Crazy Headline Incoming: eShop Finally Getting Demos

• 57 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3981 posts) -

Nintendo’s approach to game demos has been maddening, and while it’s not the reason most never bothered to explore WiiWare, it certainly didn’t help matters. Only a handful of games received playable demos on WiiWare, and those demos eventually disappeared for no reason.

The eShop on 3DS will be getting the ability to support demos at the end of next month, at least in Japan, reports Andriasang. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed this at an investor conference, where Iwata anounced the company's first annual loss in 30 years.

Companies will have the ability to limit the number of downloads on demos, but one would assume (though hope is probably more like it) companies could also set that number to, you know, unlimited.

Other additions to the eShop include support for downloadable content, the ability to continue downloads when the 3DS goes into sleep mode, and down-the-road plans to have the eShop viewable on the web.

Mostly, I hope all these very late iterative updates mean Wii U comes out of the gate much stronger.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3981 posts) -

Nintendo’s approach to game demos has been maddening, and while it’s not the reason most never bothered to explore WiiWare, it certainly didn’t help matters. Only a handful of games received playable demos on WiiWare, and those demos eventually disappeared for no reason.

The eShop on 3DS will be getting the ability to support demos at the end of next month, at least in Japan, reports Andriasang. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed this at an investor conference, where Iwata anounced the company's first annual loss in 30 years.

Companies will have the ability to limit the number of downloads on demos, but one would assume (though hope is probably more like it) companies could also set that number to, you know, unlimited.

Other additions to the eShop include support for downloadable content, the ability to continue downloads when the 3DS goes into sleep mode, and down-the-road plans to have the eShop viewable on the web.

Mostly, I hope all these very late iterative updates mean Wii U comes out of the gate much stronger.

Staff
#2 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

How progressive.

#3 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

PILE SOME MORE COAL INTO THE FURNACE

THIS TRAIN IS STILL GOING, BABY!

#4 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

I hope Super Mario 3D Land has one. I've heard so many different things about the controls on that game I don't know what I'd think.

#5 Posted by Quantical (346 posts) -

How many years too late?

#6 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5415 posts) -
@JohnDudebro said:

PILE SOME MORE COAL INTO THE FURNACE

THIS TRAIN IS STILL GOING, BABY!

The Cole Train runs on whole grain, baby! Whoo!
#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
How progressive.
That's Nintendo for you: making headlines by including features that the competitors have had for a while.
#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11800 posts) -

Mayhap it is finally time for Nintendo to create a new franchise...

#9 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS

#10 Posted by Quantical (346 posts) -

I think they should give up on the hardware market. It's obvious they don't have a clue. The Wii U really?

I love some of the games though.

#11 Posted by jessej07 (213 posts) -

This is the perfect article to sum up Nintendo in 2011.

#12 Posted by ShatterShock (70 posts) -

"while it’s not the reason most never bothered to explore WiiWare.."

Hell, it was for me. The only games I've ever bought from WiiWare were Castlevania Rebirth and Contra Rebirth, two games I could be 100% confident of enjoying. Everything else just wasn't worth the risk when XBLA allows you to try before you buy.

#13 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

My body is ready.

#14 Posted by GohanEgret (37 posts) -

"Only a handful of games received playable demos on WiiWare"

That's not true. Starting from when Nintendo first put up WiiWare demos to now, there have been roughly 43 demos made available. The fact that all but two remain is astronomically insane, though.

"Companies will have the ability to limit the number of downloads on demos"

Well, what Iwata said could be interpreted in a couple of ways. Yours is certainly one of them, but according to the quote ...

"Another addition is the ability for the software publishers to provide the owners of Nintendo 3DS systems with demo versions of their software, for which they can put a limit on the number of trials."

... it could also mean that demos can only be played X amount of times before it's rendered useless (similar to what Battlefield 1943, SkyDrift and the first Sonic Generations demos did).

#15 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

I'm still pissed at the 3DS because when Kindgom Hearts comes out I might have to get one.

#16 Posted by Bollard (5399 posts) -

So, are they ever gunna release like, you know, 3DS WARE GAMES?

Cause DSi Ware just ain't cutting it.

#17 Posted by dannyodwyer (355 posts) -

CHOO CHOO!

THE TRAIN IS PULLING INTO THE DEMO STATION YALL!!!

(seriously more NDXP please guys!)

#18 Posted by jasondesante (603 posts) -

I want apple to buy nintendo. so nintendo can stop converting to yen, so apple can have a gamepad. so apples flaws are gone, and nintendos worrys are gone.

#19 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -

But if games get demos NO ONE WILL BUY THE FULL GAME!

#20 Posted by chickdigger802 (501 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
How progressive.
That's Nintendo for you: making headlines by including features that the competitors have had for a while.

The same for Sony and MS and even EA's Origin. Including features that Steam been doing for a while ;)

Everything is so feature packed these days, it's kinda hard to be 'first'.

#21 Posted by Crono (2652 posts) -

Why the fuck is this being written by Patrick and not Jeff?

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@chickdigger802
But Nintendo's the only one I know of to make a habit of it. Remember when it was a big deal that they included online play with the Wii? Or when they finally admitted that discs are probably a good idea?
#23 Posted by Katkillad (142 posts) -

@Crono said:

I really wish we could downvote posts. Kind of like how wowhead worked and enough downvotes make the comment go hidden.

As far as the story goes, no demos are 100% the reason why I didn't buy more than 1 or 2 wiiware games. I love Nintendo, but welcome to 6 year old standards!

#24 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@chickdigger802 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
How progressive.

The same for Sony and MS and even EA's Origin. Including features that Steam been doing for a while ;)

Steam belongs in the first list alongside everyone that followed MS down the achievement trail. Other than that, I basically agree. No one online service stands alone as "we did it all first" or "we're still the only ones that do X", anymore, which is a good thing. Though I would point out that XBL is still the only service that offers demos for every single one of it's download-only titles (not going to count Games on Demand). The fact that Sony doesn't require this bugs me, but then so does everything about PSN. The fact that people still release PC games on Steam that don't have demos also blows my mind. Demos drive sales. Why doesn't everyone see that?

#25 Posted by Eribuster (486 posts) -
and those demos eventually disappeared for no reason.

Well, wasn't the reason an old one in that one head of Nintendo thought giving people access to demos might have some of them only play demos instead of buying full games?

Anyway, the time limit on the WiiWare demos always bothered me. I hope Nintendo doesn't do that in the future.

#26 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -
@Crono said:

#27 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I forgot I owned a 3DS until I found it in my glove box yesterday.

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

@chickdigger802 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
How progressive.

I don't think that's a good comparison, XBLA has been around and providing these features for almost as long as Steam, and while PSN was very much a "me too" service, it's at least provided basic functions since release. The fact it has taken Nintendo 7 years to let us play game demo's is downright embarrassing.

#29 Posted by Cybexx (1162 posts) -

They need to ration those demos Patrick, because we all know that the harder you make it to access your demo the more sales that translates to, Sony loves that shit.

Seriously though I wonder if Nintendo is going to be charging publishers for the bandwidth costs of those demos and the reason publishers can limit the downloads is to keep their costs down. I'm pretty sure something similar came out about Playstation Network last year.

#30 Posted by thellama042 (108 posts) -

@GohanEgret said:

That's not true. Starting from when Nintendo first put up WiiWare demos to now, there have been roughly 43 demos made available. The fact that all but two remain is astronomically insane, though.

How many WiiWare games are available right now? I get the feeling it's a number much larger than 43, and I can't remember any WiiWare games having demos when I owned a Wii.

#31 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

The 3DS is saved! 

Nope.

#32 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

I simply find it hard to care about this system. I have owned it for two months now and have enjoyed it a far amount, but haven't really "got it". Though, this is some good news as it gives me more of an incentive to try some of the games. With all that said though, Super Mario Land 3D and Luigi's Mansion 2 are pretty much the only 3DS games that have my attention.

#33 Posted by CitizenJP (1016 posts) -

Finally...I guess. Sure are a lack of games to play that's for sure. I'm glad the 3DS still plays DS games at least lol.

#34 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Where's the Mega Man Legends 3 Demo now Nintendo and Capcom?! Assholes.

#35 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
@Crono said:

Cause Patrick is his little buddy. When he grows up he hopes to be just like Jeff.
#36 Posted by Vasta_Narada (441 posts) -

@Quantical said:

I think they should give up on the hardware market. It's obvious they don't have a clue. The Wii U really?

I love some of the games though.

What is it about the Wii U that has you thinking that?

#37 Posted by aajf (223 posts) -

@Crono said:

Patrick hate continues to baffle me.

#38 Edited by GohanEgret (37 posts) -

@thellama042: How many WiiWare GAMES are available? All of them. How many DEMOS are currently available? Two. How many TOTAL demos have Nintendo put on the service? 43.

#39 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

Fuck I hope this thing rebounds in a spectacular way.

#40 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -
@aajf

@Crono said:

Patrick hate continues to baffle me.

It's not Patrick hate it's because Jeff used to cover this kind of stuff on a certain podcast...
#41 Posted by LevelUpAdrian (161 posts) -

Meh, this system has nothing going for it.

#42 Posted by Cirdain (3042 posts) -

I'm glad I didn't get one.

#43 Posted by slothboyadvance (8 posts) -

Nintendo just had to lose a billion dollars to realize they need to improve their online services.

#44 Posted by BisonHero (6400 posts) -

@Katkillad said:

@Crono said:

I really wish we could downvote posts. Kind of like how wowhead worked and enough downvotes make the comment go hidden.

As far as the story goes, no demos are 100% the reason why I didn't buy more than 1 or 2 wiiware games. I love Nintendo, but welcome to 6 year old standards!

I don't think he's trying to bash Patrick. I think he's saying Jeff was the right guy to discuss this topic, given Jeff's past coverage of WiiWare, DSiWare, and eShop stuff.

#45 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

I can't believe how laughably slow Nintendo is with this stuff. All Nintendo has going for them is that they are good innovators. They are still the slowest to adapt with the times, and that is why the other systems will always be better than theirs.

#46 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1179 posts) -

I don't need demos to know that the eshop games are garbage.

#47 Posted by frondoni (29 posts) -

@GohanEgret said:

@thellama042: How many WiiWare GAMES are available? All of them. How many DEMOS are currently available? Two. How many TOTAL demos have Nintendo put on the service? 43.

I think you might have missed the point of that post.

#48 Posted by fantasyfreak07 (66 posts) -

Very good news.

#49 Posted by me3639 (1747 posts) -

Wow, innovative?

#50 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

Love the nintendo hate....dont understand it....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.