Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS - a few days in...

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By mubblegum

So far absolutely loving it. A few more things I've noticed since - the battery is absolutely terrible. It flashes a red light on the right when it's about to go, but literally, about to go... you don't get a huge amount of time to piss around in your game and such - just save, get out of dodge and charge up. Obviously you can continue to play whilst charging without problem. I managed pretty much a level of Star Wars, and a few matches of SF4 online before it went, that's from full charge. But I have max brightness and wifi enabled at the moment. 

Another observation - today discovered in Nintendogs that you can use the AR cards during the obedience trials to show your dogs tricks, very nice touch and awesome integration & use of the augmented reality. 

Second observation - the surround sound has impressed me quite a bit. For a handheld, it's really nice and satisfying. Especially in games such as Star Wars where there are many people, events, sound effects, etc - it does convincingly feel at times like it's coming from various directions or stand-points, it mingles well with the 3D depth into adding a further realistic element which is far more immersive. So thumbs up for that! 

Thirdly - Super Street Fighter IV online has lots of matches constantly, very impressed. It just keeps giving. I suck, but I love it too much to care - so much fun. Sakura has become my favorite and I'm gradually learning how to kick slightly more butt. 

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mubblegum

So far absolutely loving it. A few more things I've noticed since - the battery is absolutely terrible. It flashes a red light on the right when it's about to go, but literally, about to go... you don't get a huge amount of time to piss around in your game and such - just save, get out of dodge and charge up. Obviously you can continue to play whilst charging without problem. I managed pretty much a level of Star Wars, and a few matches of SF4 online before it went, that's from full charge. But I have max brightness and wifi enabled at the moment. 

Another observation - today discovered in Nintendogs that you can use the AR cards during the obedience trials to show your dogs tricks, very nice touch and awesome integration & use of the augmented reality. 

Second observation - the surround sound has impressed me quite a bit. For a handheld, it's really nice and satisfying. Especially in games such as Star Wars where there are many people, events, sound effects, etc - it does convincingly feel at times like it's coming from various directions or stand-points, it mingles well with the 3D depth into adding a further realistic element which is far more immersive. So thumbs up for that! 

Thirdly - Super Street Fighter IV online has lots of matches constantly, very impressed. It just keeps giving. I suck, but I love it too much to care - so much fun. Sakura has become my favorite and I'm gradually learning how to kick slightly more butt. 

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Contro

I'm loving it too, Super Street 3D is hot online, I haven't experienced any lag and match up's are pretty quick. As far as the battery life, it is a bit crummy, but I am making good use of my charge cradle, and I certainly plan on getting one of those Nyko Power Pak devices.

Yea, I like the sound a lot also, developers like Capcom are using Optophonics, I plugged RE;M into my headphones at a recent event and was blown away by what appeared to be 3D surround sound, I could hear Ganados encroaching from behind - freaky. I hope they use Optophonics in Revelations. 

Try switching your H buttons to the face buttons, and practise with a configuration that suits you. Use the training mode to death.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sayishere

Yea battery life is a concern, although i do play with wifi on and full screen brightness at all times, gonna test wifi of with lower brightness to see how much extra i get, time wise.

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Giacomito
    @Contro: I experience lag on almost ALL my matches =(. 
    But I think it's due to the connection here, not necessarily the game.. 
    will have to try it out back home once I return I guess.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Hizang

I just play it off the mains, same as my laptop
    mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mubblegum
    @samusaran253: 2 days ago here in the UK & Europe and today in the US.
    ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By ashogo

Have you tried any regular ds games on it yet? Brad said something about them looking quite bad on the 3ds screen, which is disappointing if true.
    That battery life also sounds kind of crippling for a system that's supposed to be portable.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Contro
    @Giacomito:  

I think It must be. Thankfully I get no lag at all on my BT Infinity connection, it's like playing local Vs it's so good!.  

We both live in London, I saw you at the launch event the other night, in fact we were both outside when taking pics with Ono-san.

Contro FC Code: 2578 3122 0744 

Added yours already, 

Ciao a presto! 
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By GunstarRed

Yeah the sound is great although the volume being a bit higher would be nice. I also can't stop messing with that silly sound device thing with the budgies, I'm sure the novelty will wear off  but it still makes me smile everytime messing about with those sound effects.  

I haven't had many problems with the battery, it was on for over 6 hours for just the streetpass, I'm sure it will be much more noticeable when I start playing a full game though.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Hizang

I played some DS games on it, and I couldn't even notice any diffrences, mabey a the load times were a bit longer but I don't care, traded in my DS Lite yesterday and got myself £40
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By GunstarRed
    @ashogo:
    I played Sonic Colours in DS mode it was far too small to play but in 3DS mode it looked really bad, The colours all seemed a little washed out.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Contro
    @marioncobretti said:
    " Yeah the sound is great although the volume being a bit higher would be nice. I also can't stop messing with that silly sound device thing with the budgies, I'm sure the novelty will wear off  but it still makes me smile everytime messing about with those sound effects.   I haven't had many problems with the battery, it was on for over 6 hours for just the streetpass, I'm sure it will be much more noticeable when I start playing a full game though.    "

it is a touch too low. I think if you switch to "Stereo " in settings it sounds slightly higher. 

I have two minor issues: 

• When playing SF I often find myself dragging the volume down unintentionally when using the D-Pad to play. This could easily happen in other games that use it also.   
    • I really don't like the placement of the stylus holder, it's awkward having to reach over the lid to pull it out during play.
    Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Giacomito
    @Contro: oh shit really? that's crazy haha, wasn't aware there were other bombers there! 
    Cool, I'll add you. 

Also, those issues are the exact same thing that has been bugging me lately, unintentionally turning down the volume while doing crazy stuff in SSFIV, and the stylus is suuuuper awkward to take out, I just cant understand what they were thinking when putting it back there.
    mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mubblegum
    @Contro: @Giacomito: Totally agree. The stylus the worst position possible. Even on the left may have been better. I assume there was reason for that positioning but it is entirely stupid. Access is completely borked and it's pretty much a choice of keeping it out or definitely in without any use. No quick pulls here or there.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Contro
    @Giacomito said:
    " @Contro: oh shit really? that's crazy haha, wasn't aware there were other bombers there! Cool, I'll add you.  Also, those issues are the exact same thing that has been bugging me lately, unintentionally turning down the volume while doing crazy stuff in SSFIV, and the stylus is suuuuper awkward to take out, I just cant understand what they were thinking when putting it back there. "

I'm assuming they had no choice but to put it there, for internal composition reasons (space). 

I've said it a few times and I'll say it happily again, this machine has been intentionally retro-designed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.