Considering getting a 3DS, few dumb questions.

#1 Posted by Sanity (1911 posts) -

When the price drop happened i was like yea, i might grab one this holiday or something. Then i saw Gamestop was running a trade in program, as much as i hate that place it might get me to walk in there. Basically i can get 50 bucks off a new 3DS if i trade my ds lite in on it. Only got until the 12 i think to do itt though.

So here is my few questions...

Whats worth getting besides zelda? And i'll be honest, i have never played it. I got the weird combo thing back in the day when i bought my game cube but i never played it much. Just kinda checked it out is all.

How do ds games play on the 3ds? I dont have a huge amount of ds games and theres still some i want to pick up so i dont wanna trade my ds in if games dont work well on the 3DS. I heard some people saying the colors were off for ds games but no idea if they were just spouting nonsense.

Is the netflix support in yet? And if so hows that work?

Thanks.

#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Zelda's great ofcourse, rest I can't say, personally I can't wait for the incoming games this holiday, they will make the handheld shine.

I play Pokemon White/Dragon Quest IX/other DS games quite frequently, plays smooth and looks pretty good when stretched to the 3ds screen, but I'm not much of a graphics gal anyho.
There's no hitches, glitches, errors or whatevers so far, and I've been playing since launch, DS emulation is solid.

#3 Edited by sewageking1 (19 posts) -

The only 3DS game I have so far is Rayman 2, which isn't great.  As a fan of the game (I played it many years ago on the Dreamcast) I like having a good handheld version, but it's certainly not worth buying a 3DS for.   I'm not super interested in Ocarina of Time, so I'm waiting for Cave Story, which I know will be great, and possibly Super Mario 3D and Mario Kart. 

DS games play fine on the 3DS.  The visual fidelity varies from game to game.  2D games in particular look a little pixelated, and the colors aren't quite as bright, while 3D games actually seem a little sharper. 

Also, you CAN use the analog stick to play DS games, but it basically acts as a d-pad, as there is no true analog input in those games.  However, I've noticed that many 3D games control better with the analog stick, despite the fact that it doesn't actually provide analog control.  For example, Okamiden feels much more natural with the analog stick than with the d-pad.

#4 Posted by Barrock (3540 posts) -

I recently bought one as well. I've only purchased Zelda but Devil Survivor Overlock came out this past week. I've also heard great things about the Ghost Recon game.

I've been playing Dragon Quest IX (Just bought it) and it's playing excellently. I love using the analog nub to move. Works great.

#5 Posted by Colt (110 posts) -

Netflix support is go. The audio and video quality take a very small hit.. its really not that noticeable. Also Star Fox comes out next week so I'd say GET IT NOW!!!!

#6 Edited by Sanity (1911 posts) -

Depends when i get out to the mall, but i think i will grab one up before the deal ends, most likely this week at some point. I know its not coming until next year but i have to have one for Paper Mario. I cant not play that, and theirs a bunch of stuff on the way im interested in so looks good. Thanks guys.

#7 Posted by probablytuna (3684 posts) -

I bought a 3DS with Ocarina of Time 3D less than two weeks ago. I never bought a DS so Ocarina is pretty much the only game that I can play on my system and the 3DS launch titles aren't all that appealing. That said, I think it was worth it and I'm hopeful that there are more upcoming titles that'll get me excited (not that interested in Star Fox 64 3D or Mario Kart 7 but Super Mario 3D Land looks quite good).

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

Wait and see what the announcement is next month. Lets see if the rumors about the 2nd thumbstick are true are not.

#9 Posted by Sanity (1911 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

Wait and see what the announcement is next month. Lets see if the rumors about the 2nd thumbstick are true are not.

Im not worried about that all that much, and anyways the trade in deal would be gone by then. That rumor sounds insane, and even if its true they would have to be morons to announce it before the holiday season.

#10 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I can't answer too many of your questions just yet, but I traded in my DSi and got $90 off the 3DS at Gamestop and I'm happy with it so far. It's a much bigger upgrade over the DSi than I had expected. Though I must say, I'm not digging the 3D feature as much as I thought I would. I guess it works best if you lay it down flat or something. If you twist or turn the thing while in 3D, it's very jarring to look at. I guess I can't keep my hands still well enough, so I keep ending up turning off the 3D. Still, I'm glad I traded in for it.

I bought Zelda and so far, it's awesome. Though, I'm not crazy about the analog on the 3DS. It's not bad, but using it while holding the console just isn't as comfortable as I'd like. In fact, after about an hour of playing my 3DS, my hand is sore, which sucks. Then going back and forth with the stylus isn't very fluid. Still, I'm having a good time, and that might just take some getting used to. 

There's a strong lineup coming out, it seems. The Virtual Console lineup is small right now, but already there's several games I want to download. Amazon was selling a bunch of 3DS games for $20 the other day, so I ordered Nintendogs and Cats, but it hasn't arrived yet.

#11 Posted by Sanity (1911 posts) -

Just figured id pop back in and say i got one yesterday and im happy with it. I got OoT and it plays well, really enjoying it so far. Since theres not much else right now im catching up on some ds games i missed as well. Picked up New Super Mario Bros and i ordered Bowsers Inside Story along with The World Ends With You. Was on the fence about a screen protector, i never had any issues with my ds but i figured i would be safe so i ordered the HORI one. Anyone else have one on theres? Just wondering how hard it is to get on right and clean the screen before hand.

#12 Posted by Skullo (646 posts) -

I'm going to get one (either buy one (most likely) or getting one from Christmas) either way. I'm interested in RE: Mercs 3DS and Zelda.

How does the battery life hold up? I never had a DS. Do you have to charge it up at first or is it already charged?

#13 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@dudy80 said:

Picked up New Super Mario Bros and i ordered Bowsers Inside Story along with The World Ends With You.

Those are some great picks. 

HORI stuff is generally high quality, so you're most likely be safe with one of their screen-protectors, if you want one.
#14 Posted by Hailinel (24977 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

I'm pretty sure that's just wishful thinking.

#15 Posted by Sanity (1911 posts) -

@Skullo said:

I'm going to get one (either buy one (most likely) or getting one from Christmas) either way. I'm interested in RE: Mercs 3DS and Zelda. How does the battery life hold up? I never had a DS. Do you have to charge it up at first or is it already charged?

Zelda is great of what i'v played of it so far, battery life kinda sucks, 5-6 hours or so i think. I dont mind it much because i play it more at home then anything but i can see how it would be a pain for long rides and such. As far if its charged already i have no idea, i came how yesterday and threw it on the charge dock while i cooked some steaks on the grill so when i went to play it had a full charge.

#16 Posted by Skullo (646 posts) -
@dudy80 said:

@Skullo said:

I'm going to get one (either buy one (most likely) or getting one from Christmas) either way. I'm interested in RE: Mercs 3DS and Zelda. How does the battery life hold up? I never had a DS. Do you have to charge it up at first or is it already charged?

Zelda is great of what i'v played of it so far, battery life kinda sucks, 5-6 hours or so i think. I dont mind it much because i play it more at home then anything but i can see how it would be a pain for long rides and such. As far if its charged already i have no idea, i came how yesterday and threw it on the charge dock while i cooked some steaks on the grill so when i went to play it had a full charge.

Oh that's cool. Been wondering about that.
#17 Posted by JackSukeru (5917 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

Just figured id pop back in and say i got one yesterday and im happy with it. I got OoT and it plays well, really enjoying it so far. Since theres not much else right now im catching up on some ds games i missed as well. Picked up New Super Mario Bros and i ordered Bowsers Inside Story along with The World Ends With You. Was on the fence about a screen protector, i never had any issues with my ds but i figured i would be safe so i ordered the HORI one. Anyone else have one on theres? Just wondering how hard it is to get on right and clean the screen before hand.

It's not too difficult to apply though you definetly want to do it as soon as possible before it gets to much dust on it. I got a screen protector together with my first DSlite and put it on right away so I don't really have any experience cleaning it beforehand, maybe I did it a little for my 3DS, can't remember. I messed up putting one on a DSlite that I had been using for a while and stuff got stuck under it and eventually had to throw it away.

Anyway, hope it works out for you, especially since the 3DS has that thing where the edges on the smaller lower screen leave marks on the top screen.

#18 Posted by Skullo (646 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@JJOR64 said:

I'm pretty sure that's just wishful thinking.

I can only imagine how all those GAFholes manage to keep their jobs when they start bellowing out complete bullshit or whatever. You cannot be that stupid and still have a high paying job. You have a brain, use it dammit!
#19 Posted by CrazyBagMan (843 posts) -

Ghost Recon is excellent if you like strategy games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.