEyx: That is exactly what I mean, kind sir.
#9 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

Yes, It is worth it. It starts off slow, but after three hours or so the game/story really opens up. And it has the best music of all games that came out in 2010. I loved it!
#10 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

I got to the part where you fight a giant shark with 16 pairs of boobs. At that point, I decided the game is not for me. 

Also that really hot girl... yea she's got a dick. Just a heads up.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (22741 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" I got to the part where you fight a giant shark with 16 pairs of boobs. At that point, I decided the game is not for me.  Also that really hot girl... yea she's got a dick. Just a heads up. "
The game have too many boobs for you? :P
#12 Posted by Beforet (2885 posts) -

This all sounds tame compared to Drakengard. Nothing can top Demon Cthulhu Babies that bring the Apocalypse.

#13 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Yes yes yes and yes. One of the best soundtracks of last year, too.

#14 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -
@Enigma777:  
What, you don't like some good ol' fashioned futanari?
#15 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

Oh yes. Its a really good game.

#16 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2580 posts) -
@Enigma777:
Should really kept going
#17 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -
@Hailinel: Not all boobs are good boobs...  

@McGhee_the_Insomniac:
 I like my women dickless. That way we don't have to compare.
#18 Posted by Hailinel (22741 posts) -
@Beforet said:
" This all sounds tame compared to Drakengard. Nothing can top Demon Cthulhu Babies that bring the Apocalypse. "
You forgot the part about the main character apparently bedding his sister. :P
#19 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -

it was 12 dollars brand new on amazon a few days back. still wondering why i didnt buy it

#20 Posted by Hailinel (22741 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" @Hailinel: Not all boobs are good boobs...  

@McGhee_the_Insomniac:
 I like my women dickless. That way we don't have to compare. "
Well, to be fair, I don't think that creature was meant to be arousing. :P
#21 Posted by falserelic (4954 posts) -
@Axxol:  Nier was a pretty fun game.The story and soundtrack in this game is great.There's a good variety of powers to use and weapons.There lots of different enemy types and fun boss battles.Some of the stuff I don't like in the game.Is that most of the side missions are boring and tedious.The graphics are abit outdated,and I wish there could have been different moves to unlock.Overall Neir is a decent game that is worth checking out. 
#22 Edited by Beforet (2885 posts) -

Caim doesn't roll with that shit. He's got standards. He's mass murdering psychopath, not an animal! Though she totally wanted the Caimcock and really, who wouldn't?

And he was busy with the dragon anyway. Don't lie, you know it's true.

#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@xaLieNxGrEyx: @Beforet said:
" It is made by Cavia.  Cavia made Drakengard.  This game is worth it. Even if it sucks (like Drakengard). It probably sucks (like Drakengard). It is still worth it. "
Drakengard is one of my all time favorites.
#24 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

Having played neither, Nier seems to be the Deadly Premonition for a different crowd. No Endurance Run needed.

#25 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2580 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @xaLieNxGrEyx:  @Beforet said:
" It is made by Cavia.  Cavia made Drakengard.  This game is worth it. Even if it sucks (like Drakengard). It probably sucks (like Drakengard). It is still worth it. "
Drakengard is one of my all time favorites. "

Then go play Nier, right now. We'll still be here when you get back <3
#26 Posted by Hailinel (22741 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @xaLieNxGrEyx: @Beforet said:
Are you aware that Nier is kinda-sorta a sequel to Drakengard?  Takes place in the alternate Earth established in that crazy ending where Caim and Angelus end up flying around Tokyo.  (Several thousand years later.)
#27 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2580 posts) -
@Hailinel:
No I did not.  

You get a heart too <3
#28 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4289 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" I've received mixed feelings about this game and it seems like it was swept under the rug within a matter of months of its release.   Tell me if it's worth my (and the community's) time. "
Do you like a good story? That's really the only thing that should be considered when asking if Nier is worth playing. 

The RPG elements are light at best, and at times it comes across as the retarded stepbrother to God of War. The areas are lacking in detail and in general activity. In fact, I'd compare the zones to that of a barren MMO. There's really nothing to do apart from the main story except fetch quests (which are fucking tedious), but the story? Oh my the story... 

Nier is one of the more original titles I've played this generation. I hated the gameplay to the Nth degree, but the story was worth the tedium of it all. Truly fantastic cast of characters, and Nier himself his pretty ballin'. I can almost forgive him wearing a thong on his face for the second half of the game. Almost. 

So yeah, if story is really important to you, then Nier is definitely worth a rental. The gameplay is tedious but it's not like, say, Kane & Lynch bad. It's just boring. Don't do side quests and stick to the main story and you'll definitely appreciate this weird little action RPG.
#29 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

You'll have to play it more than once.

#30 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Axxol said:
" @xaLieNxGrEyx: @Beforet said:
Are you aware that Nier is kinda-sorta a sequel to Drakengard?  Takes place in the alternate Earth established in that crazy ending where Caim and Angelus end up flying around Tokyo.  (Several thousand years later.) "
No, this is news to me. That's pretty cool.
#31 Posted by Zajtalan (1153 posts) -

the beginning is really great in my opinion and it has nice music

#32 Posted by Animasta (14464 posts) -

play it more than once, someone made a great picture for whether you should do the side quests or not:

and listen to the sweet sweet music. My GOTY for 2010 :)
#33 Posted by Hailinel (22741 posts) -
@Laketown:  I've been looking for an excuse not to hunt that damn boar.
#34 Posted by Animasta (14464 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Laketown:  I've been looking for an excuse not to hunt that damn boar. "
do it later, but for gods sake hunt the boar! I don't mean to spoil it, but once you beat the boar you can ride him, and it makes it way easier to get places, and you can DRIFT ON THE BOAR.
#35 Posted by Hailinel (22741 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @Hailinel said:
do it later, but for gods sake hunt the boar! I don't mean to spoil it, but once you beat the boar you can ride him, and it makes it way easier to get places, and you can DRIFT ON THE BOAR. "
SOLD.  Doin' it later!
#36 Posted by fugie7 (1105 posts) -

yes it's worth it.

#37 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

Yes worth it.

#38 Posted by l4wd0g (1820 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" play it more than once, someone made a great picture for whether you should do the side quests or not:
and listen to the sweet sweet music. My GOTY for 2010 :) "
That's pretty funny.
#39 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @Hailinel said:
do it later, but for gods sake hunt the boar! I don't mean to spoil it, but once you beat the boar you can ride him, and it makes it way easier to get places, and you can DRIFT ON THE BOAR. "
Been meaning to get this game for a while but DAAAAAAAMN!!!!  

I'm pickin' up my copy tomorrow!
#40 Posted by obcdexter (531 posts) -

Much like the graphics the gameplay is average at best but fully functional and never punishing in terms of difficulty (even on the harder settings). It's the story, characters and music that make this game so good. After I had finished it I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it, then I read up on plot-details online (some nice folks translated a previously Japanese-only guide book) and I was blown away at how well thought and fledged out this crazy sci-fi-fantasy story really is. Great fiction, seriously. My personal GOTY! 
A shame cavia is no more. Those guys had some wicked shit up their sleeves--probably still have. Hopefully they'll find a way to provide us with more of their stuff in the future.

#41 Posted by Christoffer (1656 posts) -

The game has some good characters and a few interesting ideas. But I feel the game died in the middle of production as if they didn't take the time to actually play it through enough times to realize it wasn't fun. Dull pacing, a ton of just running back and forth, nothing to encourage you to go on, ugly landscapes. The story is pretty original but it have the typical "anime-syndrome" in my opinion. Good structure destroyed by needless bullcrap. But if your into that, I guess it holds up well. 

I haven't finished the game yet but I've played a fair chunk. If I continue, it will be just to wrap up the story. 

In short. I wouldn't by this if I knew what it was. There are plety more games worth your time.

#42 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Bloody hell, half the story spoiled!

#43 Posted by RedBullRacer (72 posts) -

I finished it, loved every second of it! Repeat plays are done very well too, really really good game.

#45 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@RedBullRacer: @drag: Wow, this thread is almost a month old. I did play Nier, but I never finished it. The combat was fun, but I got bored with it after a while and sent it back to Gamefly.
#46 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @RedBullRacer: @drag: Wow, this thread is almost a month old. I did play Nier, but I never finished it. The combat was fun, but I got bored with it after a while and sent it back to Gamefly. "
That just about sums up my feelings for the game. Excellent soundtrack, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.