Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Anyone else think the 1 analog stick will be a problem?

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By swat200

i see this as possibly being a bad thing. i mean the system looks cool but the PSP struggled with ways to make only one analog stick work with mobile games and in my opinion failed horribly and the games suffered for it. even amazing titles like Metal Gear i had no interest in playing on the PSP because of the horrible camera controls. 

So yea does anyone else see this as a potential problem?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Bollard

I don't need no two analogue sticks for Super MonkeyBall, Animal Crossing, Starfox 64, Pokemon, Paper Mario... Sooo nahh.

mikmanner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By mikmanner

You are forgetting the touch screen which has turned out to be a neat interface for FPS aiming.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

All third person games would be better if they put the effort into making good fixed cameras. First person games don't really make sense on handhelds. So that's my answer. Compensate for the 1 analog by making your camera not suck.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yes. It's a problem. Just like it's a problem for the Wii.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The way the 3DS is designed, I heavily doubt this will be an issue, especially with 8-4's very positive impressions on the slide pad.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The DS did fine with no analogue sticks, one is more than enough for the 3DS. The issue with the PSP's single analogue stick is because people are developing games for it that are far more suited to a home console. The 3DS hopefully shouldn't have that problem. Developers should continue to develop games suited to the touchscreen and handheld gaming in general, just like they did for the DS.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By BrittonPeele

No, it's not a problem. I don't WANT games that would require two analog sticks (like console FPS games or what-have-you) on my portable system.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ravensword

This isnt really any different then the compaints peopel ahd for PSPs 1 stick.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think that for 90% of games, if you're only gonna have one analog stick you might as well have no analog sticks. D-Pads work better for 2d, and for 3d you want a second stick for camera control.

I don't anticipate it really being a problem though because most of the games I will want to play on the thing will be platformers and RPGs, neither of which you need a stick for.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @mikmanner said:
    " You are forgetting the touch screen which has turned out to be a neat interface for FPS aiming. "
    This. 
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By nintendoeats

Like everything on the 3DS, I'm not convinced that there is any need for even one. but in the end, 2 is neither feasible or worthwhile for what the DS is about.

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By swat200
    @mikmanner: ahh see i didnt like aiming with the touch pad in metroid because of how cramped it made my fingers. also I've heard some rumblings that Kid Icarus is gonna use that same style and reviews are already having issues playing it. 
    @MattyFTM:  Yea but if you look at alot of the launch titles at least it seems that the PSP mentality of just move home stuff to a mobile platform is starting to stick to the 3DS. Metal Gear, Street Fighter, Splinter cell, Assassins Creed and Resident Evil are just a few that pop into my mind. I think at this point I'm more looking at this system with a wait and see mentality because of just how badly burned i was by the PSP
    Avatar image for whitebrightknight
    WhiteBrightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MattyFTM said:
    " The DS did fine with no analogue sticks, one is more than enough for the 3DS. The issue with the PSP's single analogue stick is because people are developing games for it that are far more suited to a home console. The 3DS hopefully shouldn't have that problem. Developers should continue to develop games suited to the touchscreen and handheld gaming in general, just like they did for the DS. "
    This. 

@TheGreatGuero
    said:
    " Yes. It's a problem. Just like it's a problem for the Wii. "  
    I wouldn't say it's a problem for the Wii(unless you're being sarcastic, which is hard to tell on forums), 1. Because the pointer controls work just fine in any good shooters (Metroid Prime, most COD ports, Goldeneye, Conduit; not a good game but good controls), and 2. Developers always have the option to include classic/gamecube controller support.
    maffrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By maffrew

I don't think it will be too much of a problem. Sure they may be games where we'd like to have it but I feel like the DS had decent work arounds. That should continue I think.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Grumbel
    @mikmanner said:
    " You are forgetting the touch screen which has turned out to be a neat interface for FPS aiming. "
    That argument is true for right handed people, but left handers will have a problem. The lack of a second analog stick breaks the symmetry that the NintendoDS provided, thus switching between right and left will become an issue.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Grumbel said:
    " @mikmanner said:
    That argument is true for right handed people, but left handers will have a problem. The lack of a second analog stick breaks the symmetry that the NintendoDS provided, thus switching between right and left will become an issue. "
    For left handed, I would imagine movement would be mapped to the face buttons like in past DS FPS's. It really wouldn't be much different from WASD since there would be no analog, but whatever, you don't always need analog control especially since all you would be doing is strafing and moving back and forth in a shooter anyway.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

If Nintendo just makes prettier looking DS games and doesn't try to make close to the original ports of home console games then no it shouldn't.  Though when the DS did try games like Metroid Hunters, Mario 64, and Resident Evil 1 the controls sucked ass.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

ANALog...he-he.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Enigma777

Yes. It hurt the PSP and it will hurt the 3DS.

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By jasondaplock

There aren't enough shoulder buttons for a dual-analog movement scheme to be practical in most cases and, as most people have already mentioned, games that require that kind of control suck on handhelds. 

If the PSP2 was a Dualshock with a flip-up screen, I would be on board for that setup. Otherwise, not a big deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ask the PSP.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kjellm87

When thinking about Mario 64 DS I say nah

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho
    @Bucketdeth said:
    "  Ask the PSP. "
    PSP has about a hundred other problems the DS didn't and the 3DS won't.
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By blackbird415

depends on how its implimented but as long as theres a touchscreen itll be much easier to be a pros. addiction rather than a hinderence

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By krazy_kyle

With one analogue stick the 3DS will function fine as it also has the touch screen  which the psp doesn't
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwho said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    "  Ask the PSP. "
    PSP has about a hundred other problems the DS didn't and the 3DS won't. "
    I know the PSP has had problems, I wasn't denying it.
    cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By cjmabry

The touch screen is pretty much a second analog stick. I don't see it having a factor.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#29  Edited By jacksukeru

It won't be a problem as long as developers don't make 3rd person games that require camera control as well as the use of the R and L buttons. 

As for first person games, what I played of Metroid Hunters seemed to work well enough with the touch screen. 

I'd still like a second analog stick though and am curious why you wouldn't put one on there.

thunderPIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By thunderPIN

It won't be a problem at all. The DS has sold 135 million consoles and the lack of a second analog stick hasn't held it back. From the FPS games I have played on the system, the touch screen controls have worked nicely. I'm not concerned at all.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By AuthenticM

It's not a problem because: 

a) Games on the DS/3DS are not the same as the ones on the PSP; they are more suitable for a portable system, whereas the PSP tries to be a PS2, and fails everytime. 
    b) the 3DS has a touchscreen just like its predecessor, while the PSP didn't. 

In the end, what handicapped the PSP the most was the single joystick coupled with the lack of touchscreen.

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jtmosh

I don't think it'll really be a problem. I bet, much like the DS, most games on the 3DS will be tailored to fit the strengths of the system. Rather than on the PSP where you have games that would really be better on a console crammed on there.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ch3burashka

The PSP's one analog stick was a dud because developers still had two-analog PS2 games in mind. Games that are built for one analog stick work well. What worries me more is left-handed usefulness. I'm alright with my right hand, but if I can avoid it, I'd rather use my left. 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By AndrewB

I'll be interested to see how long it takes developers to realize you won't be able to really use the analog stick and the touchscreen at the same time. Unless you have a 3rd party holding the console for you. 

I'd definitely like to see a second analog stick on there, but we'll see if someone can come up with an effective way to design around that. It unfortunately rules out decent ports of good Gamecube games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.