Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nier

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 22, 2010

Nothing is as it seems. Nier must travel the world in search of a cure for his daughter who has been infected with the deadly "Black Scrawl" virus. How far will you go to save someone you love?

Nier to One's Heart (Or: Why Should Anyone Care About Nier?)

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

Hello friends. When I started writing for (well, *on*, if we're being technical) this website five years ago, one of my earliest "experimental" pieces was an incredulous list of observations (man, how times have changed) based on a recent playthrough of Cavia Inc.'s Nier. Nier's an interesting game for a great many reasons - you can choose to interpret my selection of that particular adjective however you wish - and I found myself quite nonplussed at the multiple directions Nier was pulling me. One moment it angered me, or disappointed me, or bored me (that was more than one moment), while at other times I was either surprised or impressed by a stylistic or gameplay decision it chose to make. I've long ranked Nier with the likes of Psychonauts or Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines or Deadly Premonition (though I only played those last two relatively recently) as the type of unique if flawed game that any video game fan who considers themselves patrons of the medium ought to check out, for educational purposes if nothing else.

During E3, we were met with the announcement that a new Nier was in production. There were a number of surprised reactions, and with good cause: The original developers Cavia had shut down since Nier, and Nier was pretty much the game that killed the studio; the last post-Cavia game based on a Cavia property, Drakengard 3, failed to set the world aflame with dragonfire; who the fuck even played Nier?; and why announce something this niche at the US-focused E3 rather than wait until the much more amenable Tokyo Game Show in three months' time? Sure, it could be Square Enix being Square Enix and just tossing out everything they're cooking up to fill time in their increasingly irrelevant conference, but there's gotta be something going on if they think a Nier 2 teaser is a big deal for the US market.

Which, of course, leaves the many folk who have no idea what Nier is in the dark, their general knowledge beginning and ending with "It has a good soundtrack", "It is sad", "don't fish here, fish there" and "Moon face?". What is Nier, really? Why should anyone care that a sequel is being produced? Well, I'm here to elucidate, as best as I am able.

So Nier and Yet So Far: I Try to Explain What Nier Is

Nier is an action RPG. For the most part. The eponymous protagonist runs across various overworlds and through dungeons in pursuit of his kidnapped daughter and most of the gameplay is similar to something you'd find in, say, Dragon Age: Inquisition or Final Fantasy XII, only not quite as tactical due to there being only a single playable character. Nier has a standard assortment of combos that rely on light attacks and heavy attacks, and he'll acquire new spells that help clear rooms of enemies for those moments when they start to swarm him. While the overworlds are fairly open, the dungeons have a mostly linear layout that funnels you through puzzles and the boss fights.

The boss fights are where the game can often deviate a little from the mold. Many boss attacks resemble a third-person variant of a bullet hell shooter, firing multiple glowy balls in every direction. The player, true to the shoot 'em up genre, has to weave through the things and look for an opening to attack. It's an odd variation on the "wait for your moment" boss fight conceit, though it works fairly well if you don't think about it too much.

Then you have what I consider the game's "detours". Nier's not content with sticking to its chosen genre the entire game, and will find ways to subvert the gaming experience for sequences that are deliberately meant to be a little discombobulating for the hero. An extended sequence where Nier explores a mansion to look for a biological superweapon, for instance, is a deliberate Resident Evil homage with key puzzles and fixed dramatic camera perspectives. A "choose your own" text adventure fills in for a dream sequence, told abstractly with descriptions and occasional interjections of your fellow party members. It's these aberrations that people tend to remember most fondly about the game; while the core action RPG gameplay is adequate, it can also be a little underwhelming and repetitive.

There's also the cast of characters: The gruff Nier is a protagonist that's single-minded to a fault in his attempt to find a cure for his daughter (and then the subsequent pursuit when she is abducted). It becomes a major plot point that the game continues to expand on; Grimoire Weiss is a talking book that offers the lion's share of the game's sardonic quips and exposition, to counter Nier's stoic reticence; Kainé, an extremely hostile (and profane) young woman who follows Nier around despite the duo's equally standoffish demeanors; Emil, a compassionate young boy cursed with a petrifying gaze that wears a blindfold and lives secluded in a mansion with other similarly afflicted children; and Yonah, Nier's daughter and the most important person in his life, who is dying from the "black scrawl" - a disease with no known cure.

Nier and Dear: Nier's Strengths A.K.A. Why Any of This Matters

Nier had some core structural problems, but what persists long after the dull "standard mode" gameplay and the overemphasis on fetch quests and grinding weapon experience for the "true ending" (a carryover from Drakengard that no-one asked for) are the game's myriad strengths as a truly creative (if partly insane) singular experience. I'll list a few of these below (and I've spoiler-blocked a few that deal with how the game concludes):

The game's music. The game's most prominent feature to the general gaming public, whether they actually played the game or not, is its mellifluous, melodic, melancholy soundtrack. Not just your usual assortment of JRPG violins and orchestral scores, each song in Nier received an incredible amount of attention, with each sporting a fictitious singing language that is part-romance language, part-Gaelic and all-wonderful. It effectively punctuates the dramatic scenes, the sad scenes and the quiet scenes and gives the game a gravitas it perhaps wouldn't otherwise deserve, given the amount of tonal shift from one scene to the next. I'm sure everyone's familiar with it already, but here's a sampling: Hills of Radiant Winds, Song of the Ancients, Shadowlord, Kainé Salvation, Grandma. Heck, just go listen to the whole thing.

The game's originality. Bouncing between genres and homages, twisting and subverting the archetypal "hero looks for kidnapped girl" plot, the way the game subtly messes with the player's expectations throughout. The developers never had any intention of creating a straightforward action RPG, as evinced by the bullet hell bosses and the detours into other genres. Drakengard, conversely, was a game that was structurally very rigid; though it certainly didn't have a cohesive plot, the game would jump between Dynasty Warriors style hack-and-slash and Panzer Dragoon shoot 'em up stages and stick to those two models closely throughout the game's runtime, with the exception of the very final boss. With Nier, it felt like Cavia wanted to expand on what they did with that irregular final boss fight by creating a game that was just as narratively wild as Drakengard but also structurally disparate as well. This perceived "statement of intent" might also explain why Nier chooses to follow the very non-canonical ending to Drakengard that occurs after the aforementioned abnormal boss encounter. It's odd to think of a thirty hour long JRPG produced by Square Enix as also being an experimental game of the sort the Indie market is always producing, but that's essentially what Nier is. It's a kick in the pants the JRPG genre sorely needs to reinvent itself, or at the very least a demonstration that possibilities exist outside of the hoary tropes of androgynous teenagers and anime boob jokes, even if what you get is a confused mess in many respects.

The game's storytelling devices. [We'll be getting spoiler-heavy here, because it deals with the game's original ending and the subsequent playthroughs that lead to the various other endings.]

The game reveals that the "shadow" enemies that Nier has been fighting are actually the souls of human beings who were separated from their bodies shortly after the cataclysm that wiped out almost all sentient life in a modern day version of Earth (which is actually the result of one of the stranger endings from the first Drakengard). The "replicants" - cloned human bodies created specifically to be immune to the toxic (to humans) atmosphere - were intended to one day house the separated souls (or "gestalts") once the atmosphere became liveable again, except the replicants took on a sentience of their own after thousands of years of non-sapient complacency.

What this essentially leads to is a tacit understanding by the end of the first playthrough that every major enemy, who speaks in a language Nier and the others don't understand, was actually a human spirit driven insane after having spent years extracted from their physical body. Each one has a sad tale to tell, and are driven to fight Nier by their desperation, their hopelessness and their pain. The second playthrough makes the incredible decision to allow the player to understand what these spirits are saying, but still leaves the in-game characters in the dark, leading to a lot of boss fights that you're way less eager about completing the second time around (and not just because of the repetition).

The game's true coup is developing the character of Nier over each of these playthroughs, switching the focus from rescuing Yonah to the suffering of Kainé, including her backstory and the malevolent spirit that managed to possess her at a young age (which, of course, you can now hear from the second playthrough onwards). Nier finally acknowledges someone other than himself and Yonah, and sacrifices his very existence to save Kainé in an ultimate act of compassion. This has the affect of eliminating every save game, every scrap of data, every iota of progress attached to the player's account, which gets wiped before their eyes in a display of meta narration that I've yet to see before or since from a video game. The game even refuses to let the player create a new profile with the same name. Nier vanishes entirely from the world, but Yonah and Kainé both survive and continue living on with the uneasy feeling that they're forgetting someone important to them. It's a heartbreaking and unforgettable way to complete a game utterly and entirely - though the steps to get there might be a little too much for any non-completionist player.

In the Nier Future: What This Sequel Should Do, If Square-Enix Has Any Sense

It's hard to say where Square Enix will go with this new one. The veil's long been lifted on what Cavia were secretly attempting to pull off, as Nier's been given many years with which to garner enough cult appeal to facilitate a sequel in the first place, and when you're attempting to follow a game this avant garde with a follow up there's some inherent difficulties with capturing that same sense of pioneer spirit a second time around. You can't invent the wheel twice (though maybe "invent the pet rock twice" would be a slightly less hyperbolic way to phrase that sentiment).

The Nier sequel should surprise us. It should use the advantage it has over its forebear with all this extra promotional steam and kudos to raise the bar with its narrative and gameplay revelations, reaching heights the original could only dream of demonstrating. It could also use some significant restructuring for its core game; whether the dull, repetitive nature of the gameplay was all part of the game's later subversions is essentially moot, because you should never expect a larger audience to want to suffer low quality gameplay for the sake of it being germane to the narrative. Fix that side of it up and make it more palatable, ideally by leaning more heavily either into the character action aspect (more combos, more distinction between weapon types, more speed) or the RPG aspect (more strategy, more equipment, more skill trees or some other way to customize closer to one's preferred playstyle). It goes without saying that the soundtrack should be as equally fantastic, but given that the same composers are behind it that's probably a safe bet.

I have a lot of expectations for this sequel. Nier felt like it could've been a true trailblazing masterpiece with a little more polish, instead of the bizarre, cultish curio it ultimately became. There's room to grow with a sequel, but only if they manage to nail that gonzo spirit again. While a bigger budget might result in a more competent action RPG, that money might also force Square Enix to temper the game with "safer" decisions governing its structure. I can't imagine the resulting product would please anyone.

Fingers crossed, eh?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Still have that 360 copy of Nier sitting around somewhere. Unopened.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bocam

And the best part about the last ending is what it canonically leads into... necrophilia and Emil fighting aliens (who also happen to be giant man eating babies)

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Beat ending "A" 2 days ago for the first time, and never has a game made me cry like a little bitch multiple times. Scared to do the other endings =P I cant believe how criminally underated this game is. It's seriously the best video game story told last generation. The OST is soo good too!

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yoko Taro games are pretty crazy in general, I'm still getting my ass kicked by the final boss in Drakenguard 3.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beat ending "A" 2 days ago for the first time, and never has a game made me cry like a little bitch multiple times. Scared to do the other endings

The 2nd playthrough is much sadder and will make you feel like a terrible person. Have fun!

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
    Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nier is like a far less popular Monster Hunter, in that it has some fantastic things going for it and some insanely archaic and obtuse things standing between the fantastic things and the player.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By paulunga

" I've long ranked Nier with the likes of Psychonauts or Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines or Deadly Premonition (though I only played those last two relatively recently) as the type of unique if flawed game that any video game fan who considers themselves patrons of the medium ought to check out, for educational purposes if nothing else."

These are my exact feelings on Nier. Also, exactly the company I would put it in. Some of the best writing/storytelling in videogames with some pretty janky gameplay - that quote goes for any one of those four games. Putting Platinum to work on the second one is the best decision they could've made as long as the direction and storytelling will still be unfiltered 100% Yoko Taro.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TournamentOfHate

Apparently the PS3 version is EXPENSIVE AS SHIT right now. So much for that.

Edit: Also your use of the word "Nier" as headlines were ridiculous in this haha.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

While I hated actually playing Nier (which should be alleviated by Platinum designing the gameplay next time out), it was still a surprisingly amazing experience. That soundtrack, while always touted as being great, is so strong because it fits its world so well. Few soundtracks are able to so perfectly fit with the tone and place of a game's setting like the Nier soundtrack. It's so perfect that it almost feels like the soundtrack came first, with the world being designed around the feel of the music instead of the typical other way around. I may like other gaming soundtracks better, but none are as profound and image-conjuring (to sound pretentious) as Nier's.

It's also a bummer to hear people always talk about Nier and then say they never played any of the Drakengard games. Tonally, they are quite different from the somber and reflective plot of Nier, but they have that same artistry and depravity to their stories (even more so, in regards to the latter). Drakengard 3 certainly took a different focus than Nier, but I enjoyed it nearly as much due to its characters, writing, and overall craziness. It shares the same gameplay issues as Nier, moreso in a few instances such as framerate, but I still highly recommend it for anyone who played Nier and wants more.

Yoko Taro games are pretty crazy in general, I'm still getting my ass kicked by the final boss in Drakenguard 3.

That sequence is so fucking good. That sequence is one of the most frustrating things I've done in a video game. Both of these statements are true. I wrote an entire blog post on JUST this ending, because of how surprising and masochistic it is. The song from that sequence still gives me chills whenever I hear it, both for its emotional resonance and my harsh memories of it.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cier about Nier a fier bit; I hold it very dier. The fact thier making a sequel made me chier, even if its quality is currently unclier.

I need to stop this right now.

lorbst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nier is a great story driven game. Drakengard 3 made me start reading Gurdjieff again...

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I'm now way more inclined to play nier and as a surely unintended side-effect, the Drakengard series. You have a convert, sir!

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunterob said:

I'm now way more inclined to play nier and as a surely unintended side-effect, the Drakengard series. You have a convert, sir!

Okay, dude? No offense intended, as this applies to pretty much every human: The Drakengard games will kick your dick in. Not necessarily 3, but the first one certainly, and the second one - for different reasons - absolutely. On top of that, they're both pretty hard to get your hands on these days. They weren't exactly smash hits after all.

Instead I'd highly recommend reading the LPs of one and two done by an SA user known as TheDarkId. They're incredibly comprehensive and very entertaining reads to boot. DG3 and Nier are both far more accessible than the first two, and I highly recommend playing them on your own. Especially for Drakengard 3's ultimate ending. Jesus Christ, Yoko Taro, what the fuck even is wrong with you?

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#14 Mento  Moderator

@hunterob: For what it's worth, I concur with Crembaw. The first Drakengard, which is the only one I've played, is absolutely not the sort of game you want to invest a lot of time into, but its story is still absolutely fascinating to follow. A decent LP like TheDarkId's would be preferable with that in mind, unless you're adamant that watching/reading someone else play a game detracts too much from the overall experience. Drakengard's later endings are even more riveting to watch and require even more grinding and awful game design to suffer through, so either way you'll probably break eventually and head to YouTube or something.

I've yet to play Drakengard 2 or 3 however. Given 2 is usually considered worse than 1, I've been reluctant to seek it out. I'd still like to try 3 though, because that was made post-Nier and would have to have seen some gameplay improvements in that interim (or at the very least be just as wild).

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@mento said:

@hunterob: For what it's worth, I concur with Crembaw. The first Drakengard, which is the only one I've played, is absolutely not the sort of game you want to invest a lot of time into, but its story is still absolutely fascinating to follow. A decent LP like TheDarkId's would be preferable with that in mind, unless you're adamant that watching/reading someone else play a game detracts too much from the overall experience. Drakengard's later endings are even more riveting to watch and require even more grinding and awful game design to suffer through, so either way you'll probably break eventually and head to YouTube or something.

I've yet to play Drakengard 2 or 3 however. Given 2 is usually considered worse than 1, I've been reluctant to seek it out. I'd still like to try 3 though, because that was made post-Nier and would have to have seen some gameplay improvements in that interim (or at the very least be just as wild).

@crembaw said:

Okay, dude? No offense intended, as this applies to pretty much every human: The Drakengard games will kick your dick in. Not necessarily 3, but the first one certainly, and the second one - for different reasons - absolutely. On top of that, they're both pretty hard to get your hands on these days. They weren't exactly smash hits after all.

Instead I'd highly recommend reading the LPs of one and two done by an SA user known as TheDarkId. They're incredibly comprehensive and very entertaining reads to boot. DG3 and Nier are both far more accessible than the first two, and I highly recommend playing them on your own. Especially for Drakengard 3's ultimate ending. Jesus Christ, Yoko Taro, what the fuck even is wrong with you?

I was just in the midst of replying to crembaw, I'll just do both at once since you addressed something I intended to. I am adamant that watching someone play a game wholesale detracts too much from the overall experience. Anything more supplementary to the fact that I may someday play the game in question myself is much more appealing; quick looks, look backs, reviews, or any sort of deeper discussion on its own. I've matured past the perspective that there isn't merit to the commentary of some LP-ers but it remains something that just isn't for me.

No offense taken (crembaw), but by kick your dick in did you mean literally make me less of a man? I've played enough of Hyrule Warriors to think I can handle the Dynasty Warriors part of it, or figured out the convoluted RPG mechanics of a game like Demon's Souls if that's part. I'm guessing that you mean the problem is more with minutia than difficulty, which I'll be able to handle especially if it's the type of gameplay that would enable me to listen to podcasts at the same time. Never played anything like Panzer Dragoon, but I'm sure that isn't the brunt of the game.

I've just been reading up on how the game deals with pedophilia and incest (not-as-much partially in the English version) and watched some cutscenes, discovering that this is the game with giant terrifying babies that eat people which I've already seen at least one of the endings for some time ago. Knowing all that I know now, I feel like the only other step I can take is to wait until I have money to start buying expensive old games again, and play for it myself. Whether or not I have the propensity to play the sequels likely depends on how invested I become in the first one. I'm fairly certain that I've suffered through worse games before based on much more mild curiosity. For practical reasons I'll probably play through Nier first, putting aside the temptation to play the game that supposedly takes place before it, and doing whatever it is that required to attain the particular ending that sets it up.

ShawnS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 41

Thanks for writing that up @mento . I was already a fan of Nier but haven't played it since 2010-ish so I forgot and mis-remembered a lot of that. And somehow the Resident Evil homage never dawned on me; how did I not catch that!? I'm very much looking forward to whatever Nier New Project is, good or bad.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mwng

@mento said:

I can recommend Drakengard 3, it's definitely the most memorable game I played in 2014, and probably a while to come... Gameplay is serviceable at best though, so don't expect too much (the framerate is actually worse than Nier...).

I've just recently finished Nier for the first time in anticipation of whatever it was they announced at E3 this year. I had a blast playing that too, but I have a weird thing where I love games that make me feel like shit... They're both excellent games trapped in bad games, or something? Maybe that's what makes them so good? Music in both was fantastic, so much so that I ended up with the soundtracks (mainly to soothe the PTSD the last boss in Drakengard 3 gave me).

Also looking into playing Drakengard 1 now, as screw continuity. As you mentioned, most people seem to skip Drakengard 2 as it isn't Yoko Taro enough?

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Liquidus

I gave Nier a shot and over the past week, it's become one of my favorite games of all time. Sure it's flawed but I don't understand the harsh criticism and reviews it got. Personally, I actually really enjoy the gameplay especially when you get to use spears and two-handed swords in combination with all the magic attacks. While mechanically its simplistic, the variety of boss fights and enemy types make up for it to me along with the shifts in genre/camera angles. It's a little under polished and like half the side quests are total bullshit but there's some really good ones there with nice little stories (nice as in good because none of them have happy endings).

But beyond that, that game is amazing. One of the best stories in games, super good voice acting, one of the most memorable soundtracks, I'd argue some areas look amazing from a design and mood standpoint and genius use of new game+. Seriously, on paper you tell someone you only get half the story the first time you beat they tend to go "Fuck off" but the way Nier does it is so smart it'd ruin the feeling you get on that second playthrough by showing that stuff first time around. I was attached to this cast of characters more than maybe any other game in...well this past generation? Grimoire Weiss, Kainé and Emil all really stuck with me as well the King of Facade.

I'm glad to see people giving this game a chance. It's not for everyone but there's people out there who will absolutely love it. Seriously, that soundtrack though.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petiew said:
    @asilentprotagonist said:

Beat ending "A" 2 days ago for the first time, and never has a game made me cry like a little bitch multiple times. Scared to do the other endings

The 2nd playthrough is much sadder and will make you feel like a terrible person. Have fun!

Brilliantly done. Ending D was the definition of selfless . The scene that got me every time on each playthrough was King Facade sacrifice I lost it each time. The Music, door closing, and the kings expression all combined with NIER's reaction, oh man. "See you around"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.