Nothing about Gamestop surprises me, but still...

#1 Posted by ragnarok7038 (50 posts) -

...goddammit Gamestop.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/nintendo-3ds/dlc?nav=131a2-ffff0fc0&cid=eml_10000490

I can literally buy and download 3DS games anywhere that has wifi, and you want me to come do it at your store? It is shit like this that makes it so much harder for some consumers to see the appeal of an all-digital future for gaming platforms.

#2 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

I never liked the idea of an all-digital future to begin with.

#3 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
Presumably you could buy it from GameStoo without a credit card? That has some appeal.
#4 Posted by Cran_Star (6 posts) -

cant u just buy those 2 games on the eshop lol?

#5 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4824 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

#6 Posted by ZOnikJJ (258 posts) -

GameStop sells a lot of DLC through their website/store (in addition to PSN money and XBL points) so consumers may use their trade-in credit and gift cards. It's also appealing to customers who don't want to store their credit card information with Xbox Live, PSN, or in this case: e-shop. In addition, you can easily gift digital content to friends in this way.

It's just another avenue for customers to purchase their content.

#7 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

It's for kids that don't have credit cards...what's the problem?

#8 Posted by SamFo (1530 posts) -

Is this really that reprehensible?

Gamestop could say 50% off all games! And the internet would get pissed off.

Why not just shop somewhere else?

#9 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5281 posts) -

Fuck gamestop for allowing me to pay for a game in cash rather than a credit card.

#10 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Hailinel said:

#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

This OP seems familer. Did he post another gamestop hate thread maybe a month back and then it got locked? 

#12 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Really? Why not?

#13 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@Dtat said:

@Hailinel said:

Really? Why not?

I prefer to keep physical copies of games whenever possible. I can't be assured that digital games will be there five or ten years down the line for a variety of reasons. It's the same for movies and TV shows I buy on DVD or Blu-ray.

#14 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Dtat said:

@Hailinel said:

Really? Why not?

I prefer to keep physical copies of games whenever possible. I can't be assured that digital games will be there five or ten years down the line for a variety of reasons. It's the same for movies and TV shows I buy on DVD or Blu-ray.

That's a good point. But I also have a bunch of old VHS tapes that are now completely useless. So I guess in some cases you could argue that the physical copies of media won't always be there either.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@Dtat said:

@Hailinel said:

@Dtat said:

@Hailinel said:

Really? Why not?

That's a good point. But I also have a bunch of old VHS tapes that are now completely useless. So I guess in some cases you could argue that the physical copies of media won't always be there either.

Hardware has its limitations, but I'd much rather trust hardware and physical media than the nebulous state of an all-digital world.

#16 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Dtat said:

@Hailinel said:

@Dtat said:

@Hailinel said:

Really? Why not?

Hardware has its limitations, but I'd much rather trust hardware and physical media than the nebulous state of an all-digital world.

I can definitely appreciate that. We might not have a choice sooner or later though...

#17 Posted by falcos_abortive_rainbow (21 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Yeah, well...I don't like people that hate the environment.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@falcos_abortive_rainbow said:

@Hailinel said:

Preferring physical media does not equate to hating the environment.

#19 Posted by ragnarok7038 (50 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man:

Not me.

I suppose you guys make some good points. I wasn't really thinking about the ease of access for people without credit cards. While I think that some of the stuff Gamestop does is shitty, I am a broke college student and have traded in on occasion, so I do recognize the have their place. What seems slightly facetious to me regarding this is the mailer that got sent to my email. which specifically says the games are, "at Gamestop, only available through digital download." Yes, that's all true, but you don't have to go to Gamestop to do so. I don't know. I suppose I'm over-reacting.

#20 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@falcos_abortive_rainbow said:

@Hailinel said:

Well, keeping those servers running forever (or until the copyright expires, which might as well be forever) can't be good for the environment either.
#21 Posted by 71Ranchero (2775 posts) -

I hate having options!

#22 Edited by Hector (3365 posts) -

It's just another alternative way to buy DLC...I see nothing wrong with it.

#23 Posted by UnrealDP (1223 posts) -

All digital future, baby. Gamestop will catch up sooner or later, so it's not that big a deal, but DLC bought at a physical location is pretty crazy, though. They're just being relics is all; in fact they'll be put out of business if they try to keep it up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.