Digital Downloads, how are they validated?

#1 Posted by CoverlessTech (746 posts) -

What are 3DS eshop purchases attached to? I can't seem to remember creating an account or anything...

Say I was to buy Fire Emblem from the eshop, then in the future I got a new 3DS(this one broke, upgraded to a new version). Would I still be able to play my eshop purchase on that new device? Or is it attached to the device?

#2 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

i think it's attached to the device, but the 3DS has a system transfer tool that lets you transfer your stuff (and licence, i suppose if something like that even exists with the 3DS) to another system.

with that said, i wonder how it would work out if you broke your 3DS.

#3 Posted by CoverlessTech (746 posts) -

Yeah, that's why I'm kind of nervous to buy anything on the eshop. On one hand I love digital downloads as I don't need to switch out carts, but if the game is literally stuck on that one 3ds it doesn't really seem worth it.

#4 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

The account is automatically created when you first access the eShop. It's tied to the the device, so you can't access your downloads onto any other 3DS unless you transfer the account with the system transfer tool.

#5 Posted by Tan (425 posts) -

They can be attached to your Nintendo Club account to prove that you own them, but it's not actually utilized in any way.

So yeah, it's stuck on your system. As much as I love digital downloads, the situation is kind of hanging by a pinkie.

#6 Posted by Flappy (2253 posts) -

Is that really how that works? Wowzers! Nintendo sure is silly!

#7 Edited by Eribuster (491 posts) -

Nintendo refuses to break out the cash to have a proper account system. Instead, there DRM solution is to tie digital purchases to the system. For most people, I assume won't be a problem for a system's active life time. However, it just sucks if a system is stolen or breaks.

Still, didn't stop me from buying a few eShop games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.