3DS Is A Failure. Passes PS3 Lifetime Sales In Japan.

• 74 results
#1 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-3ds-has-surpassed-ps3-lifetime-sales-in-japan.

Below is the full chart on Japan's hardware sales last week. Lifetime sales are in parenthesis.

• Nintendo Wii U - 308,142 (308,142)
  • Nintendo 3DS - 211,499 (8,799,378)
  • PlayStation 3 - 36,994 (8,716,260)
  • PSP - 19,637 (19,488,236)
  • PlayStation Vita - 11,039 (1,074,621)
  • Nintendo Wii - 6,714 (12,608,700)
  • Xbox 360 - 1,216 (1,608,399)
  • PlayStation 2 - 904 (21,829,112)
  • Nintendo DS - 424 (32,875,469)

3DS runs the show over there. Animal Crossing, a newer release, has already blown past 1.4 million units sold. It's now in a race with Mario Kart 7, Monster Hunter 3, Super Mario Land 3D, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 to hit two million.

Well, Nintendo had a good run. Hate to see them go iOS only just to keep Miyamoto from being homeless.

#2 Edited by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -

Fuck Nintendo and their shitty 3DS.

For real though, Congrats to them. I enjoy my 3DS a ton.

*insert dumb joke about Vita here*

#3 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

What surprises me us how the PS2 is still selling.

#4 Edited by Kidavenger (3516 posts) -

It just looks like they prefer handhelds over there, pretty much every handheld on that list sold more than even the most popular home console.

I can't help but wonder if Vita sales are so low just due to the fact that it hasn't been cracked yet.

#5 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4611 posts) -

so is it me or is the Nintendo 3DS sitting at 8.8?

#6 Posted by MildMolasses (3214 posts) -

I'm always amazed at the way portable systems move in Japan. It's like an entirely different mindset over there.

It makes me wonder if MS is even going to make a play to get a bigger share of the market there, but then I see the numbers and think it probably isn't even worthwhile. The obvious move would be to buy a version of Monster Hunter for their next system, but does anyone even want to play that on a console?

#7 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

I can't help but wonder if Vita sales are so low just due to the fact that it hasn't been cracked yet.

No, it's that nobody wants it.

#8 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Just waiting for all of the interesting stuff to get localized now.

In about a year the 3DS is probably going to have a torrent of games to play.

#9 Posted by jaycrockett (436 posts) -

I find it really interesting how the Japan market switched so quickly to the new hardware. DS and Wii sales are almost non-existent.

#10 Posted by mikey87144 (1676 posts) -

Nintendo knew that it would do well in Japan. It's the rest of the world that's the issue. That being said kudos to Nintendo.

#11 Posted by Jayzilla (2556 posts) -

so japan is dumb is what you are saying?

#12 Posted by redelectric (155 posts) -

I, for one, am completly unsurprised at the popularity of the 3DS; it's the new Monster Hunter machine.

Once the Monster Hunters come out over here...Well i prolly will forget that i even HAVE consoles!!

And a life outside of the house.

#13 Posted by abara (225 posts) -

@algertman said:

@Kidavenger said:

Bingo. Until there is a Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest game on Vita, it is doomed to fail.

#14 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

but I thought handheld gaming was dead?

#15 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -

@abara said:

@algertman said:

@Kidavenger said:

Bingo. Until there is a Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest game on Vita, it is doomed to fail.

And both of those franchises are on Nintendo platforms now.

#16 Edited by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

@Jayzilla said:

No, just you. :P

Am I the only one surprised (but not really) that the Vita hasn't managed to outsell the 360 yet? It seems like you have to actively try to do that.

#17 Posted by Rayeth (1023 posts) -

This just means that all the awesome Japanese 3DS games will continue to never be ported and remain in awful limbo. Like Brevely Default Flying Fairy and Monster Hunter 4.

#18 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@algertman said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-3ds-has-surpassed-ps3-lifetime-sales-in-japan.

Below is the full chart on Japan's hardware sales last week. Lifetime sales are in parenthesis.

• Nintendo Wii U - 308,142 (308,142)
  • Nintendo 3DS - 211,499 (8,799,378)
  • PlayStation 3 - 36,994 (8,716,260)
  • PSP - 19,637 (19,488,236)
  • PlayStation Vita - 11,039 (1,074,621)
  • Nintendo Wii - 6,714 (12,608,700)
  • Xbox 360 - 1,216 (1,608,399)
  • PlayStation 2 - 904 (21,829,112)
  • Nintendo DS - 424 (32,875,469)

3DS runs the show over there. Animal Crossing, a newer release, has already blown past 1.4 million units sold. It's now in a race with Mario Kart 7, Monster Hunter 3, Super Mario Land 3D, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 to hit two million.

Well, Nintendo had a good run. Hate to see them go iOS only just to keep Miyamoto from being homeless.

iPhone is still outselling 3DS in Japan. Apple sold over 7 million iPhones in Japan in 2011 alone....

#19 Edited by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

@Rayeth said:

This just means that all the awesome Japanese 3DS games will continue to never be ported and remain in awful limbo. Like Brevely Default Flying Fairy and Monster Hunter 4.

I think both of those will be coming over without a doubt. Or at least more than likely.

Or did you mean ported to another system? Then yeah.

#20 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

There's another Bob Ross in this thread that doesn't belong...

#21 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

How the H'el did that happen?

#22 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@Rayeth said:

Bravely Default hasn't been out that long in Japan, it will most likely be brought over. They even recently trademarked a suspiciously close sounding English name: "All the Bravest".

Monster Hunter 4 will be localised if 3 does well, which is unlikely. Those games are just far too badly designed for western gamers to put up with.

#23 Posted by Zacagawea (1585 posts) -

Confirmed: Japan be crazy

#24 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1188 posts) -

I don't know who is claiming that there is a lack of gamed on the 3DS or that it is a failure. There have already been some fantastic games out for the system.

Also if anyone IS tired of the basics like Mario and Zelda then they should just wait. The DS had some amazing new series come out on it, some of the best games of the generation.

#25 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

I wonder if Capcom will release a Monster Hunter for Vita. They sold a ton on PSP and a release on Vita would surely move lots of copies and systems. Did Nintendo lockdown the franchise or a particular entry?

#26 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

Well that went fast. Japan sure loves their handheld stuff.

#27 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

@msavo said:

I wonder if Capcom will release a Monster Hunter for Vita. They sold a ton on PSP and a release on Vita would surely move lots of copies and systems. Did Nintendo lockdown the franchise or a particular entry?

Why take the chance when you have automatic success on 3DS? I'm sure Nintendo wrote them a fat check while Sony was throwing party when someone came up with the idea of Playstation All-Stars.

#28 Posted by JoeyRavn (4950 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

iPhone is still outselling 3DS in Japan. Apple sold over 7 million iPhones in Japan in 2011 alone....

So? These numbers are for consoles, not smartphones... which, by the way, do a shitload more than a 3DS, making the comparison pretty moot.

#29 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -
@JoeyRavn

@jdh5153 said:

So? These numbers are for consoles, not smartphones... which, by the way, do a shitload more than a 3DS, making the comparison pretty moot.

Yeah one has the ability to make calls and the other has Pushmo. Comparing them is dumb. 3DS is a great system and I'm glad it's succeeding.
#30 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

@algertman said:

@msavo said:

Why take the chance when you have automatic success on 3DS? I'm sure Nintendo wrote them a fat check while Sony was throwing party when someone came up with the idea of Playstation All-Stars.

Yup that's exactly what happened. Idiot.

#31 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@jdh5153 said:

iPhone gaming > 3DS gaming. Handhelds are dead.

#32 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@msavo said:

@algertman said:

@msavo said:

I'm not the one who owns a Vita.

#33 Edited by AltonBrown (949 posts) -

@algertman: Don't be an ass.

Glad for Nintendo, though. The 3DS is a really cool little system.

#34 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

@algertman said:

@msavo said:

@algertman said:

@msavo said:

I'm not the one who owns a Vita.

I think this forum is more in line with the gaming discussions you want. http://www.gamespot.com/forums/board/314159282/system-wars

#35 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

@Hizang said:

What surprises me us how the PS2 is still selling.

Well yea case Sony are a bunch of dick wads and won't let the PS3 be backwards compatible.

#36 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@jdh5153 said:

Women's panties > iPhone sales > 3DS gaming.

#37 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@AltonBrown said:

@algertman: Don't be an ass.

Glad for Nintendo, though. The 3DS is a really cool little system.

I'm sorry Alton.

#38 Posted by BeachThunder (11728 posts) -

Now the 3DS just needs more games (like Nintendo's huge back-catalogue for the eShop).

#39 Posted by JoeyRavn (4950 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

If handhelds are dead, then the PS3 is dead. And, again, these numbers are for consoles, not smartphones, so your point is as moot as before.

#40 Posted by AltonBrown (949 posts) -

@algertman: No worries :)

#41 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

I owned a 3DS once. All it would do is gather dust.

#42 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

I mean isn't it common knowledge by now that handhelds do usually exceptionally well over in Japan?

#43 Posted by MikkaQ (10270 posts) -

Yeah great, let me know when the games worth playing come to North America.

#44 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@jdh5153 said:

iPhone games and 3DS games are two completely different kinds of games. And the iPhone can't replicate the same kinds of games that appear on gaming handhelds. I don't care how many HD FPS appear on the thing, touch screen joy sticks suck ass.

#45 Posted by Ramone (2960 posts) -

I guess I was wrong about the 3DS but I don't think it's really fair to compare it to the PS3.

#46 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Landon said:

@jdh5153 said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@jdh5153 said:

iPhone games and 3DS games are two completely different kinds of games. And the iPhone can't replicate the same kinds of games that appear on gaming handhelds. I don't care how many HD FPS appear on the thing, touch screen joy sticks suck ass.

This, even though the iPhone/windows phone/androids are more convenient, it doesn't take long to realize the steep compromises mobile gaming has on a buttonless device.

#47 Posted by KaneRobot (1440 posts) -

@Jayzilla said:

#48 Posted by Azurath (294 posts) -

Congrats, as a Vita owner, I am just happy we are on our way to overtaking the 360.

#49 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie: I can remember seeing a Bob Ross avatar on these forums years ago. Just curious did you ever change your username?

#50 Posted by EVO (3871 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@jdh5153 said:

Comparing iPhone sales to handhelds is no different than comparing handhelds to consoles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.