Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ninja Gaiden 3

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

Ninja Gaiden 3 is the first main entry in the modern Ninja Gaiden series not to be directed by former Team Ninja head Tomonobu Itagaki. NG3 features new game mechanics, a focus on consequence and 8-player online modes.

Wii U's Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge to bring back dismemberment.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd say that sounds awesome, but I can't really remember why Ninja Gaiden 3 wasn't well received in the first place.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hailinel

@Video_Game_King said:

I'd say that sounds awesome, but I can't really remember why Ninja Gaiden 3 wasn't well received in the first place.

Pretty much because all of the above were lacking, if I recall correctly.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel:

If true, then awesome.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Video_Game_King: It wasn't a pretty good Ninja Gaiden game, because these features were lacking, but it was a completely competent action game.
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ramone

So you're getting a Wii U then.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hailinel

Edited for more news related to the game. Nintendo is publishing it.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

That is a good start but it's hardly enough to fix Ninja Gaiden 3.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoOzak

@Video_Game_King: I wrote a long rant about the issues I had with the game when it first came out.

..Then again i'm a raging fanboy so my opinion probably wont resonate with most people. I'm glad they care enough to fix some of the things that were lacking but i'm not sure I'd want to play a game like that with a Wii-U controller. Maby it would make the constant QTE's better? Who knows..

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By JJOR64

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Yeah. From what I've heard Ninja Gaiden 3 isn't good at all.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@JJOR64 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

You heard correct, that game was flawed from the day the design doc was written. It's worst problems are with the fundamental design of the combat, narrative and structure.

Greywingedfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Greywingedfall

I got a feeling that Ninja gaiden 3 "sigma" for both PS360XBOX next year maybe?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@JJOR64 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

You heard correct, that game was flawed from the day the design doc was written. It's worst problems are with the fundamental design of the combat, narrative and structure.

I wonder how much of the game was just flawed from the star versus Team Ninja not being given the time to implement everything that they wanted. Razor's Edge just seems like a more complete version of the game, from the descriptions given.

@Greywingedfall said:

I got a feeling that Ninja gaiden 3 "sigma" for both PS360XBOX next year maybe?

Razor's Edge pretty much is the Sigma version. Sigma 1 and 2 were enhanced ports to the PS3. This Wii U game is basically the equivalent to that.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@JJOR64 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I wonder how much of the game was just flawed from the star versus Team Ninja not being given the time to implement everything that they wanted. Razor's Edge just seems like a more complete version of the game, from the descriptions given.

I get the feeling that Ninja Gaiden 3 is exactly the game they wanted to make. The game did have a clear vision, one I felt was deeply flawed. Razor's Edge feel like a direct response to the complaints.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By bed

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@JJOR64 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I get the feeling that Ninja Gaiden 3 is exactly the game they wanted to make. The game did have a clear vision, one I felt was deeply flawed. Razor's Edge feel like a direct response to the complaints.

i always get the feeling that the new Team Ninja just make really questionable design decisions just to spite Itagaki. removing the blood from Sigma 2, but keeping in dismemberment, keeping in the blood for Ninja Gaiden 3 but removing dismemberment just makes absolutely no sense to me. it's like they wanted to ruin Itagaki's vision of Ninja Gaiden II when he wanted to make it the bloodiest thing ever. it's not any better that they proceed to make Dead or Alive Paradise on the PSP, when they know that Itagaki has a strong preference for the Xbox.

it's not like they make terrible games. Sigma 2 itself is what i preferred over Ninja Gaiden II (despite weird decisions i noticed after playing Ninja Gaiden II) and Dead or Alive 5 is shaping up to be a pretty great fighter.

fuck, i don't know.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel

@AjayRaz said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@JJOR64 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

i always get the feeling that the new Team Ninja just make really questionable design decisions just to spite Itagaki. removing the blood from Sigma 2, but keeping in dismemberment, keeping in the blood for Ninja Gaiden 3 but removing dismemberment just makes absolutely no sense to me. it's like they wanted to ruin Itagaki's vision of Ninja Gaiden II when he wanted to make it the bloodiest thing ever. it's not any better that they proceed to make Dead or Alive Paradise on the PSP, when they know that Itagaki has a strong preference for the Xbox.

it's not like they make terrible games. Sigma 2 itself is what i preferred over Ninja Gaiden II (despite weird decisions i noticed after playing Ninja Gaiden II) and Dead or Alive 5 is shaping up to be a pretty great fighter.

fuck, i don't know.

I think that people just need to get used to the idea that Team Ninja choices as they are now will never equate to what Itagaki would do if he were still in charge there. Hayashi isn't a bad producer; he was in charge of the Sigma versions of Ninja Gaiden I and II. His team put together a very fun fighter in DOA Dimensions on the 3DS. I don't care what the haters say, Other M was fucking fantastic in the gameplay that the team conceived. By my count, he's still had more hits than misses in the post-Itagaki era. But it's apparently impossible for him to get his due credit for running the ship as well as he has because he doesn't carry the public persona of a brash booze-drinker that wears sunglasses at night and in doors.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By bed

@Hailinel: i despise Itagaki's shameless bias and ridiculous shots at others as much as i adore the games he's crafted (with exceptions). i liked Sigma 1 and 2, i thoroughly enjoyed Dimensions and i'm currently digging the alpha build of Dead or Alive 5, eagerly awaiting September for the full release. i respect the decisions and choices that Hayashi made, and the ones that he continues to make. he wasn't afraid to go against Itagaki and he wasn't afraid to take games in another direction without the original creator at the head. i respect both Itagaki and Hayashi as designers.

however, while i can respect decisions, it doesn't mean i have to like them. i have no problems admitting that i found that some of the games created under his supervision have had some really odd design choices. there are some choices (such as omitting dismemberment in a game that has emphasis the feeling of cutting somebody down) that make no sense to me at all.

once again, i'm not saying the games they made were terrible. Sigma 1 and 2 are great, but they could have made some decisions that made their finished products a lot more appealing.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By KingBroly

So...they're bringing back the Ninja Gaiden to Ninja Gaiden? That's good I guess.

I believe dismemberment was cut as something to increase the game's framerate on PS3, but I'm not really sure. I don't understand the removal of the Windmill Shuriken or Tests of Valor however, as those baffle me to no end.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.