3DS should I buy?

#1 Posted by scottp (249 posts) -

Should I buy a 3DS after hearing all of this stuff about the black screen of death. Thoughts?

Thanks

#2 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

The problem wasn't that prevalent and it didn't completely destroy your system or anything crazy. It's a Nintendo system, after all. Besides, the problem has already been fixed via the most recent update. If you want one, go for it.

#3 Posted by MEATBALL (3516 posts) -

If that's all that's preventing you from purchasing one right now I'd say to go for it, this is no Red Ring of Death epidemic as far as I can tell. My 3DS is fine, for what it's worth.

#4 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -

I haven't been affected and I still don't have the new firmware. Besides, you can immediately restart the system if you see the error so it's not like the Black Screen 'o' Death will make your console unplayable.

#5 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

There's no games for it, I'd wait until there were some games for it. 
I went ahead and bought one anyways, and then proceeded to buy a game I've already bought 3 other times.

#6 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

I bought one, with SSF4 and Bust A Move to go with it. Let me tell you, I do not regret my purchase at all. I've had more fun with the 3DS at launch than any other console at launch. Everything just feels so well crafted and well thought out... and the 3D, while not as strong as what you'd see in most movie theaters, is surpisingly good. And, after using the 3DS for a couple days now, the 3D is what impresses me the least about the system.
#7 Edited by DonPixel (2632 posts) -

I don't like it, it's the usual Nintendo's obsolete tech/gimmick overpriced product.. more marketing than anything 

At this point Im just going with the iPad ther's some good games plus all the extra it brings (web, fb, work stuff, music etc.).. far more value for my money, Im not sure if im still looking for the NGP .. that coming from a sony fan. 

#8 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

Can you put an iPad in your pocket? I don't think so.
#9 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

I got the black screen once already. Restarted the system and it has not happened again. There really aren't that many appealing games out there now, but the system itself is a really neat piece of hardware. If you have the cash to spend and are really interested in the tech, then I say go for it and pick one up. Also pick up Street Fighter like everyone else. That's the "safe" game.

#10 Posted by awesomeusername (4221 posts) -

I'd prefer to get a regular ds lite or dsi. I can't stand 3D, it hurts my eyes. 

#11 Edited by DonPixel (2632 posts) -
@TheJollyRajah said:

" Can you put an iPad in your pocket? I don't think so. "

I have and iphone that i can put in my pocket.. considering they share most of the apps and my account and purachased products among the two is shared is quite convinient 

Look I don't want to party pooper anyone.. if someone likes the 3ds  because of they happy childhood with mario and luigi it's fine by me, good nintendo still sells (somehow).. but the bussiness world is a cruel cruel world and while nintendo was smart/lucky enough to not follow the HD bandwagon 5 years ago .. his usual unwillingness to change will start hurting them more and more.. bussines world change and fast, Facebook, itunes store, android marketplace, xboxlive even the PSN everything is going online and nintendo it's clueless about online, therefore right now i think ther's strong reasons to argue there are products that offer way more value. 
#12 Posted by PerryVandell (2109 posts) -

I wouldn't worry so much about the black screen issue. What's keeping me from purchasing a 3DS is it's lack of software support upon release. I'll probably just wait for the 3DS Lite when it releases in the next year or so. 

#13 Posted by scottp (249 posts) -

thanks guys, I think i might pick one up today.  Also when playing original ds games can you have it stretch instead of having it to its native resolution?

#14 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -
@Gr33nt00tz said:
" thanks guys, I think i might pick one up today.  Also when playing original ds games can you have it stretch instead of having it to its native resolution? "

No stretch, but you can reduce the size by holding down select and start at boot. 

Normal:
DS Mode: 1;1 pixel replication, but at the cost of size:
#15 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

I am waiting for a white one.

#16 Posted by Sunjammer (926 posts) -

I got two, one for my girl. It's a riot of a system, and anyone discarding it as "gimmicky" have cold rotten hearts. It's a gorgeous piece of kit.
That said, there aren't many games worth getting at all, and the system is in its infancy still. I'd wait until may or whenever nintendo decide to bring out the real system updates. As it is the thing very much feels beta. 

Worth it for Face Raiders, StreetPass weirdness and Street Fighter, IMHO. Face Raiders.... FACE... RAIDERS... 

#17 Edited by Contro (2040 posts) -
@Sunjammer said:
" I got two, one for my girl. It's a riot of a system, and anyone discarding it as "gimmicky" have cold rotten hearts. It's a gorgeous piece of kit.That said, there aren't many games worth getting at all, and the system is in its infancy still. I'd wait until may or whenever nintendo decide to bring out the real system updates. As it is the thing very much feels beta.  Worth it for Face Raiders, StreetPass weirdness and Street Fighter, IMHO. Face Raiders.... FACE... RAIDERS...  "

Agreed It is a fun system, and it's a shame they couldn't have launched with all the services they have planned. And slightly worrying that they don't see messaging as a core service.

I got six Street Passes today :P
#18 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

I only got one black screen error, while playing Ghost Recon. Annoying, but not really a big deal.

#19 Posted by RustySpoon (140 posts) -

The short battery is the only thing that's bumming me out. Game selection will get better, but man... that battery seems pretty terrible. How long does the system last with 3D turned off?

#20 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -
@RustySpoon said:
" The short battery is the only thing that's bumming me out. Game selection will get better, but man... that battery seems pretty terrible. How long does the system last with 3D turned off? "
Considerably better, it's the 3D that is the biggest power draw on the system, In sleep mode it uses minute amounts of energy to send WiFi bursts whenever it comes across another 3DS or Wifi hotspot. 

Nintendo gave us that Charge-cradle for a good reason, - can you imagine the outcry if they hadn't. 
#21 Posted by re4ctor (24 posts) -

The system itself is great, easily the best DS. Sadly, there isn't enough games to take advantage of the 3D, but at least there's regular DS games to keep you going.

#22 Posted by scottp (249 posts) -
@Contro: Thanks a lot Contro, I just want to be able to play pokemon soul silver on semi full screen and not native.
#23 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

Go ahead, but don't buy the queer blue one.

#24 Posted by SuperSambo (2887 posts) -

When it gets some games, sure.

#25 Posted by RustySpoon (140 posts) -
@Contro said:
Considerably better, it's the 3D that is the biggest power draw on the system, In sleep mode it uses minute amounts of energy to send WiFi bursts whenever it comes across another 3DS or Wifi hotspot.  Nintendo gave us that Charge-cradle for a good reason, - can you imagine the outcry if they hadn't.  "
I got email notification of your reply while I was returning something to Best Buy. I blame my impulse shopping on you.
#26 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -
@Everyones_A_Critic: 

Looks way better in person. Trust me. It's quite striking and unique.
#27 Posted by Aaron_G (1617 posts) -

As everyone says, there isn't really any must have games out for the 3DS at the moment. However, if you can't wait and have to get your hands on the best new stuff right away for it. A price drop or new model won't come for like 18 months and that is a long time to wait. 

#28 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

No, probably not. High price, no games, bad battery life. 3 killers for me.

#29 Posted by Hector (3381 posts) -

Just bought one yesterday and I completely happy with it. Been playing Pokemon White on it. Tried out the Face Raiders. AR games and SSFIV3D and they all are awesome.

#30 Posted by scottp (249 posts) -

I'm going to wait for my tax return and then I'll get it lol.

#31 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

Wait for 2.0

#32 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -
  1. Is there at least 2-3 games out for it that I'm willing to kill for to play?
  2. Are there going to be 2-3 games I'm willing to kill for that are going to come out before they release 3DS 2.0?

If you answered yes to ether of those then yes. If not, just wait for 3DS 2.0.
#33 Posted by Jaize (46 posts) -
@awesomeusername said:
" I'd prefer to get a regular ds lite or dsi. I can't stand 3D, it hurts my eyes.  "
You know a shockingly large amount of people have said this. Even in small windows of play time they end up with headaches and eye strain. Granted Nintendo put a warning on it but its mostly aimed at kids. I'd say to anyone who reads this and is wondering the same thing; should I buy a 3DS, go out and check if it gives them a headache first and screw the techy issues. 

Personally I can't see 3d properly, my optician says something to do with astigmatism *blah blah*, but seriously, why spend so much money on something that literally causes you pain.  

Speaking of which I saw a really nice pair of 6inch heeled leather thigh-high boots that cost about the same amount. Hmmmmm. 
#34 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

Honestly, I've played my 3DS for a long while now, and usually play for hours in a row without discomfort. I never take breaks and never needed to.
#35 Posted by Kjellm87 (1722 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Wait for 2.0 "
Sure seen this comment alot lately. 
 But I've choosen to believe Nintendo on not making a updated verision for quite awhile (unless something unexpected pops up)
seeing as the 3DS has been pretty solid piece of hardware this far.
#36 Posted by Silock (237 posts) -
Honestly? Its a mistake for ANYONE to purchase this device now, you know there will be 3-4 revisions of it come down the road, at least wait for better battery life, this is a portable device afterall : ) 
#37 Posted by agentboolen (1846 posts) -
@TheJollyRajah:  And who would want to?!  That thing still needs buttons to make playing games any fun!
#38 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

if you have to make a thread saying 'should i buy it' means deep down, you dont want one, you are finding reasons to buy one 

just save money and wait until you really want one 

the black screen problem affects small amounts of 3ds and not as hazardous as the RROD or YLOD

#39 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Not to sound like some fanboy, but there really aren't any games for it. Well, there's SSFIV but everyone already owns that on the 360/PS3. 

I'm going to wait until the '3DS Lite' or whatever which has a better battery life, is cheaper and will have some quality games available for it.

#40 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -
@Everyones_A_Critic:  

Jolly Rajah is right, as a owner of two black ones, I have to admit the blue one is superior. The Aqua Blue model has a sweet two-tone effect on it's lid, and more to the point, finger smudges are far less apparent on the blue machine. 

I played one of my black 3DS on the bus into work the other day, it looked so fucked up in the morning sun, I couldn't help but feel dismayed by how bad it looked. Nintendo have done this shit intentionally...
#41 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -
@Contro said:
" @Everyones_A_Critic:  

Jolly Rajah is right, as a owner of two black ones, I have to admit the blue one is superior. The Aqua Blue model has a sweet two-tone effect on it's lid, and more to the point, finger smudges are far less apparent on the blue machine.  I played one of my black 3DS on the bus into work the other day, it looked so fucked up in the morning sun, I couldn't help but feel dismayed by how bad it looked. Nintendo have done this shit intentionally... "
I was referencing a joke made on the Bombcast last week, I've actually never even seen the blue one in person haha.
#42 Posted by awesomeusername (4221 posts) -
@Jaize: I remember going to see Toy Story 1 & 2 when it came out in 3D two years ago and keeping those glasses on were terrible. When I'd take it off for a break I would watch the movie and then it'll put on a part in 3D where it'd destroy my eyes. From that point on, I could not stand 3D and I refuse to watch anything in 3D. I don't understand why so many people would want this. I can't imagine why people would buy a whole new DS just because it has 3D. And half these people are always complaining about how Sony shouldn't put 3D in their games because it's stupid, yet they're in love with their 3DS. I don't get it. Nintendo and Apple must have some kind of brainwashing machine because they make the same things over and over and they make millions. 
#43 Posted by Jaize (46 posts) -
@awesomeusername: Same reason people wanted N-gages and I-phones when they first came out. OOOO SHINEY NEWNESS. Problem with 3D is that a lot of people can't use it because it gives them headaches or they simply can't see the depth of field changes. So unless those issues are addressed and changed I can't foresee 3D technology advancing too far due to lack of demand. How far would television have advanced if half the world were blind? My other issue is if those headaches are indicative of actual health risks. I had perfect 20-20 vision till I went to uni and read too many books in tiny text, now I need to wear glasses permanently and the feeling I get from 3D technology is the same feeling I had from reading teeny text in bad light. So if the 3DS causes the same problems down the road then Nintendo are in for some heavy lawsuits; though in this litigious culture they've probably budgeted for that.  

The other thing about the 3DS right now is that, lets face it guys, its a penis extension. Its like expensive flashy sports cars that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds and boast about being able to do 200mph when all the roads are limited at 70. I agree with all the people who've said wait for the newer versions. Till the issues are fixed and there are some decent games for it. If you're trying to look for an excuse to spend so much money on it then, really, I'd wait. 
#44 Posted by James_ex_machina (899 posts) -

I tried the 3DS tonight at my local target. Pilot Wings was the test game. I was blown away by the 3D. I can't wait to try it with other games.
If the price was half as much I might have walked out of Target with one.
#45 Posted by NegativeCero (3041 posts) -

Personally I'm waiting for the inevitable revision ala the DS Lite.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.