Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

A serious question for any hopefuls...

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Captainlunchbox

How long before we see the 3DS Lite? 

Nintendo breeds handheld hardware revisions like rabbits. 

It goes back to the GBA- only took a couple years before they listened to everyone, or realized they were losing money to modders, about the backlight. Then the GBA Micro came along.  

Then the DS, the Lite, then the DSi, then the DSi XL. 

So it's reasonable to ask this, because does anyone like being burned by obsolescence?

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CaptainObvious

I don't know, the 3DS already looks pretty slick.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Captainlunchbox

Yeah and so did the GBA, the DS and the DS Lite. I'm excited for this and it looks b.a. but I know what Nintendo's gonna do. Probably make it 4D and become quadrillionaires or something.

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Blueman
    @Captainlunchbox said:
    "Yeah and so did the GBA, the DS and the DS Lite. I'm excited for this and it looks b.a. but I know what Nintendo's gonna do. Probably make it 4D and become quadrillionaires or something. "

The DS did not look slick. Even when it was new it was too big and ugly.
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Captainlunchbox
    @Blueman: Yeah but that's your opinion- when it was announced, Ninty marketed the dual screens like they were hot new commodities. They're not gonna openly acknowledge that it looks like shit haha.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ

I dunno, how long did it take Sony to come out with the 2000, 3000, or go? Or the Iphone 2, 3, or 4? Hardware revisions are a fact of life for portable devices.
    It will probably be about two years after the original release.  
    @Captainlunchbox said:

" Yeah and so did the GBA, the DS and the DS Lite. I'm excited for this and it looks b.a. but I know what Nintendo's gonna do. Probably make it 4D and become quadrillionaires or something. "
    The original DS looked like crap. The lite was necessary. 
    Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ratcabbage

They probably will come out with a newer 3DS a year or so after its initial launch. That's just the way it is with most companies, and it's the price early adopters pay.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

To be honest, I don't know what they could add to the 3DS. It looks like a pretty full featured device. I'm sure they'll find a way to upgrade it to make money, but I imagine they'll be more like going from the DSi to the DSi XL (which isn't really a major upgrade, and is easy to just ignore) rather than the DS to DS lite, or DS lite to DSi (which were pretty significant upgrades).

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    @Captainlunchbox said:
    " @Blueman: Yeah but that's your opinion- when it was announced, Ninty marketed the dual screens like they were hot new commodities. They're not gonna openly acknowledge that it looks like shit haha. "
    The screens looked fine, but the device itself was ugly. Everyone knew it. 
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By CoolDrMoney

If 3DS hits early 2011, then holiday 2012 for the Lite.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Captainlunchbox
    @MattyFTM: It's my guess that they'll find a way to downsize it either in weight or size, refine the buttons, add another analogue stick- things of that nature. But even those small improvements would justify a whole new model is my point.
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Captainlunchbox
    @AgentJ: I guess I missed the part of the E3 press conference where Miyamoto and Iwata walked out and proudly proclaimed "The DS looks like shit, right? Well, hey, we got this new thing..."
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AgentJ
    @Captainlunchbox: Yeah, you did, because they didn't reveal it at an E3. But go online and watch any ds lite review, and they will say how ugly the original was. 
    @Captainlunchbox said:
    " @MattyFTM: It's my guess that they'll find a way to downsize it either in weight or size, refine the buttons, add another analogue stick- things of that nature. But even those small improvements would justify a whole new model is my point. "
    Yes, it will justify a new model, just like any other portable device ever. 
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Captainlunchbox said:
    " @MattyFTM: It's my guess that they'll find a way to downsize it either in weight or size, refine the buttons, add another analogue stick- things of that nature. But even those small improvements would justify a whole new model is my point. "
    Yeah, but does it really matter if they bring out a new model with a few minor additions? It's easy enough to ignore slightly different models. It only becomes an issue when they make major changes that significantly improve the hardware - which I don't think they will be able to do with the 3DS.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15  Edited By Icemael

Unlike the DS Phat, the 3DS already seems pretty awesome. That's not to say they won't release a slightly improved version of it a year or two after launch -- they will -- but it's probably not gonna be enough of an improvement to justify waiting (or trading in an original 3DS, for that matter).

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Willy105

Judging from the GBA and DS, the first revision might come in 2013 or later.

But I don't see how it really matters. Unless you have a disease that forces you to buy the same console over and over again, it shouldn't really matter at all, or even notice it.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Binman88

The thing with the original DS, is that you could tell by looking at it that you would prefer a smaller, more elegant one. When I bought a lite, there wasn't really anything I thought they needed to improve with it, and, at least for me, I was right - the DSi and LL didn't have any major design changes worth upgrading to. The 3DS is like the lite to me now. It looks good and I can't see what they could add to make it more appealing to me. I'm sure they will iterate in some way, but I won't be waiting for the next version, but rather I'll be buying it on launch day!

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By c1337us

I don't know. It'll happen, but when and what they will do to it is something else.

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
    deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Icemael: The only real improvements the DS lite made over the DS Phat is that it was smaller, brighter and a LOT less ugly. While I'm sure the 3DS is fine on the first two fronts, it's aesthetics could prove to be something worth improving (if they stick with the ugly as hell design they showed off at E3).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.