Allies: Liu Kang, Raiden, Kung Lao, Ermac
Enemies: Onaga, Shao Kahn
Nightwolf is an Apache warrior-shaman who is also a scholarly historian. Though absent in the first two Mortal Kombat tournaments, he was in contact with Raiden through a series of visions that warned him of the coming assault on Earthrealm. As a result, Nightwolf used his impressive power to shield his homeland and its people from the power that harvested the souls of most of Earth's inhabitants. As a result, Nightwolf's land became a powerful foothold against Shao Kahn's forces. He draws power from the spirit world that gives him supernatural abilities.
After the initial assault, the defenders of Earth were drawn to Nightwolf's sanctuary to consolidate and marshal their forces enough to stage a proper counter-attack. They head to New York, the center of the invasion, to face Shao Kahn and the legion of Outworld. He was instrumental in their victory, though he himself did not defeat the Emperor. After the victory, he began to have horrible, recurring nightmares about the resurrection of the Dragon King, which he came to recognize as a warning. Sadly, he was not able to ascertain exactly what the threat was and Reptile was able to become the vessel for the soul of Onaga, the Dragon King, and manifest in reality.
Nightwolf, ever the forward-thinker, devised a way to destroy Onaga. He would use the method passed down from his forefathers through his tribe: the method of Sin Eating. Through the absorption of sin and wickedness of his tribe and his ancestors, he would be able to wield enough power to destroy Onaga, but it would come at a terrible price: the corruption of his own soul. To avoid harming anyone he cares for, he exiles himself and goes to defeat Onaga. His pupil Shujinko is the one who actually defeated the Dragon King, but his weakened state allowed Nightwolf to put his plan into action. Unleashing the power of the Sin Eater and bound Onaga's soul to the Netherealm. This had the side-effect of liberating Reptile and reducing him to his original power.
A pack of wolves, Nightwolf's spirit guide, led him back to Earthrealm, but there was little time to rest on his laurels as yet more prophetic dreams began to assail him nightly. These told of a massive battle that would take place sometime soon and involve nearly everyone who'd been involved in Mortal Kombat in the past. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy when Nightwolf had to contact Johnny Cage and his other allies to assist him in battling the fallen elder god Shinnok.
Before the final battle, Kitana brought the lost spirit of Liu Kang to Nightwolf. Their connection had kept Kang's soul from simply dissolving. Though he was exhausted from his battle with Onaga, Nightwolf was able to take on the burden of looking after Liu Kang's soul until a way could be found to join it with his body again. He proceeded to the massive battle, hoping that the strange power that drew the two sides together could join Kang's soul and body, bringing the noble warrior back to life.
- Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3: Nightwolf confronts and defeats Shao Kahn, returning Earth to a peaceful state. With his newfound power, he is able to reclaim the land that his people lost so long ago. Their nation becomes renowned for its nobility, and his people become some of the greatest leaders the Earth has ever known.
- Mortal Kombat: Deception: Having tracked down Onaga's lair, Nightwolf goes to work tracing ancient binding symbols on the ground. He unleashes the power of his tribe's sins, binding Onaga to Netherealm and expelling Nightwolf as he's no longer corrupt enough to remain.
- Mortal Kombat: Armageddon: Nightwolf absorbs the power of Blaze and transcends his flesh and his humanity, becoming the most powerful shaman ever to exist. He has become a living ghost! Using his newfound power and abilities, he joins Liu Kang's body and soul, reviving his dear friend.
- Mortal Kombat (2011): Nightwolf fought with all his might against Shao Kahn, but in the end, the spirit wolf was gone. The shaman goes back to his elders to help reconnect him with the spirit world. In the ritual, the wolf that had aided Nightwolf was changed, as Shao Kahn has resurrected. With Nightwolf as his new body host, Shao Kahn will take over Earthrealm.
Mortal Kombat (2011)
Special Attacks / Enhanced
- Green Arrow
- Reflect Glow
- Shoulder Charge
- Summon Lightning
Nightwolf, facing his opponent's back, summons two tomahawks and viciously lodges them between the victim's neck and shoulders. He then delivers a fierce kick to the foe's back, breaking several vertebrae.
- Tomahawk Chop - Nightwolf throws one tomahawk directly into his enemy's forehead, then slings a second that decapitates the victim. He picks up the second tomahawk with the opponent's head still attached and holds it high in victory.
Appearances in Other Media
- Nightwolf appears in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, knocking out Liu Kang and teaching him about "unleashing his animality." He is played by Litefoot.
- He is one of the primary characters in the Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm cartoon show with a wolf familiar named Kiva which he can merge with to become more powerful.