Should I play Nier?

#1 Posted by AuthenticM (3790 posts) -

Now this game has been out for quite some time. It got mixed and polarized reviews, but more leaning towards the negative spectrum. However, gameplay aside, I keep hearing here and there how great the game and characters are. This is a game from Cavia, makers of the batshit-insanity that was Drakengard. So should I play this game? If I stomach the gameplay, will I feel rewarded at the end? How long is the game?

#2 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

Yes you should (I like it though I'm not far in)

#3 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1365 posts) -

Yeah sure?

I likes youre icon OP.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

YES BEST GAME OF 2010 IT'S SO GREAT

#5 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

yes

#6 Edited by xyzygy (10065 posts) -

Yes. It has one of the best stories like EVER in a game and the setting and tone is just perfect. When you start doing quests you'll see a theme develop and it just builds and builds... Nier is one amazing game. And the characters and voicing are actually quite decent, especially considering it's a JRPG.

#7 Posted by Soap (3631 posts) -
#8 Posted by Bocam (3809 posts) -

Just so you know in order to understand the story you're going to have to beat it 4 times

#9 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

10 IF X = "WEEABOO" THEN
20 ? "PLAY NIER"
30 ELSE ? "CONGRATS, YOU HAVE A LIFE"

#10 Posted by Jazz (2294 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" Yes. It has one of the best stories like EVER in a game and the setting and tone is just perfect. When you start doing quests you'll see a theme develop and it just builds and builds... Nier is one amazing game. And the characters are actually quite decent. "
this..minus the 'like'
There is nothing wrong with the combat either. Though sometimes it goes into bullet hell territory
#11 Posted by AuthenticM (3790 posts) -

I just came back from FutureShop. They had Nier for 25$. You guys are telling me the game is well worth its price? If yes, I will go back there tomorrow to buy it.

#12 Posted by AuthenticM (3790 posts) -

Alright, I bought the game. Here's hoping I did the right thing by trusting the Giant Bomb forums. :)

#13 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

yes you should play this game.

#14 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -
#15 Posted by Omega (835 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
10 IF X = "WEEABOO" THEN20 ? "PLAY NIER"30 ELSE ? "CONGRATS, YOU HAVE A LIFE"
Can someone please translate this for me? Preferably English rather than its native batshit-insane. Thanks.
#16 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

It does not matter anymore cause you bought it. Some people seem to love it. It's a game with good ideas that never amount to much.
#17 Posted by Soap (3631 posts) -
#18 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -
@Soap
I'd read your blog.
#19 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Omega said:
@SeriouslyNow said:
Can someone please translate this for me? Preferably English rather than its native batshit-insane. Thanks.
BASIC =! batshit-insane.  BASIC.  It's a programming language.
#20 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
@Omega said:
@SeriouslyNow said:
Great. Now that doesn't help him or me understand it any better.
#21 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@yoshimitz707 said:
@SeriouslyNow said:
@Omega said:
@SeriouslyNow said:
Never heard of IF THEN ELSE statements?
#22 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

So if you're a weaboo play Nier. If not, congrats you have a life? What the fuck are the numbers for then?

#23 Posted by Omega (835 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
@yoshimitz707 said:
@SeriouslyNow said:
@Omega said:
@SeriouslyNow said:
Never heard of IF THEN ELSE statements?
Okay, thanks for the explanation. I get what you're saying now. 
#24 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -
@yoshimitz707 said:
So if you're a weaboo play Nier. If not, congrats you have a life? What the fuck are the numbers for then?
You're asking for something SeriouslyNow wrote to make sense.  Think about that for a second.
#25 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
@yoshimitz707 said:
You're asking for something SeriouslyNow wrote to make sense.  Think about that for a second.
If I could remember any of his posts maybe I would have known better. Though, I usually only remember people I really like and really hate so it's not surprising to me.
#26 Posted by AuthenticM (3790 posts) -

Played the game yesterday night. I will be honest.

That long-ass tutorial fight in the beginning? I almost turned off the console. Man... the gameplay is not very good. Button-mashy and clunky as hell. I persevered though, as I thought it would be foolish to stop playing a game I had bought after only 10 minutes. I played until the first quest (sheep meat) and found the game a lot more charming at that point. The soundtrack is just terrific, and while on the technical side of things the graphics are pretty bland, the game is still pretty to look at with all those great landscapes. Can I expect the entire game to be like this? I want to continue playing it.
#27 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:
Played the game yesterday night. I will be honest.

That long-ass tutorial fight in the beginning? I almost turned off the console. Man... the gameplay is not very good. Button-mashy and clunky as hell. I persevered though, as I thought it would be foolish to stop playing a game I had bought after only 10 minutes. I played until the first quest (sheep meat) and found the game a lot more charming at that point. The soundtrack is just terrific, and while on the technical side of things the graphics are pretty bland, the game is still pretty to look at with all those great landscapes. Can I expect the entire game to be like this? I want to continue playing it.
I'm about 12 side quests in and the charm just get's better of the game, some of which side quest wise gripped my heart, And having Weiss around for commentary is great, I can't wait for Kaine to finally join up as well. I know the combat is a bit clunky but it's a good game with a lovely soundtrack and it's well worth your time especially so far, for the story for me..
#28 Posted by Levio (1785 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:
as I thought it would be foolish to stop playing a game I had bought after only 10 minutes. 
I wonder if I'm the only one who does this.  Just the other day I played demigod for 10 minutes then quit with no intention of playing it again.
#29 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@Levio said:
@AuthenticM said:
as I thought it would be foolish to stop playing a game I had bought after only 10 minutes. 
I wonder if I'm the only one who does this.  Just the other day I played demigod for 10 minutes then quit with no intention of playing it again.
I played Kane and Lynch 2 for 30 minutes before doing the same. And I usually give a game at least an hour before I decide if I'm going to continue with it or not. Worst $5 spent on a game so far.
#30 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -

It depends.  It's good, but there are a whole lot of games I can think of that you should play before you play Nier.  If you can pick it up at a reasonable price ($10 or so), go for it; if not, you're not missing anything that great.  There are a lot of really boring sidequests that you don't really hear much about from those who really love the game (go fetch 3 of these, 5 of these and 2 of these).  The story and characters are tight, but there are a whole lot of aspects of the game that feel either completely dated or unnecessary at best.  I don't mind the combat, as some people like to rip on, but it's just all the unnecessary padding that I think makes it an overall mediocre game.

#31 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

I think the story is one of Nier's largest strengths. 

Underrated game imo, still playing it and having a very enjoyable experience. Only negative is the backtracking, but even then I can live with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.