Being a European owner is terrible

#1 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

Hi.

I'm not necessarily saying that the European market on the 3DS is particularly stangant, it's just fucking terrible to actually BUY videogames for the system.

Outside of the big 3 games (Mario/Mario Kart/Zelda), it's very hard to find a justification to recommend a 3DS to someone at the moment. I'm not saying I regret buying it, because I have a great time with it, it's just...buying new games is terrible.

Let's say I want to buy Cave Story 3DS. You can't. It's not in any stores. ANY of them. I've been into HMV/Game/CEX in the nearest 3 cities, and you can't buy it.

Let's say I want to buy Tales of the Abyss. That's even worse. It doesn't even EXIST in most stores databases. And let's say I do want to buy it, without restriction. Am I really going to spend over 45 pounds (Roughly $75) for it?

Let's say I want to buy Digital Devil Saga Overclocked. Well actually, never mind that. It's not coming out in Europe.

Does anyone else feel like this? That theres just such a draught of games for the 3DS in Europe/or at least in the UK? Out of all the games coming out, I don't even know any release dates either. Animal Crossing? Luigis Mansion 2? Paper Mario 3D? Heroes of Ruin? Nothing outside of a vague "Maybe in this quarter, I guess..."

#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

The three titles you named are some of the titles I really wanted to play, but then my store told me they're not even sure it was coming this way.
 
I think it's silly, I think there's not enough clarity over how or when games or things come out over here.
 
I really just want the new Monster Hunter, then I'll be a little happy.

#3 Posted by buft (3321 posts) -

i felt like that up until i got rid of it, then i was like " shit, i'm missing out" but i won't fall for it again...

#4 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The three titles you named are some of the titles I really wanted to play, but then my store told me they're not even sure it was coming this way. I think it's silly, I think there's not enough clarity over how or when games or things come out over here. I really just want the new Monster Hunter, then I'll be a little happy.

It feels like it's that way with the entire 3DS lineup. There's no commitment to ANY release dates, and even when there is, it's the NA dates. Europe gets shafted by Nintendo

#5 Posted by GunstarRed (5401 posts) -

I haven't been annoyed about any boxed games yet, but the e-shop is really annoying. Do I really want a Nintendogs demo ever Sakura Samurai, Mutant Mudds and VVVVVV?

#6 Posted by MEATBALL (3397 posts) -

In terms of PAL in general Cave Story has been easy enough to find in Australia, Tales of the Abyss hasn't been released, and yeah it's a real bummer that Digital Devil Summoner isn't coming. Bit.Trip hasnt seen release yet either. Then there's the PAL e-shop, no VVVVVV and no Sakura Samurai - I've got a feeling I'm forgetting something else. At least Dillon's Rolling Western has been released this week.

#7 Posted by probablytuna (3805 posts) -

Still playing Pullblox. That game is addictive as hell.

#8 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

I'd definitely be inclined to agree, owning Europeans is a real pain in the ass. They just require so much maintenance!

#9 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

Can't argue with any of this. You think you have it bad? I have to import from England to get anything decent and you are complaining about England. I look for to my American 3DS about the middle of the year, then I can import some of the better games we miss out on or never get.

#10 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The three titles you named are some of the titles I really wanted to play, but then my store told me they're not even sure it was coming this way. I think it's silly, I think there's not enough clarity over how or when games or things come out over here. I really just want the new Monster Hunter, then I'll be a little happy.

It feels like it's that way with the entire 3DS lineup. There's no commitment to ANY release dates, and even when there is, it's the NA dates. Europe gets shafted by Nintendo

Always kinda been that way, but with the 3DS its so painfully visible.
Last time I hated something like this was the almost year and a half (if not more) delay between USA and EU release of Smash Brothers Brawl.
 
I'm a Nintendo supporter, but I downloaded that game asap. I still bought it later when it came out here but that took months!
You can't expect EU fans not to do such things when it comes to a all star title like Smash Bros.
#11 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The three titles you named are some of the titles I really wanted to play, but then my store told me they're not even sure it was coming this way. I think it's silly, I think there's not enough clarity over how or when games or things come out over here. I really just want the new Monster Hunter, then I'll be a little happy.

It feels like it's that way with the entire 3DS lineup. There's no commitment to ANY release dates, and even when there is, it's the NA dates. Europe gets shafted by Nintendo

Always kinda been that way, but with the 3DS its so painfully visible. Last time I hated something like this was the almost year and a half (if not more) delay between USA and EU release of Smash Brothers Brawl. I'm a Nintendo supporter, but I downloaded that game asap. I still bought it later when it came out here but that took months! You can't expect EU fans not to do such things when it comes to a all star title like Smash Bros.

Kirbys epic yarn

US Release: October 17th 2010

EU release: Feb 25th 2011

What could they need to localise that took 3 months?

#12 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The three titles you named are some of the titles I really wanted to play, but then my store told me they're not even sure it was coming this way. I think it's silly, I think there's not enough clarity over how or when games or things come out over here. I really just want the new Monster Hunter, then I'll be a little happy.

It feels like it's that way with the entire 3DS lineup. There's no commitment to ANY release dates, and even when there is, it's the NA dates. Europe gets shafted by Nintendo

Always kinda been that way, but with the 3DS its so painfully visible. Last time I hated something like this was the almost year and a half (if not more) delay between USA and EU release of Smash Brothers Brawl. I'm a Nintendo supporter, but I downloaded that game asap. I still bought it later when it came out here but that took months! You can't expect EU fans not to do such things when it comes to a all star title like Smash Bros.

Kirbys epic yarn

US Release: October 17th 2010

EU release: Feb 25th 2011

What could they need to localise that took 3 months?

I blame the germans, the french and the italians.
 
Learn english, you sods.
#13 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The 3DS will be hacked this year I bet. So if they release a game in the US then take months to a year to bring it to Europe then they have lost a sale.

They should just release English only releases to places like Norway, Sweden, England and Netherlands. Most of them know the fucking language anyway, so tired of having to wait for PAL games to be localised for 6 different languages.

#14 Posted by Mnemoidian (956 posts) -

Yeah, I've had similar experiences with DS titles.

When Ghost Trick was released - it was impossible to find. No one had it, neither online or in stores. Everyone just said "It's sold out" and shrugged, as if they could not order more/would not get more copies. Online stores were simply sold out (from pre-orders, I assume).

Part of why I've not made the DS -> 3DS upgrade plunge yet.

Stores are full of the shovel-ware crap that I'm not interested in, the few games that I enjoy are impossible to get a hold of.

#15 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The three titles you named are some of the titles I really wanted to play, but then my store told me they're not even sure it was coming this way. I think it's silly, I think there's not enough clarity over how or when games or things come out over here. I really just want the new Monster Hunter, then I'll be a little happy.

It feels like it's that way with the entire 3DS lineup. There's no commitment to ANY release dates, and even when there is, it's the NA dates. Europe gets shafted by Nintendo

Always kinda been that way, but with the 3DS its so painfully visible. Last time I hated something like this was the almost year and a half (if not more) delay between USA and EU release of Smash Brothers Brawl. I'm a Nintendo supporter, but I downloaded that game asap. I still bought it later when it came out here but that took months! You can't expect EU fans not to do such things when it comes to a all star title like Smash Bros.

Kirbys epic yarn

US Release: October 17th 2010

EU release: Feb 25th 2011

What could they need to localise that took 3 months?

I blame the germans, the french and the italians. Learn english, you sods.

I am sure there is a perfectly reason for it, but why can't they make English speaking countries a single region and release at the same time? Is that naive, racist or xenophobic? Better still, just give region locking the heave-ho and let us import.

#16 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1596 posts) -

Is it just me (Ignorant American), or does Europe seem to get more and more fucked with each passing year in regards to games?

#17 Posted by Village_Guy (2657 posts) -

@Contrarian said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The three titles you named are some of the titles I really wanted to play, but then my store told me they're not even sure it was coming this way. I think it's silly, I think there's not enough clarity over how or when games or things come out over here. I really just want the new Monster Hunter, then I'll be a little happy.

It feels like it's that way with the entire 3DS lineup. There's no commitment to ANY release dates, and even when there is, it's the NA dates. Europe gets shafted by Nintendo

Always kinda been that way, but with the 3DS its so painfully visible. Last time I hated something like this was the almost year and a half (if not more) delay between USA and EU release of Smash Brothers Brawl. I'm a Nintendo supporter, but I downloaded that game asap. I still bought it later when it came out here but that took months! You can't expect EU fans not to do such things when it comes to a all star title like Smash Bros.

Kirbys epic yarn

US Release: October 17th 2010

EU release: Feb 25th 2011

What could they need to localise that took 3 months?

I blame the germans, the french and the italians. Learn english, you sods.

I am sure there is a perfectly reason for it, but why can't they make English speaking countries a single region and release at the same time? Is that naive, racist or xenophobic? Better still, just give region locking the heave-ho and let us import.

If we were to put the english speaking countries into one region, then please add Denmark too - we don't speak english here but we are good at it, and games doesn't get translated into danish anyway...

#18 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel: No, that is exactly how it feels.

#19 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Village_Guy said:

@Contrarian said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The three titles you named are some of the titles I really wanted to play, but then my store told me they're not even sure it was coming this way. I think it's silly, I think there's not enough clarity over how or when games or things come out over here. I really just want the new Monster Hunter, then I'll be a little happy.

It feels like it's that way with the entire 3DS lineup. There's no commitment to ANY release dates, and even when there is, it's the NA dates. Europe gets shafted by Nintendo

Always kinda been that way, but with the 3DS its so painfully visible. Last time I hated something like this was the almost year and a half (if not more) delay between USA and EU release of Smash Brothers Brawl. I'm a Nintendo supporter, but I downloaded that game asap. I still bought it later when it came out here but that took months! You can't expect EU fans not to do such things when it comes to a all star title like Smash Bros.

Kirbys epic yarn

US Release: October 17th 2010

EU release: Feb 25th 2011

What could they need to localise that took 3 months?

I blame the germans, the french and the italians. Learn english, you sods.

I am sure there is a perfectly reason for it, but why can't they make English speaking countries a single region and release at the same time? Is that naive, racist or xenophobic? Better still, just give region locking the heave-ho and let us import.

If we were to put the english speaking countries into one region, then please add Denmark too - we don't speak english here but we are good at it, and games doesn't get translated into danish anyway...

My point exactly, barely anything gets translated into dutch, except for child games and Beyond Good and Evil (which I very much liked in Dutch, was well done!).
I learned english in school and I talked with enough german/french/whatever country gamers and they all have a decent enough grasp on it.
 
I do not know if its the real reason for the delays everytime (or in every case) but I never understood why some countries NEED to have it translated.
Translation never syncs well, isn't as good as the original often and many jokes are lost.
It's silly.
#20 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel said:

Is it just me (Ignorant American), or does Europe seem to get more and more fucked with each passing year in regards to games?

Yes

#21 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Village_Guy said:

@Contrarian said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Fallen189 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The three titles you named are some of the titles I really wanted to play, but then my store told me they're not even sure it was coming this way. I think it's silly, I think there's not enough clarity over how or when games or things come out over here. I really just want the new Monster Hunter, then I'll be a little happy.

It feels like it's that way with the entire 3DS lineup. There's no commitment to ANY release dates, and even when there is, it's the NA dates. Europe gets shafted by Nintendo

Always kinda been that way, but with the 3DS its so painfully visible. Last time I hated something like this was the almost year and a half (if not more) delay between USA and EU release of Smash Brothers Brawl. I'm a Nintendo supporter, but I downloaded that game asap. I still bought it later when it came out here but that took months! You can't expect EU fans not to do such things when it comes to a all star title like Smash Bros.

Kirbys epic yarn

US Release: October 17th 2010

EU release: Feb 25th 2011

What could they need to localise that took 3 months?

I blame the germans, the french and the italians. Learn english, you sods.

I am sure there is a perfectly reason for it, but why can't they make English speaking countries a single region and release at the same time? Is that naive, racist or xenophobic? Better still, just give region locking the heave-ho and let us import.

If we were to put the english speaking countries into one region, then please add Denmark too - we don't speak english here but we are good at it, and games doesn't get translated into danish anyway...

My point exactly, barely anything gets translated into dutch, except for child games and Beyond Good and Evil (which I very much liked in Dutch, was well done!). I learned english in school and I talked with enough german/french/whatever country gamers and they all have a decent enough grasp on it. I do not know if its the real reason for the delays everytime (or in every case) but I never understood why some countries NEED to have it translated. Translation never syncs well, isn't as good as the original often and many jokes are lost. It's silly.

Phew, I thought I might get slammed for that. I argue a lot that most niche Japanese games should just have subtitles and then release them worldwide. Most gamers who would buy them don't care if they are voiced in Japanese anyway (I quite often use the option when available). It can't be that expensive to add subtitles from scratch and make a worldwide edition. Then I could play those Japanese games that never get a release. Like it or not, English is really a default language for most of the world now.

#22 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Contrarian: Just translate games to english no matter what, but make every version that isn't english spoken have subtitles for english.

I just kinda wanna know what takes some games so long to come out here, or some never even make it.
Game racism, yo!
#23 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

Have you tried getting them online? Amazon UK has Cave Story 3DS for £33. Tales is £38 pounds on ShopTo.net.

I agree that release dates always seem vague in Europe, but for the games that are out, you really should try using online retailers, they're a lot better than brick-and-mortar shops.

#24 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

Yeah, the bits that are missing on the eshop are making me upset. I REALLY REALLY want Sakura Samurai and VVVVVV.

#25 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

@abdo said:

Have you tried getting them online? Amazon UK has Cave Story 3DS for £33. Tales is £38 pounds on ShopTo.net.

I agree that release dates always seem vague in Europe, but for the games that are out, you really should try using online retailers, they're a lot better than brick-and-mortar shops.

Both of those games have a "up to a month" delivery time. And I find that pricing pretty abhorrent. I bet it's as bad everywhere, mind you

#26 Posted by agentboolen (1832 posts) -

@Fallen189: Wait you bought a Nintendo console for something more then just Nintendo branded games?!

#27 Posted by theoldhouse (439 posts) -

Imagine being German!

I shudder at the very thought! (I mean game wise, best country otherwise!)

#28 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@agentboolen said:

@Fallen189: Wait you bought a Nintendo console for something more then just Nintendo branded games?!

More than 60% of the games I have on the DS and Wii are non Nintendo branded. Why is that a surprise?

#29 Posted by BasketSnake (1266 posts) -

I got my 3ds just a few days ago. I was very surprised at the lack of content on the e-shop a YEAR after release. I can't quite believe it. What the hell is happening? I don't care though because I bought it to play mario, zelda and other upcoming games. From what I've read it seems I need to try pullblocks.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

At least you guys get Fire Emblem.

#31 Posted by theoldhouse (439 posts) -

anybody have an opinion on Dillon Rolling Western? Kinda want something to tide me over till VVVVVV, Sakura and Mutant Mudd get released in our backwater hellhole called Europe.

#32 Posted by Sogeman (874 posts) -

Yes, there aren't that many games. There's not one game out right now that would get me to buy a 3DS. I'm waiting until there are 3 announced in the near future that I wanna play before I buy one. There's only one so far: Lugis Mansion. No Phoenix Wright, no Layton, no Pokemon, nothing. It's sad.

The region lock doesn't make it better. At least with the DS you didn't have to wait until they decided to release a 5 language version. I'm playing in english, just give me the damn games.

#33 Posted by norenewalfee (110 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: Me can speak English good because me have some English in school here at Germany...

Seriously though I really can´t understand why it takes that long to localize those games...it´s been always a problem (especially with Nintendo)

#34 Posted by kagato (950 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

@abdo said:

Have you tried getting them online? Amazon UK has Cave Story 3DS for £33. Tales is £38 pounds on ShopTo.net.

I agree that release dates always seem vague in Europe, but for the games that are out, you really should try using online retailers, they're a lot better than brick-and-mortar shops.

Both of those games have a "up to a month" delivery time. And I find that pricing pretty abhorrent. I bet it's as bad everywhere, mind you

Whats wrong with the pricing? Are you saying you have found the games eleswhere but you dont want to pay £30ish for them? What did you think was more reasonable? Tales was £40 in stores when it did get released, you dont pay shipping with Shopto so you save a couple of pounds.

#35 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

All but Devil Survivor are easy to find. It sucks that that one's not getting released here, but don't misrepresent the situation.

#36 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

This is because people keep buying games off of Amazon, if you want them back in shops you need to stop buying them online, you can't have it both ways!

#37 Posted by Bollard (5756 posts) -

Dude what why are you even going into shops for games? I would have thought the death of GAME would have been a giant ass flag to say its not even worth it, but it took me a 3 second search on play.com to find both the first two games you wanted.

Admittedly the 3rd is impossible to get, but what is wrong with online?

http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/19475910/Cave-Story-3D/Product.html?searchstring=cave+story&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/20064374/Tales-Of-The-Abyss/Product.html?searchstring=tales+of+the+abyss&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Both less than £35. You could probably easily find them cheaper too.

#38 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Can you guys buy from Amazon?

Edit: I just realized you probably need a credit card, and you guys dont use credit cards.

#39 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Can you guys buy from Amazon?

Edit: I just realized you probably need a credit card, and you guys dont use credit cards.

What? Of course we do.

#40 Posted by Gaff (1848 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

Dude what why are you even going into shops for games? I would have thought the death of GAME would have been a giant ass flag to say its not even worth it, but it took me a 3 second search on play.com to find both the first two games you wanted.

Admittedly the 3rd is impossible to get, but what is wrong with online?

http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/19475910/Cave-Story-3D/Product.html?searchstring=cave+story&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/20064374/Tales-Of-The-Abyss/Product.html?searchstring=tales+of+the+abyss&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Both less than £35. You could probably easily find them cheaper too.

Probably because 1 month and 3 weeks ago GAME was still "fine"? Sort of.

#41 Posted by Bollard (5756 posts) -

@Gaff: Maybe if you had your head in a hole?

#42 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2477 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:

@Dagbiker said:

Can you guys buy from Amazon?

Edit: I just realized you probably need a credit card, and you guys dont use credit cards.

What? Of course we do.

In Germany they are not widely used at all. We have debit cards instead.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card#Germany
#43 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

@atomic_dumpling said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Dagbiker said:

Can you guys buy from Amazon?

Edit: I just realized you probably need a credit card, and you guys dont use credit cards.

What? Of course we do.

In Germany they are not widely used at all. We have debit cards instead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card#Germany

Well, yeah; but you can use debit cards in the same places. Or at least you can here in England. I only have a debit card and have never had a problem with using it anywhere I want. Most of the time if a site asks for credit card details, you can just put in debit card stuff and be on your merry way.

#44 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Dagbiker said:

Can you guys buy from Amazon?

Edit: I just realized you probably need a credit card, and you guys dont use credit cards.

What? Of course we do.

In Germany they are not widely used at all. We have debit cards instead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card#Germany

Well, yeah; but you can use debit cards in the same places. Or at least you can here in England. I only have a debit card and have never had a problem with using it anywhere I want. Most of the time if a site asks for credit card details, you can just put in debit card stuff and be on your merry way.

Ok, my understanding, wrongly, was that you didnt use debit cards or credit cards. Personally i just have debit cards too.

#45 Posted by Chop (2000 posts) -

Meh, it's not any different here. To get any 3DS games outside of Mario, you have to order online. And we don't know any release dates here either, Nintendo don't really seem announce shit that far ahead anywhere.

#46 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

its the same when you compare the psp psn store to the Us one

its the same when you compare Origin to the US one (no global sales is laughable, and people wonder why most love steam)

etc etc etc over the years

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.