NiGHTS Into Dreams HD coming to XBLA, PSN and PC

#1 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -
#2 Posted by 71Ranchero (2834 posts) -

Very excited for this. Next up Panzer Dragoon Saga I hope.

#3 Edited by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

Next up Panzer Dragoon Saga I hope.

I would kill anyone for this. I'm sure it's not as good as we remember it, but I really want to play it again. I sold my copy but remember loving it at the time. I just wonder if Sega would put in the time to overhaul that entire game. It was pretty big, no? Seems like a lot more work than NiGHTS, which is pretty short.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Atramentous:

Unfortunately, there's a slim chance of that happening. They lost the source code a while back, so they'd essentially have to build the game from the ground up all over again to get it working. Still, NiGHTS is awesome.

#5 Edited by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

Was the Wii sequel really bad? I didn't play it at the time.

#6 Edited by C0V3RT (1380 posts) -

Fingers crossed for Christmas NiGHTS as DLC this holiday!

#7 Posted by jakob187 (21763 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Atramentous:

Unfortunately, there's a slim chance of that happening. They lost the source code a while back, so they'd essentially have to build the game from the ground up all over again to get it working. Still, NiGHTS is awesome.

Then a new Panzar Dragoon. I'm sure at this point that we'll all take anything Panzer Dragoon as long as it's good.

As for the NiGHTS HD release, SHIT YEAH! I played the FUCK out of that game on Saturn (and no, it's not because it was one of the few games to play on Saturn...there was actually a library of games I enjoyed on there). The game looks good in HD for what it is, and I'm stoked to play it!

#8 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

I was waiting for this; I'm really excited!

#9 Posted by ddensel (388 posts) -

This is great news, I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out.

Hopefully this will mean more Saturn re-releases on consoles. I always wanted to play Burning Rangers or Shining Force III...

#10 Posted by 71Ranchero (2834 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I dont think its a slim chance, after all just look at the Silent Hill Collection and other HD re-releases.

@jakob187: Looks like the Sega Ages PS2 releases of Dynamite Dekka, Gunstar Heroes, and Dragon Force(!) are all coming to PSN.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Atramentous:

The difference there is that with those games, they simply had to take the original game, tweak it so it'd work on modern consoles, and clean up the graphics. An HD remake of Panzer Dragoon Saga would essentially require either hacking the source code out of the original (which I'm not sure is even possible) or making the game all over again, and I'm not sure the game would be profitable enough to justify either scenario.

#12 Edited by 71Ranchero (2834 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: They did not have the source code for the PS1 Silent Hill games.

EDIT: Rather, they had a version of the source, but they ended up having to recompile the retail game and work backwards. Its not impossible, even if its unlikely.

#13 Posted by ajamafalous (12164 posts) -

OH FUUUUUUUUCK

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Atramentous:

I suspect you mean the PS2 ones. Either that, or you're referring to Shattered Dimensions, which is a completely different game altogether. The PS2 ones, on the other hand, were, for the most part, released on the PS2 and Xbox, making them easier to port, since both consoles have some degree of backwards compatibility. Panzer Dragoon Saga was for the Saturn, and while Sega does own a Saturn emulator, Sega Saturn emulation is finicky as shit (the system defied all common sense by slapping two CPUs together), and I'm not sure how compatible said emulator would be with modern consoles.

#15 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

@ddensel said:

Hopefully this will mean more Saturn re-releases on consoles. I always wanted to play Burning Rangers or Shining Force III...

FUCK YEAH BURNING RANGERS. That game was awesome. I used it as my answer in a recent 'what game do you want re-released' thread.

#16 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

"Quick Look" of this is up on GameSpot now, if anyone's interested: linky.

#17 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -
#18 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

Sega today confirmed that this will be 800 points and, more importantly, it comes with the Christmas Nights stuff for free. HOLY SHIT. Christmas Nights is pretty much the biggest nostalgia trip my brain can get. I used to play it every Christmas because it's the most festive thing in the world.

I know a lot of people like to shit on Nights these days, but my body is very much ready.

#19 Posted by handlas (2762 posts) -

sooo anyone get it? No demo, no buy! I remember playing it on Sega Saturn and loving it. I imagine it doesn't hold up at all. Someone detail it to me!

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

I want a quick look of this game with Jeff as the secondary. I never played or even see this game and am curious about it because It is held as one of those rarely played gems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.