Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version Delayed And (Gasp) Missing eShop Launch

Posted by patrickklepek (6012 posts) -
Shell out or kiss this game goodbye.

The launch of Nintendo's 3DS marketplace, eShop, has just taken a hit. A serious god damn hit. Capcom announced today Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version has been delayed and will not be hitting the launch window.

"It's always been our aim in the production of this game to create something that would provide a fun time for all," explained producer Tatsuya Kitabayashi in a blog post on Capcom Unity, "and from here on out, we will be maintaining this aim with a renewed desire to create a product of the highest quality. Please wait just a little longer!"

Nintendo recently revealed the 3DS firmware update adding eShop is coming on June 7.

== TEASER ==

If you're not familiar, the Prototype Version subtitle comes from the strange nature of the game's development. Mega Man Legends 3 is not a sure thing. Prototype Version is a paid in-development slice of the game, designed to do two things: gauge financial interest in the game and allow dedicated fans who've been working with Capcom to influence the game's development a window into the work.

It's a demo...but it's not. Thus, the pay model. Capcom has not announced the price point for Prototype Version in the US, but it's charging 200 yen ($2.40) in Japan. Pretty similar pricing would make sense.

"The nature of games development is that sudden changes are prone to occur at any time, one after another," said Mega Man Legends 3 web planner Kinako Ikawa in another post. "But to make you all wait even longer for this game is an incredibly regrettable outcome that all of us are sorry for."

Capcom told me more details on what's happening with Prototype Version is coming soon.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (6012 posts) -
Shell out or kiss this game goodbye.

The launch of Nintendo's 3DS marketplace, eShop, has just taken a hit. A serious god damn hit. Capcom announced today Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version has been delayed and will not be hitting the launch window.

"It's always been our aim in the production of this game to create something that would provide a fun time for all," explained producer Tatsuya Kitabayashi in a blog post on Capcom Unity, "and from here on out, we will be maintaining this aim with a renewed desire to create a product of the highest quality. Please wait just a little longer!"

Nintendo recently revealed the 3DS firmware update adding eShop is coming on June 7.

== TEASER ==

If you're not familiar, the Prototype Version subtitle comes from the strange nature of the game's development. Mega Man Legends 3 is not a sure thing. Prototype Version is a paid in-development slice of the game, designed to do two things: gauge financial interest in the game and allow dedicated fans who've been working with Capcom to influence the game's development a window into the work.

It's a demo...but it's not. Thus, the pay model. Capcom has not announced the price point for Prototype Version in the US, but it's charging 200 yen ($2.40) in Japan. Pretty similar pricing would make sense.

"The nature of games development is that sudden changes are prone to occur at any time, one after another," said Mega Man Legends 3 web planner Kinako Ikawa in another post. "But to make you all wait even longer for this game is an incredibly regrettable outcome that all of us are sorry for."

Capcom told me more details on what's happening with Prototype Version is coming soon.

#2 Posted by HonoredSamurai (106 posts) -

I love this franchise, what a shame.

#3 Edited by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Man I really hope this game comes out.

Great series.

#4 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -

Well now the e shop launch kind of sucks, what else is there to get now?

#5 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

patrickklepek 
Patrick turn around Jeff's behind and he has got his Cop knife Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Posted by BLipp18 (256 posts) -

dont worry people, i heard the 3DS eShop has a launch window from E3 to Tokyo Game Show, so every game will come out in October/November and miss it *coughCrap3DSLaunchWindowcough*

#7 Posted by Onizuka36 (27 posts) -

Take as much time as needed. Fans are willing to wait.
#8 Posted by EdsXwing (58 posts) -

Time to fill the slot with some more notebooks...

#9 Posted by Sargus (732 posts) -

No joke, I was actually looking forward to this. Bummer.

#10 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

They are making bad situation even worse

#11 Posted by warmonked (370 posts) -

If I understand this correctly, paying for this beta does not mean you get access to the full game because they may never make the full game. F that!

#12 Edited by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Shame, but since devs want money and players want a good game, I assume it is worth it.

#13 Posted by chickdigger802 (502 posts) -

delaying paid demos. Times are changing. But w/e its all business. They want to stay clear of the my notebook 3d and other big competitors.

#14 Edited by bko (131 posts) -

Unfinished game delayed for being ... too unfinished? That's a new one.

#15 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -

Choo Choo?

#16 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

If everyone's going to randomly start adopting the Blizzard/Steam approach to game development, (release it when its done) just stop giving us release dates.

#17 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5288 posts) -

So is that free Excitebike 3D a thing when the E shop launches or did I hear incorrectly?

#18 Posted by Warchief (658 posts) -

Choo Chooo! 

#19 Posted by zigx (78 posts) -

Well as we all know, the train waits for no one. Next stop June 7th, eShop launch! Megaman or no Megaman.

#20 Posted by Pabba (384 posts) -

This hurts on multiple levels. Next we're gonna learn we're not getting 3D Excite Bike for free.

#21 Posted by MikkaQ (10331 posts) -

Meh, I'm not paying for a demo. Maybe release a whole product and I'll buy it, but this just sours my disposition to Mega Man Legends 3.

Also what is the e-shop going to launch with now? I haven't seen much being announced.

I'm betting this'll be another ignored mess like DSi and Wii Ware. 
#22 Posted by kamiboy (26 posts) -

It is pretty clear that with Inafune's departure the top brass are keen on cancelling this pet project of his. This whole paid demo thing reeks of the development staff desperately grasping at straws to keep the project alive. In that sense having been a launch title for the 3DS's digital distribution channel would have helped a lot. Being able to point to a healthy number of sales for a development slice would no doubt do much to convince the viability of the project, otherwise I think this thing is currently in a most precarious situation.

#23 Posted by walterbennet (155 posts) -

Hey, give them a break. They need more time to polish the unpolished prototype for a public beta test.

#24 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

GOD DAMN IT CAPCOM

I WILL SHIV YOU IF YOU DON'T RELEASE MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3

YOU SICK AND TWISTED FUCKS

#25 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2393 posts) -

3DS is losing my interest fast.

#26 Posted by Kirbichu54 (120 posts) -
@warmonked: It's not even a beta, it's more like an alpha at this point.
#27 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

3DS is a big flop in my opinion. It's a DS with 3D that hurts your eyes over a short period of time, of which you have to hold it on a set angle to even see the 3D properly, and there is no stand out games (I'm sure there will be some good titles eventually, but I don't see myself playing the system on a regular basis, or wanting to buy one)

I think if the NGP launch goes well, the 3DS may be in for a hiding.

#28 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -
@Faint: Way to early to say, buddy. The DS had a slow start too.
#29 Posted by somethingdumb (115 posts) -
@Faint: The 3D has never hurt my eyes, and I've used it for 4 hour stretches. Contrary to a lot of things I've heard, the battery actually LASTS that long (though not much longer).
#30 Posted by Michaelblack18 (223 posts) -

i really want this to come out in full form so badly wether playing as megaman or the new guy i still think megaman should definantly be playable on this

#31 Posted by 49th (2816 posts) -

Meh, I just want to play the Game Gear games.

#32 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -
@Olivaw said:

GOD DAMN IT CAPCOMI WILL SHIV YOU IF YOU DON'T RELEASE MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3YOU SICK AND TWISTED FUCKS

WHAT HE SAID!!!

...BUT WITHOUT THE SHIV PART!!!

#33 Posted by paulunga (2104 posts) -
@RoujinX said:
@Olivaw said:

GOD DAMN IT CAPCOMI WILL SHIV YOU IF YOU DON'T RELEASE MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3YOU SICK AND TWISTED FUCKS

WHAT HE SAID!!!

...BUT WITHOUT THE SHIV PART!!!

JESUS FUCK YES, YOU CRAP OUT SEQUELS BY THE BOATLOAD TO EVERY OTHER SERIES YOU'VE GOT YET WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS ONE FOR 11 YEARS NOW! MAKE IT HAPPEN!
#34 Posted by CitizenJP (1037 posts) -

Laaaaaaame. Mega Lame. :'(

#35 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

But... but I... :(

#36 Edited by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

It's not that serious of a hit, Patrick Klepek. I mean, yeah it sucks. But it's good for DSiware games that are worth playing that many gamers missed out on. Now, go spend some eShop monies on stuff like Mighty Milky Way, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Rabi Laby or Cave Story DSi. Lord knows they could probably use a few more purchases, being in the unfortunate position of being downloadable Nintendo games and all.

Without the Ninten-Download-X-Press podcast around anymore, how are gamers supposed to know what's out there!? It's not like Nintendo does a good job (or...y'know...a job) of promoting the good stuff on the service. Cream is supposed to rise to the top, to become the cream of the crop. But all Nintendo does is hose their cream all over third party games. And bury them under...*sigh* My Notebook titles.

So 3DS owners, do the right thing and go hunt down some quality DSi games while you wait for Mega Man Legends 3: Case Zero (or..whatever, same idea)

#37 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -
@kamiboy said:
It is pretty clear that with Inafune's departure the top brass are keen on cancelling this pet project of his. This whole paid demo thing reeks of the development staff desperately grasping at straws to keep the project alive. In that sense having been a launch title for the 3DS's digital distribution channel would have helped a lot. Being able to point to a healthy number of sales for a development slice would no doubt do much to convince the viability of the project, otherwise I think this thing is currently in a most precarious situation.
@walterbennet said:
Hey, give them a break. They need more time to polish the unpolished prototype for a public beta test.
Really? C'mon Geniuses. You guys are sounding like fools. Does "Dead Rising: Case Zero" ring a bell? If that made money, than you can bet they'll be doing way more of that in the future. MML3 Prototype edition is the first of many of these sorts of downloadable prologue things. It doesn't reek of development issues, or secret beta testing, you cynical, ignorant fools.

It is a money grab though, but whaddya expect - Capcom is running a business. And they can't make more games without money.
#38 Posted by byterunner (314 posts) -

I don't understand, did the Legend Games just not sell well in the past?

It seems Capcom just doesn't want to make this game unless they make a lot of money off of it

#39 Posted by kouotsu (14 posts) -
@warmonked: that's why it's 2 bux
#40 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Does Capcom have anything else planned for eShop launch? Is anything else planned for launch from anyone? Excitebike and...?

Damn.

#41 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@Heltom92 said:
Well now the e shop launch kind of sucks, what else is there to get now?
There are still some decent titles in the DSiWare library, if you haven't already played them.
#42 Posted by warmonked (370 posts) -
@kouotsu said:
@warmonked: that's why it's 2 bux
charging two bucks for crap doesn't suddenly make it a good deal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.