Square's Newest Is Nier

• 64 results
Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Square Enix's newest game Nier was revealed earlier today by the appearance of a Web site for the game. Details are sketchy at the moment but from the included trailer the game looks real-time action oriented with a smathering of the usual Square epic-story interludes. Notable is the presence of a few buckets of blood, something not entirely common for the Japanese company most famous for its Final Fantasy PG-13 violence.

Here are some early screens and a trailer pulled from the Nier site. I'd expect we'll hear more about this one later in the week.

#1 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Square Enix's newest game Nier was revealed earlier today by the appearance of a Web site for the game. Details are sketchy at the moment but from the included trailer the game looks real-time action oriented with a smathering of the usual Square epic-story interludes. Notable is the presence of a few buckets of blood, something not entirely common for the Japanese company most famous for its Final Fantasy PG-13 violence.

Here are some early screens and a trailer pulled from the Nier site. I'd expect we'll hear more about this one later in the week.

#2 Posted by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -

looks....lame

#3 Posted by SenorDingDong (40 posts) -

Looks interesting.  Will wait to see more.

#4 Edited by ChrisTaran (1579 posts) -

Looks a little rough/early to me to be showing this.  But hey, it's Square, people will be excited regardless!

#5 Posted by Mikemcn (6968 posts) -

Looks unique, have no idea whats going on in it though

#6 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Looks, kind of lame to be honest, I mean it sorta seems like Square's take on Bayonetta :/
Of course I see they have their totally original weapon design choice
"Short swords are old, let's do something fresh and brand new and make him have a huge sword!"

#7 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -
SenorDingDong said:
Looks interesting.  Will wait to see more.

#8 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -

Hello hack and slash...

#9 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

looks like they should have done some polishing before releasing this video

#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

...So its square trying to make a Devil May Cry or God of War style game. Considering their past record of action games, I really don't have high expectations.

#11 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Devil May Cry: Square Enix Needs Money Edition.

Not interested.  Give me Vagrant Story 2 instead.
#12 Posted by solidsnake360 (99 posts) -

Nice Clockwork Orange reference.

#13 Posted by motang (62 posts) -
@LiveOrDie1212: I know...not much to the trailer!
#14 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@jakob187: Genius.
#15 Posted by Artemis_D (817 posts) -

...I don't understand how any of you are making any conclusions from a one minute trailer.

#16 Posted by Cerza (1653 posts) -

Hmmmmm......

#17 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

Japan's gonna be the home of the hack and slash.

#18 Posted by TheOGVandalvideo (142 posts) -

This game shows that Square has a wide range of art styles up their sleeve. They can range their style from androgynous, spikey haired youth to slightly less androgynous, spikey haired old guy. I'm really impressed with this showing.

Nah, I'm more interested in Bayonetta.

#19 Posted by CronoXtream (119 posts) -

they need to stop making these faggot games and do a final fantasy 7 remake..^_^

#20 Posted by BirthWild (259 posts) -

aw manz, I'm not diggin that character at alllllllllll.

#21 Posted by Jimbo7676 (714 posts) -

bouncer anyone?

#22 Posted by Deusoma (3004 posts) -

Holy fuck, forget the blood, this is a Japanese game by Square-Enix of all people...

And the protagonist has a beard.

#23 Posted by TobyD81 (1227 posts) -

Mmm, looks okay, not much to latch on to. Next year when we have Bayonetta and God of War 3, will there still be room for this game?

#24 Posted by Dommel (7 posts) -

Nier is dutch for kidney, bet you didn`t know that.

And now you do!

#25 Posted by ZagZagovich (757 posts) -

Kind of a weird main character and not in a good way but in Dante's Inferno kind of way. It's like they think they know what they are doing but they don't have even a remote idea how silly it looks. It might be alright if the team knows what it's doing.

#26 Posted by ThomasP (1655 posts) -

I'm slightly interested.

#27 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

Calling it now; awful.

#28 Posted by DrRandle (1202 posts) -

Obviously you guys just don't get it. He has a big sword. You know else had a big sword? Cloud. And that game was the end all to video games. We should just pack it in because clearly this is the FFVII successor that we've all been waiting for. It's done. Pack it up, let's go. Big swords. Shut it down.

Personally I'm just glad this trailer actually had bits of actual gameplay and not just stupid teasing of teases, countdowns, and somebody reading off the back of a book jacket. THe game still looks terrible, though. Also. That whole near/neir pun? No. Just? No.

#29 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

Hey, "Nier" sounds the same as "near"!

I'm sure that will be used in every trailer released for this game.

#30 Posted by Earthborn (386 posts) -
@Dommel:
I guess that makes sense seeing as how there'll be pixellated kidneys flying all over this game's face.   =D
#31 Posted by DannyJ (445 posts) -

I kind of hope this does well, because Im getting tired of Square Enix constantly making Final Fantasy games. As much as I like solid RPGs, the Final Fantasy series is just becoming so blah.

#32 Edited by JackiJinx (3089 posts) -

Square Enix's Quest to Churn Out A New IP VI: Nier Today, Gone Tomorrow.

#33 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
DannyJ said:
I kind of hope this does well, because Im getting tired of Square Enix constantly making Final Fantasy games. As ... [more]
Agreed. This looks interesting, guess we will find out in 2013.
#34 Posted by remixrunixlp (42 posts) -

looks....weak....

but hey, you never know. i thought they went off the deep end with FF12, and then...oh wait i hated that game...

The Peanut Gallery

#35 Posted by Nasar7 (2611 posts) -
JackiJinx said:
Square Enix's Quest to Churn Out A New IP VI: Nier Today, Gone Tomorrow.
I'm inclined to agree, but I still hope they finally do it with one of these attempts.
#36 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

And as i've been frequent in saying lately when i hear about new sqaure projects.
WHAT THE FUCK?! Dammit finish what you all ready have in the pipe then start new projects you have so many games comming out that need attention and have been in the works for a while.

#37 Posted by Lepuke (327 posts) -

The gameplay scenes remind me of "Sword of the Berserk", an semi obscure Sega Dreamcast exclusive game.

#38 Posted by InFamous91 (931 posts) -

wasn't really expecting sqaure enix to be behind this

#39 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

lets hope this brings something new to the table, and isn't just another button masher. 

#40 Edited by Milkman (16618 posts) -

My money is on a lazy God of War clone but I'll keep an open mind.

#41 Posted by SavoyPrime (37 posts) -

Square Enix doing something that isn't a RPG equals instant fail. Dirge of Cerberus anyone? XD

#42 Posted by FrumpyBiscuts (93 posts) -

It looks kinda like Kingdom Hearts and Viking: Battle for Asgard had a child and then that child went off to have a child with Dante's Inferno. They named this child . . . Nier.

#43 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

I am solidly unimpressed. The trailer appears to depict some kind of illness (zombie virus?) that took over the population of the world and ended civilization as we know it. Now this dude is going to take it all back... Him and his giant sword. So there's your unoriginal storyline.

Now the gameplay looks like a dated God of War clone. Not just a clone. A dated clone.

#44 Posted by Noremakk (147 posts) -

Hmm... It looks kind of lame. Even the blood effects look generally unsatisfying. I'd rather have Final Fantasy/PG-13 bloodless violence than those silly texture effects.

#45 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3233 posts) -

This looks terrible. I like Dissidia, Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts 2 but that's because those games don't look like the most boring gray shovelware from the first time I see them.

This is literally the most boring looking game I've seen in a while.

#46 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3233 posts) -
@Lepuke: You mean the Berserk game? That game's fun but that's because Berserk itself is awesome.
#47 Posted by CommodoreGroovy (550 posts) -

Your mom was "nier" me last night.

Yep, I'm gonna call it. This game is gonna blow. You can't even make a decent momma joke out of it. 100% proof.

#48 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Generic looking tripe.

#49 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Don't worry guys, Square Enix is great at developing things that aren't final fantasy. I have such fond memories of Project Sylpheed, Vagrant Story, infinite undiscovery..etc. Rest assured that this project is in good hands.

#50 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater: Crisis Core was an action game? Could have fooled me. I thought I was playing a turn based RPG, but it turns out I was playing and action game all along!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.