Anybody else think it should be louder?

#1 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Is it just me or is the 3DS too quiet? Even at full volume I find myself wishing it would go louder.

#2 Posted by Dixavd (1291 posts) -

Not to me. Use headphones if it bothers you.

#3 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

get an ear syringe and just keep at it

#4 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Dixavd: I do, I was playing through MGS3 watching a cutscene at full and it was at a decent volume, but I could have done with it a little bit louder. That being said I listen to my music on my iPhone always at the top, probably doing crap to my ears.

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

Sounds like you have hearing problems, MGS is plenty loud with headphones on.

#6 Posted by DeF (4778 posts) -

If you find yourself cranking the system up to full volume, you should probably be using headphones anyway. It will sound better and you won't need to turn the volume up that much.

#7 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I may go to the doctors about it, see if I do have a problem.

#8 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

oh, actually it might depend on the game. This was a thing on PSP, for instance Juiced Eliminator is loud on 1 volume, whereas LittleBigPlanet is very quiet and you have to crank it up to hear anything.

#9 Posted by Legend (2646 posts) -

I agree, compared to my iPhone and Vita, sound on the 3DS is really really bad.

#10 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I haven't had any issues. I've been playing Kid Ikarus at like half volume without any issues.

#11 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

Not to me. Use headphones if it bothers you.

I found it to be extremely low with headphones too, playing in a busy environment like a bus terminal was not a great experience but its fine at home of course

#12 Posted by Slaegar (686 posts) -

The 3DS is pretty quiet compared to most mp3 players and such. Its not too bad and its sound is better out of the device than my psp 1000.

The audio quality out of the 3.5mm jack is also worse sounding that my iphone.

Its a bit of a shame since the 3DS would make a decent mp3 player with its SDHC slot and you can close the device and the music keeps playing.

I imagine expensive audio equipment was not a huge concern for them when trying to get the price down.

Its good enough for what its built for, though.

Its its unbearable you could pick up a portable audio amp.

Something like this might work

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E6-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8/ref=pd_cp_e_0

#13 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I haven't really thought about it. I keep the slider on about half and that works most of the time, but usually sound is completely off because I don't want to disturb other people. On full, it's about equal to my PSP-2000 though.

#14 Posted by GunstarRed (4997 posts) -

It is pretty low volume, I have it up full. I tend to use headphones though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.