Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS Questions

DarkTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarkTemplar

Will the Nintendo 3DS be able to play original DS and DSi games? And if those DS original games have online play (like Metroid Prime Hunters), can you play them online using a 3DS?

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I'm pretty sure you can play older games. Don't know about the online thing, though.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

yep you can play original ds games and there's some transfer process coming after release to transfer dsi ware games i think. i am not sure about the online thing though 

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By ColinWright

I'd imagine online will still work since all the online stuff is in the cart itself. Guess it's a wait and see.

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By liako21

Whats funny is i was just thinking about buying a DSi lol. Now im wondering are most new releases going to be for the 3ds? and how long will it be before they phase out the DSi completely. I really dont want to dish out $250 for a 3DS...damn....

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By BrittonPeele

The tricky thing about backward compatibility with online features is that they're going to require the same old, outdated wireless encryption that the original DS used. If you're using a newer router with newer encryption, you won't be able to connection to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. This is even the case on the DSi - the system itself supports newer encryption, but the games themselves do not, as that information is in the game card itself.

So if I had to guess, the answer to "Will I be able to play Metroid Prime Hunters online still?" will be, "Maybe, if you still use an older router."

Games themselves will definitely be backwards compatible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.