Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS temptation.

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By swfcfan

"Today's UK 3DS recommended retail price (RRP) stands at around £229.99. Take a third from that and you're left with £153. Giant online shop Amazon isn't far off that currently with a 3DS price of £169.00." (source http://www.eurogamer.net)

Wow If this news leads to Amazon and other online retailers dropping the 3DS's price to around £120 pounds or £160 in the UK with a game it's going to be hard for me to resist buying one.

While I already have a Vita on pre-order (as a powerful hand held with twin analog sticks really appeals to me) I'm now thinking of cancelling it so I can afford to pick up the cheaper 3DS. Then getting the Vita next winter when it may also be reduced in price and more games will be out for it.

Another reason I'm also tempted to get a 3DS is to play some old N64 games on a handheld. as I'm never going to get round to setting up my old N64 console and our Wii is in the living room so I'v never bothered to buy any old games via The Virtual Console.

Anyone else thinking about getting a 3DS like me who really wasn't going too until the news of the price drop?

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By swfcfan

"Today's UK 3DS recommended retail price (RRP) stands at around £229.99. Take a third from that and you're left with £153. Giant online shop Amazon isn't far off that currently with a 3DS price of £169.00." (source http://www.eurogamer.net)

Wow If this news leads to Amazon and other online retailers dropping the 3DS's price to around £120 pounds or £160 in the UK with a game it's going to be hard for me to resist buying one.

While I already have a Vita on pre-order (as a powerful hand held with twin analog sticks really appeals to me) I'm now thinking of cancelling it so I can afford to pick up the cheaper 3DS. Then getting the Vita next winter when it may also be reduced in price and more games will be out for it.

Another reason I'm also tempted to get a 3DS is to play some old N64 games on a handheld. as I'm never going to get round to setting up my old N64 console and our Wii is in the living room so I'v never bothered to buy any old games via The Virtual Console.

Anyone else thinking about getting a 3DS like me who really wasn't going too until the news of the price drop?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Barrock

Same here. Portable Ocarina of Time is so damn tempting.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By JJOR64

As a owner of a 3DS, the system is great.  Sure there isn't a ton of great games yet, but that's like any system, you have to wait for the good games.  If the PS Vita is still launching at $250, I have a really bad feeling it's going to tank.  The 3DS didn't do well at $250 so that is why they are dropping the price so quickly.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

GameStop just recently launched in the UK and are selling them for £150.

I have some pretty big grievances with the system, but I'd say it's worth it for this price, especially as you'll still be able to take advantage of the 20 free games offer. If you're interested in getting one, I'd do it now. We should be seeing a steady stream of games for the thing from now too.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By EuanDewar

@WinterSnowblind said:

GameStop just recently launched in the UK and are selling them for £150.

Whoa wait, when did that happen? Is it an online store exclusively or have they set up actual physical stores?

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By swfcfan

@JJOR64 said:

If the PS Vita is still launching at $250, I have a really bad feeling it's going to tank. The 3DS didn't do well at $250 so that is why they are dropping the price so quickly.

Yeah $250 or £230 (approx $375) for the basic Vita model is a lot of money for a handheld device that is not a phone. Sony may find that the market for an high powered but expensive device is small. and I doubt that Sony would be able to reduce the price of the Vita by much if uptake is slow due to the high manufacturing cost.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Heltom92

If you can get it for £150 I'd say it's worth it. The killer games are nearly non existent atm (Ocarina being the exception) but that is a pretty good price for the tech. plus there is a few good games in the e shop and there are good games coming.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@EuanDewar: I think it's just the website, but they've got some pretty good prices.. and more competition is always good.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Barrock

So I took the plunge. Best Buy will price match next week.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RaikohBlade

3DS needs more original triple A titles before it can be a worthy successor to the DS. As such, I don't consider it worth purchasing, at any price point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f69ab113d659
    deactivated-5f69ab113d659

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I grabbed a 2nd hand 3DS for 120GBP at a local Granger games store. I really do think this price was tempting enough to grab one, even with the meagre launch titles. I also picked up SF and Zelda. I've got to say these titles don't disappoint. Whilst the 3D doesn't add a great deal; if anything; to the gameplay, it really does look very good when you get comfortable with it. Although the titles on offer for download aren't tempting at all either.

The biggest issue, IMHO, with these handheld platforms is buyer fatigue, especially with Nintendo - DS, DS Lite, DSi, XL and now 3DS all produced in a relatively short space of time. I think that the Vita will have to fire the imagination to get a great deal of traction in the market. Although I have to say it looks pretty good at first blush.

Time will tell...

Johnnyredwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Johnnyredwine

Gamestop are currently listing the 3DS for £134.97. Jesus. Now I am tempted.

hughesie27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By hughesie27

Guys Tesco are selling the 3DS for £115.

Johnnyredwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Johnnyredwine

Saw Tesco's prices and finally caved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.