Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS vs 3DS XL

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MrHadouken

I want to upgrade as soon as possible, since Fire Emblem Awakening came out. But I just can't decide, the only thing really stopping me from getting a Select/Home/Start pad on the original compared to the XL's buttons. Are they really that bad? I've also heard about the 3D slide randomly switching on?!?!

My only concern with the XL is the size for traveling with it, and I've also heard the XL is made with a cheaper plastic, not sure how true that is?!?! I really like the big screen, and I do tend to play at home a lot more than out.

I went out to best buy to buy one today, and just could not decide. So any and all help is appreciated.

Avatar image for finnianwhitefir
    FinnianWhitefir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FinnianWhitefir

I bought a XL after reading all the "There's no reason to get a normal instead of a XL". I like it. The screens don't seem all that big and I think I'd hate having a smaller one, though I'm sure I wouldn't notice if I never handled a XL.

The Select/Start/Home buttons are super mushy and weird feeling, but I press one once a day at most and often not at all, so I don't see where it matters. Maybe if you played a RPG that used Start for a menu, but I don't think many do these days.

I never had problems with the 3D slider. I often turned it to 75-100% for Ghost Recon and it was nice and added a lot. I also sometimes turned it to 0 and it worked fine. I'm mostly catching up on DS games so it doesn't effect me. Sometimes my fingers inadvertently slide the sound volume on the left due to my hold on it, so maybe you're hearing about people accidentally moving the slider without realizing it.

I hate the screen hinges being wobbly, it's not a problem while I'm playing because I'm sitting/laying in place and it doesn't move, I guess it's supposed to keep the hinges from cracking like DS ones did, but it feels cheaper or lower quality.

Edit: Plus the battery life is supposed to be better, and the 3DS XL battery life is low enough that I couldn't imagine it being 30%+ worse.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I bought both systems, and I think 3DS XL is superior in every aspect except mobility. In my case, mobility is not important for me, because I don't carry my handhelds in my pocket usually.Therefore, I traded my 3DS to get a new 3DS XL.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By egg

Does japanese circle pad pro work with XL? That's the main thing that would keep me from getting an XL. If the japanese one works then I guess that's ok. (though I'd prefer being able to get one from a store instead of having to order online) It's a shame though that some US versions of games don't work with it, even though the japanese versions do.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Circle pad pro is not locked to regions. So you can import and use them on a NTSC 3ds.

Some ebay sellers always have really cheap ones with free shipping to boot.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Result: Epic Win Of XL!

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my XL and can't imagine having a "normal" sized 3DS. It would be far too small to be comfortable, and the smaller screen would be a real drawback. Yeah, the start and select buttons feel weird, but it's absolutely not a big deal. They function, they're just mushy.

The XL is certainly too big to fit in your pocket, but I throw mine in my bag (in a case) when I need to take it somewhere. Like you, I play way more at home than out and about, so it's not an issue for me anyway. As far as the plastic feeling cheap, I don't see that as a problem either. I like the plastic used on the 3DS better, but there is nothing wrong with the plastic they used for the XL. My 3D slider has never randomly switched on (or off).

Just get the XL. The pros far outweigh the cons, and it feels to me like the adult-sized version of the hardware. It's a nice fit in the hands, and has good sized screens. The standard 3DS seems tiny by comparison and I think it would be uncomfortable to use for long stretches.

k_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm growing real tired of waiting for some good colors..... -_-

Selidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own a standard 3DS, but have used a 3DS XL more than once. I do like the larger size but what really makes the XL superior in my eyes is that for whatever reason the 3D seems to work a whole lot better on it. I can't use the 3D on my standard 3DS without a lot of weird overlapping and general eye strain. However, on the XL everything seems to work rather well for me and the viewing angles for the 3D effect also seem a whole lot better.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By reisz

XL has literally no downsides in my opinion, there are a lot of complaints about the slide switches but I have never accidentally toggled either of them. No issue with travelling and the battery life is excellent. Nintendo should just straight up discontinue the regular 3DS as far as I'm concerned.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Get the XL. The only downside would be if the extra size upsets its portability for you, but honestly its not so big that you won't be able to carry it around with you.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OGred

@k_9:

No Caption Provided

I was hoping they'd make the monster hunter one into an xl but that's not going to happen now

i'm holding out for a luigi 3ds xl which is just as good

No Caption Provided

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

What is with these old thread bumpings?

XL, all the way, there's no other way. I have an XL and let my brother borrow it to play Fire Emblem. I wanted to play some Strange Journey, so I popped it into the original fat DS and couldn't believe how miniscule those screens seem. I am aware that the regular 3DS's are a bit bigger and better-lit, but they can't be that much bigger.

No, really, those XL screens are incredible, and the only thing you lose when going up to an XL is the tiny size. The resolution doesn't even seem stretched.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mrhadouken: I bought a 3DS and an XL. I wish I would've stayed with the 3DS. It's cheaper, crisper, lighter, louder, brighter, and more portable. The only reason the XL's battery lasts longer is because its brightness and loudness are lower than the 3DS. Yeah, the screens are smaller but the image is sharper. The XL's screens look good too, but they're not as sharp. (I'm obsessed with graphics.) Plus there's no Circle Pad Pro XL in North America, and the Japanese one for the 3DS LL might not work with it. I've never had problems with the 3D slider bumping on accidentally.

I will admit, however, that the 3D effect is easier to maintain with the XL. But I'd still go with a 3DS.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I owned a 3DS before and I ended up selling it because it was too small so the analog stick caused major thumb cramps for me. It was really uncomfortable and I couldn't play it for long periods of time before feeling that it wasn't worth the pain. Now that Animal Crossing is out, I'm dying to play it. I'm thinking about getting the 3DS XL, since I hear it's more comfortable. Anybody else have more feedback on the comfort of the XL?

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get an XL unless your like me and need mobility. I had to get a normal due to pocket size :(

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I already had a big handheld (Vita), so there was no point in me getting another gigantic one to go with it. Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS all the way, yo!

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was about to shop around for an XL after skimming through this thread. Then I found a Zelda Edition OG 3DS for roughly 90 euros, new, with warranty. So I got that ^^ The cheapest XL's I could find were around 300 euros, so no contest there.

Would double dip for an XL though, if they make a Zelda Edition down the line.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seesic

I bought the new leaf xl, as an upgrade from my Zelda 3DS and I've been enjoying it.

There isn't anything I miss about the original 3DS, I like that the 3D slider stays off and clicks to off so it stays there. The 3D is superior and seems to be easier on my eyes.

And as a guy with big hands they don't start to cramp up as much when I hold the 3DS XL, it can get uncomfortable if I've been marathoning animal crossing. But no where near as bad as with the original 3DS, and cramps happen after far more time if they happen at all.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@robot_sneakers said:

I bought the new leaf xl, as an upgrade from my Zelda 3DS and I've been enjoying it.

There isn't anything I miss about the original 3DS, I like that the 3D slider stays off and clicks to off so it stays there. The 3D is superior and seems to be easier on my eyes.

And as a guy with big hands they don't start to cramp up as much when I hold the 3DS XL, it can get uncomfortable if I've been marathoning animal crossing. But no where near as bad as with the original 3DS, and cramps happen after far more time if they happen at all.

Everything you said is exactly how I feel/felt. I too got the Animal Crossing 3DS XL.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Im slightly obcessed with buying a XL lately for some reason, I own a regular 3DS and I barely played the thing (I didnt even play Zelda, even tho I bought it), but the influx of cool looking games lately (fire emblem, animal crossing, mario 3d land, ok that one not so lately but like I said, I barely played anything on 3ds)

Are the screens noticiably bigger? I love the Vita's screen size for example. And also, is it worth it even if I cant see 3d at all? Because I cant.

nexey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XL

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried a regular 3DS, and I couldn't get the 3D to work all that well. But the 3DS XL 3D works perfectly. Went with that. The lower resolution is a bit jarring at first, but you get used to it.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By DystopiaX

XL. It's not that much more expensive and is superior in every way in my experience.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I'm the only one who DOESN'T like the XL. It just feels cheaper to me (Slider is cheaper, analog stick is cheaper), and the fact that its not as portable is a HUGE drawback to me. A key feature of the 3DS is streetpassing, and you'd have to carry your 3DS in a bag everywhere you want to streetpass with people. I can just slip my 3ds in my pocket and be on my way. I play it on the train all the time, just cant imagine having to carry that thing everywhere along with the cheaper build quality.

Avatar image for brettyarberry347
    brettyarberry347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the regular 3DS to the XL. 1) the regular 3DS has better graphics resolution (smaller pixels), this makes the image appear sharper. 2) much cheaper

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.