Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Any comparison pics of DS games running on 3DS vs. DS?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By RainVillain

I keep hearing about how DS games look really ugly on the 3DS, some sort of artifacting going down or something, if 1Up's Jeremy Parish is to be believed (he posted some videos which were too low quality to make out). 

Has anyone posted some quality pictures of DS games on 3DS? 

Johnnyredwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Johnnyredwine

I, too, am concerned about this. I've been wanting a DS for a while now but waited as 3DS = more power. However, most of the games I want to play are old DS titles.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene

Old DS titles will still be in 2D from what I had previously heard.

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By positrark
    @melcene said:

" Old DS titles will still be in 2D from what I had previously heard. "

Not to sound patronising but duh. The 3DS doesn't upscale 2D to 3D. That's not what the tread starter is talking about. The point is that tests seem to be indicating that DS games take longer to load and don't run as well on the 3DS compared to the DS.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By melcene
    @Positrark: No offense taken.  I simply don't see the use of using the 3DS for the older titles if there's no sort of upgrade to them, and if that's mostly what someone plans on playing.  I recently favored opting for an XL over waiting on the 3DS.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Zithe
    @melcene:

I think a lot of people plan on trading in their older DS to make up for the 3DS's price tag. So if that whole library of games is affected, it would suck.
    BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By BrittonPeele

This isn't a comparison of screenshots, but Kotaku ran a video before that seems to indicate games will actually look a tad bit better, just because the screens are better. You can also hold some buttons (I think Start and Select) to run the DS games a little smaller on the screens, making them look even better. 

In any case, whether the quality is actually better or worse, everything I've heard seems to indicate that it's barely an issue either way.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By craigbo180

I remember reading somewhere that they take longer to load but they look a little better than on the DS (no widescreen though). It would suck if they didn't run as well, but I'm not trading my lite in anyway.

norsedudetr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By norsedudetr

That sounds like a smart move, the DSi XL is totally rad!
    @melcene

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SpudBug

They're going to look like how PSOne games look when played on PSP if you stretch them. 

The resolution is higher on the 3DS so they can't look the same. Either they get stretched and blurred out (think watching a DVD on an HDTV)  Or they are displayed smaller on the screen at native resolution. That's a problem for stylus games because the play area is very small.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.