Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Anyone switch from 3DS to 3DS XL often?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I feel like a weirdo but I originally had a 3DS OG from launch, sold it, then got the 3DS XL. At some point I got fed up by the lack of portability of the 3DS XL so I decided to get the 3DS OG in Midnight Purple and sell my 3DS XL. Later on I missed the 3DS XL's comfort so I bought another one.

I own both now and I find that every once in a while I switch between the two. Right now I'm using the 3DS XL but I'm tempted to go back to the 3DS OG because it's just far easier to carry around than the XL is. I take mine with my everyday since I commute to and from my office job.

Anyone else do this? Or am I just crazy?

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I started with the regular 3DS but after I got the XL I just couldn't go back to the smaller screen, although I would kill for them to release an XL in that midnight purple color.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You may be crazy. I bought an OG 3DS at launch and will never get the XL cuz I want my portables, you know, portable. Plus, I don't like the plastic-y joystick and buttons on the XL, it feels cheaper made.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I can understand it's size being a problem, but I personally value that larger screen.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That just seems crazy

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

You may be crazy. I bought an OG 3DS at launch and will never get the XL cuz I want my portables, you know, portable. Plus, I don't like the plastic-y joystick and buttons on the XL, it feels cheaper made.

Yeah, the 3DS XL definitely feels like it's made from cheaper material.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheBlue

Sometimes when I come across my OG 3DS, I'll boot it up and wonder how anyone can see anything on those tiny screens. I feel like a giant holding one, and I don't even have huge hands.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a big ass dude with pretty big pockets, so the XL is fine for me. Also ive got a car and lug around a backpack, so portability isn't a huge issue for me.

That said new 3ds may be up my alley if it has a middle of the road sized screen in an almost OG 3ds size...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I mean, I bought the XL because I know I'm a student/my work requires I bring a bag with a change of clothes, meaning I travel everywhere with some sort of school/work bag, meaning I always have the space to carry it. If you don't think your lifestyle accommodates having the space for the XL, don't buy the XL. Or resolve to only playing the XL at home.

Your situation sounds crazy. Also, agree with @theblue that the OG 3DS feels tiny. But that's neither here nor there; buy the 3DS version that you can fit into your lifestyle.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bwheeeler

The OG 3DS is a steaming turd sandwich. The 3DS XL seems super rad. The new 3DS seems like a significant enough improvement that it's making me feel like a big old pile of turds because all I have is an OG 3DS that I barely even want to play, being fully aware of the fact that the new 3DS won't come out until 2015.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I may be crazy, but I'm totally looking to go from the XL to the new 3DS. The increased screen size is nice but the body is just a tad bit too large to be comfortably pocketable.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I bought an XL when I got my 3DS and have come to regret the purchase. Call me wimpy all you like but my hands get tired holding the XL, particularly with games like Theatrhythm where I need to hold it with one hand and use the stylus with the other. The bigger screen is nice but not nice enough to compensate for its heft. I plan to "downgrade" to the smaller model when the new ones come out here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.