Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS design flaw: Top screen gets scratched up by bottom screen.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

I heard about this over at NeoGAF. It sounds like a pretty awful design flaw from a company who has been making clam shell handhelds for a long time.

No Caption Provided

http://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-3ds-design-flaw-leaving-screen-scratches-19146941/

Nintendo 3DS owners are complaining of a design flaw that can leave the upper, glasses-free 3D display scratched simply by carrying the console around. According to multiple posts on Nintendo’s support forums, the clamshell design can leave the raised edges of the touchscreen rubbing against the top display; while initially the marks it leaves will rub off, some owners have found permanent scratches are been left.

The display isn’t the only aspect of the console seemingly prone to damage. Eagle-eyed owners have also spotted D-pad cracks appearing, potentially where the top section has been squeezed down onto the controls.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Heltom92

This is a bit old now but yea that is pretty poor. Especially seeing as it's Nintendo making the bloody thing. You would of though things like this would of been considered during development.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Haziqonfire

I see this more as a manufacturing flaw than a design flaw. I've had a 3DS a few days after launch and mine has no scratches. The only time I've had marks on the top screen is when the circlepad leaves a circle on the top screen. 

Even so, it comes off when you wipe it off with a cloth. I always use a microfibre cloth to clean my 3DS' screens, so I'm fine. 

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

3DS since launch. 0 scratches.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Contro
    nindoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nindoten

maybe if someone close his 3DS in hard way the top screen will get scratch.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

Sensationalism. My launch 3ds screen is in perfect condition.

Xbudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Xbudz

Mine is starting to get the same scratch already along the right side.. it's the bottom screen scratching the top screen and this sucks.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

I purchased a screen protector for both my screens and keep the foam thingy that was packaged with the 3DS in it when it is closed, so hopefully this does not occur.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EVO

This is the price you pay for being an early adopter. You should always wait for the inevitable redesign, that is unless you're desperate to play a certain game or just have the money to burn.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
    @EVO said:
    This is the price you pay for being an early adopter. You should always wait for the inevitable redesign, that is unless you're desperate to play a certain game or just have the money to burn.
    I don't know, I mean it was two years between the Nintendo DS and the Nintendo DSLite. Not to mention this "flaw" wouldn't require a redesign, just Nintendo stick two small pads at the top of the 3DS to create more of a gap between the two screens when closed. More over I'm really not sure how the 3DS could be redesigned to be smaller or better in anyway outside of a better battery, and maybe a high quality camera once the cost of production goes down, but again that wouldn't require a full on redesign.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EVO
    @DarkGamerOO7: You forgot the D-pad.
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Beaudacious

Lol, people bought a 3ds?

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
    @EVO said:
    @DarkGamerOO7: You forgot the D-pad.
    That I haven't run into yet, and hopefully I won't.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.