Do you think Niko is Russian or Serbian?

#1 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -

Theres been some talking about if Niko is russian or serbian.What do you think?

#2 Edited by Karmum (11517 posts) -

Well, the gamepage says he was either from Croatia or Serbia, because he was a Veteran of the Bosnian War. So that probably rules out Russian.

#3 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

He is Serbian...

#4 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

eastern euro is good for me 

#5 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -

He said he was Serbian

#6 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

I think hes Spanish...

#7 Edited by Keyser_Soze (1186 posts) -

He's 1/2 Serbian, 1/4 Croat, 1/4 Bosnian and lived most of his life in nowaday Kosovo. Oooh touchy. I want a Serb v Croat v Bosnian v Kosovan online war right now.

And just to get things going Josip Tito was a better leader than that imbecile Milosevic was anyday.

#8 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@dbz1995 said:
" I think hes Spanish... "
Are you a Moron?
#9 Posted by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

He's not Russian. He says that several times during the game. I believe he is either Serbian or Croatian.

#10 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

I thought he was from Canada. >_>

#11 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" He's not Russian. He says that several times during the game. I believe he is either Serbian or Croatian. "
he's right Niko says he hates ruskies a ton of time during the game
#12 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@PeasForFees said:
" @dbz1995 said:
Are you a Moron? "
Yes. Yes I am.
#13 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -
@PeasForFees said:
"@dbz1995 said:
Are you a Moron?"
Sarcasm bud....sarcasm.
#14 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

Well, what language is he speaking when he's speaking his native language? We know for a fact it isn't Russian, but it almost definitely is a language from one of the Balkan states.

#15 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -
@PeasForFees said:
" @dbz1995 said:
Are you a Moron? "
Oh snap! Shit just got real!
#16 Posted by Milkman (16526 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the game tells you that he's Serbian.

#17 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

The game never says where he's from, but Niko makes it clear that he isn't Russian.

#18 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

I believe on his singles page it says he's Serbian. Either that, or it was on the police records. I know it wasn't specifically told to you in the main story, but there is a place in-game that tells you. I don't remember where exactly, but I do remember reading it.

#19 Posted by Forcen (1804 posts) -

He speaks Serbian in the cutscenes.

#20 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -
@Suicrat: He speaks serbian/croatian (Serbian and croatian is the same language)Because i can speak that language...a lil bit.
#21 Posted by Captain_Insano (1527 posts) -

He's Serbian, no question about it

#22 Posted by aceedkins (192 posts) -
@OutOfBounds9000 said:
" Theres been some talking about if Niko is russian or serbian.What do you think? "
He's definitely not russian. I remember at one point playboy X keeps referring to Nico as Russian, and he keeps correcting him.
#23 Posted by Creamypies (4051 posts) -

There's no debate here. Niko IS Serbian.

#24 Posted by Einherjan (582 posts) -

I can't remember what part of the game this happens. It is most likely after he says he's Serbian, but he does say he fought in the war. The only major war that occurred in Eastern Europe was the Bosnian War. There were others too, but it's the most famous.

#25 Posted by kssunderland (16 posts) -
@aceedkins: You spelt his name wrong, you dumbass....
#26 Posted by aceedkins (192 posts) -
@kssunderland said:
" @aceedkins: You spelt his name wrong, you dumbass.... "
This was a worthwhile post. It contributed to the topic greatly.
#27 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -
@dcpc10: I completed the game three times!
#28 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

he's not russian as many people pointed out. Nut who cares where he is form anyway.

#29 Posted by Loc95 (35 posts) -

I do. Well, people, Niko is Serbiaaaan... it was revealed that he was born in Yugoslavia (old name of Serbia). And he can't be Canadian as someone mentioned it. His accent is too bad (if someone doesn't know - Canadians also speak English)

And I'm sure that the language he sometimes used isn't Russian. But I can't bet everything on that's Serbian. End. :P

#30 Posted by Tebbit (4449 posts) -
@Loc95 said:
Canadians also speak English
what
#31 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -
@Loc95 said:
" I do. Well, people, Niko is Serbiaaaan... it was revealed that he was born in Yugoslavia (old name of Serbia). And he can't be Canadian as someone mentioned it. His accent is too bad (if someone doesn't know - Canadians also speak English) And I'm sure that the language he sometimes used isn't Russian. But I can't bet everything on that's Serbian. End. :P "
Yes,we know it was called Yugoslavia before the war.We did not skip history class,alright.....*sigh*
#32 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -
@Tebbit: I hate u
#33 Posted by leky1 (829 posts) -
@Keyser_Soze said:
" He's 1/2 Serbian, 1/4 Croat, 1/4 Bosnian and lived most of his life in nowaday Kosovo. Oooh touchy. I want a Serb v Croat v Bosnian v Kosovan online war right now.And just to get things going Josip Tito was a better leader than that imbecile Milosevic was anyday. "
yup
#34 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

hes from the old country

#35 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@dbz1995 said:
Ha. Funny. 

Anyway, Lost and Damned pretty much said flat out that hes Serbian.
#36 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -
@unclejohnny79: Hrmm,true.
#37 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -
"It is suggested that Niko was born in Yugoslavia and grew up in a small town in modern-day Serbia."

I'd say he's Serbian.
#38 Posted by wwfundertaker (1396 posts) -

He is from Serbia.

#39 Posted by Nate (702 posts) -
#40 Posted by Nate (702 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @dbz1995 said:
Ha. Funny.  Anyway, Lost and Damned pretty much said flat out that hes Serbian. "
Thanks for the SPOILER jerk!  I haven't played TLAD yet  . . . jk  :)
#41 Posted by Ghostiet (5224 posts) -

Why the fuck people still post in an old topic to which an answer was given 50 FUCKING TIMES?

#42 Posted by IchiroYagiza (442 posts) -

He's Serbian.

#43 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:
" Why the fuck people still post in an old topic to which an answer was given 50 FUCKING TIMES? "
Because it's more of a debate. People are just answering the question asked i guess.
#44 Edited by Ghostiet (5224 posts) -
@CornontheCobbe said:

" @Ghostiet said:
" Why the fuck people still post in an old topic to which an answer was given 50 FUCKING TIMES? "Because it's more of a debate. People are just answering the question asked i guess. "

Maybe it's just me, but when people visit a topic and leave one sentence which was already posted 30 times and do not offer anything more to the discussion, this can hardly pass as a debate.

Not to forget someone bumped a month old topic that was left answered a million times.

#45 Posted by HatKing (5817 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:
"@CornontheCobbe said:

" @Ghostiet said:
" Why the fuck people still post in an old topic to which an answer was given 50 FUCKING TIMES? "Because it's more of a debate. People are just answering the question asked i guess. "

Maybe it's just me, but when people visit a topic and leave one sentence which was already posted 30 times and do not offer anything more to the discussion, this can hardly pass as a debate.

Not to forget someone bumped a month old topic that was left answered a million times.

"

He is Serbian.
#46 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -
@Ghostiet: This is true. I see where your coming from. Haha, and it's been way over a month too, so i don't know why we really bothered bumping it!!
#47 Posted by Ghostiet (5224 posts) -
@HatKing: I almost fell from my chair, thanks for the good lulz.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.