did this kill psp chances

#1 Posted by mugugipan (376 posts) -

I think that 3ds will kill any chance the psp has, at least for this generations. I personally, never having bought a ds, cant wait to buy this.

#2 Posted by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

Nope...Marcus killed the PSP

#3 Posted by mugugipan (376 posts) -

whose marcus?

#4 Posted by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -
@mugugipan:   
#5 Posted by Gamer_152 (14067 posts) -

I dunno, I don't really see anything coming to the PSP which would have improved its chances anyway, certainly the 3DS means Nintendo will further dominate the handheld market but even if they didn't have that on the way I don't think the PSP would be destined for great sales anyway.

#6 Posted by Landon (4136 posts) -
@JustinSane311
That kid had an awful reality show on Cartoon Network. He's not funny.
#7 Posted by mugugipan (376 posts) -

oh, yeah!!!
@JustinSane311 said:

" @mugugipan:   

"

#8 Posted by siavm (76 posts) -

The ds killed the psp already. The 3ds is just going to stomp on its grave.

#9 Posted by Jhriad (115 posts) -

The PSP has been dead.

Also 3DS isn't "this generation" it's the next generation of handheld hardware.  We'll have to see what Sony has in the bag for the PSP 2 before we can make any conclusions as to whether it can compete with the 3DS.

#10 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

To compete with the 3DS, I think Sony has no choice but to start with a next generation PSP model. The DS is already doing much better, the 3DS will probably sell even better.

#11 Posted by ashogo (943 posts) -
@JustinSane311: What the fuck was Sony thinking when they launched this?
#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10889 posts) -

The PSP has been floundering for a while, but that didn't stop me from buying one last year. I do, however, think that since the 3DS is basically a DS with the top screen replaced by a PSP and given 3D power, that the PSP will have zero advantages, unlike at present when it is the more powerful of the two. 

Moderator Online
#13 Posted by Chris2KLee (2333 posts) -

In Japan Monster Hunter 3 will give the PSP a boost through the end of the year, but after that you'd better believe Sony is gonna start the hype machine for PSP2. I've had a great time with the system, but they're gonna need some new hardware to stay in the portable game. Their last couple of advantages, graphics and game size, are gone now.

#14 Posted by Spoonman671 (4595 posts) -

Killed any chance the PSP has at what?

#15 Posted by agentboolen (1761 posts) -

The PSP has its gamers, the machine is really hacked and thats what really killed the PSP's chances.  People don't buy games for it they just get them through the internet.  For a PSP2 it would definetly have a chance if it came out at the right time, was stronger then 3ds, and needs a good price point.  But right now easy money is on Nintendo.
#16 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

The problem really is the audiences the two are aimed at. Casual players love the DS due to its innovative touch screen that allows them to interact differently with their games and as for the PSP it's really only aimed at Sony fans and the hardcore audience that prefer graphics over innovation. The 3DS shows it's innovatinve once again with 3D minus the glasses. Hearing Ryan's impressions about it, it really does seem like the real deal and casual audiences will love it when they see first hand its capabilities. It's sad to say but I feel the causal audience far outwieghs the hardcore and that's why Nintendo keeps trying to introduce innovative products and not the ones that appeal only to fans.
#17 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Don't worry PSP, i still love you

#18 Posted by ki11tank (682 posts) -
@siavm said:
" The ds killed the psp already. The 3ds is just going to stomp on its grave. "
#19 Posted by Iceman2913 (508 posts) -

Wow at the people who think the PSP is dead.
They have no idea what they are talking about :(

#20 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -

Sony did a pretty good job killing the PSP without Nintendo's help. I mean, I like my PSP, but ... man, that's a sorry platform for games. Aside from the rare crazy Japanese game, it's bad-port-city.

#21 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Well since Birth by Sleep is coming to the psp soon there still is a chance of me getting one, maybe. 
But if Sony doesn't announce something new like a psp2 with some amazing features then theres a good chance that the 3ds will curb stomp the psp to pieces.

#22 Posted by ProfessorEss (7310 posts) -
@litrock said:
Sony did a pretty good job killing the PSP
Yeah, sure the DS helped with some of the nails but from concept, to pricing, to new SKUs I think Sony was it's own worst enemy on this one.
#23 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Iceman2913: PSP pretty much only wins in its home market when something interesting comes out. Even when I went to Tokyo, most everyone on the rails who had a game system had a DS out. Short of the random JRPGS (i.e. Persona) and Monster Hunter, the PSP has little going for it. Even Gran Turismo was somehow butchered after so many years in development.

@litrock said:
" Sony did a pretty good job killing the PSP without Nintendo's help. I mean, I like my PSP, but ... man, that's a sorry platform for games. Aside from the rare crazy Japanese game, it's bad-port-city. "
Yes. 

This is what makes the launch of the PSPgo baffling. By then, there wasn't much already.
#24 Posted by Iceman2913 (508 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" @Iceman2913: PSP pretty much only wins in its home market when something interesting comes out. Even when I went to Tokyo, most everyone on the rails who had a game system had a DS out. Short of the random JRPGS (i.e. Persona) and Monster Hunter, the PSP has little going for it. Even Gran Turismo was somehow butchered after so many years in development.

@litrock said:
" Sony did a pretty good job killing the PSP without Nintendo's help. I mean, I like my PSP, but ... man, that's a sorry platform for games. Aside from the rare crazy Japanese game, it's bad-port-city. "
Yes.  This is what makes the launch of the PSPgo baffling. By then, there wasn't much already. "
yeah that doesn't mean the PSP isn't making a profit or is anywhere close to dead. Just because the DS sales more and ect.. doesn't mean the PSP wasn't successful.
#25 Posted by ty24 (6 posts) -

nup, no matter what changes the ds goes through, psp will still be psp and its games and multimedia advantages will still stay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.