Do you feel the 3DS is comfortable to hold?

#1 Posted by Th3_James (2578 posts) -

So, I've had a 3DS since launch(bad idea) and I have always held the 3DS in the cradle it came with as opposed to actually holding the device as intended. I personally hate the feel of the 3DS in my hands, but really find it comfortable to hold it from the charging cradle.

Anyone else find the original 3DS uncomfortable to hold?

#2 Posted by KarlPilkington (2729 posts) -

It feels fine to me.

#3 Posted by Chop (1997 posts) -

I've never had any problems with it. I mean, it's not super comfy or anything but hey, at least it isn't the psp. Stupid Portable Ops turning my precious hand into a mutant claw...

#4 Posted by Th3_James (2578 posts) -

@Chop said:

I've never had any problems with it. I mean, it's not super comfy or anything but hey, at least it isn't the psp. Stupid Portable Ops turning my precious hand into a mutant claw...

I actually found the original psp very comfortable.

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -

Not at all, it just feels way too small, and I can't get a comfortable grip on it. I'm thinking of getting a XL for this reason alone.

#6 Posted by Crono11 (1649 posts) -

I haven't really had a problem with it but I've only played Theatrythm and have had it on either a table or my lap.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24811 posts) -

No problem here.

#8 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Maybe after a long play session, yeah but not like immediately or within the first hour of use.

#9 Posted by Thoseposers (785 posts) -

Playing Kingdom Hearts makes my hands tired after a while. i wouldn't say i have huge hands and controllers and handhelds never usually affect me but with the 3ds my hands do feel slightly too big for it. But that doesn't change how much i love the system overall

#10 Posted by The_Nubster (2147 posts) -

The only time it bothers my hands is when I have to support it entirely on my own, without a table or anything to rest on, and the game is trigger-heavy.

#11 Posted by Seroth (719 posts) -

I don't find the 3DS very comfortable to hold, yeah. I would like to try out a 3DS XL to see if it helps.

#12 Posted by DxBecks (72 posts) -

The 3DS is comfortable for about an hour or so but after that my hand starts to get cramped. I bought the Circle Pad Pro the other day, and it makes the system much more comfortable to hold for extend periods of time.

#13 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

I got used to it since I've always played games on my DS. You tend to get used to it like other controllers. The one controller that took me awhile to get used to was the Xbox 360 and Wii controllers.

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (11942 posts) -

Not particularly D:

#15 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

It feels really cramped in my hands; that's probably why I really want an XL.

#16 Edited by Zithe (1045 posts) -

I think it is fine for games that are touchscreen-heavy or don't require much dexterity with the buttons, but I played through Metroid Fusion on it recently and it was rough. Trying to use the shoulder buttons, D-pad, and buttons all at once was not comfortable at all.

#17 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

I find it quite comfortable to hold, but hitting the shoulder buttons always feels a bit awkward. Besides that, though, I have no complaints.

#18 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

It's absolutely fine unless you have giant hands I guess.  Good thing I'm not a mutant.

#19 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1593 posts) -

The only game that's really been a problem for me is Mario Kart 7. Holding down L constantly (which is, unfortunately, necessary to hold two items) can get really uncomfortable.

Playing through Rhythm Heaven was also a bit awkward because of the sideways orientation, but I doubt it's much better on other DSes.

#20 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@Th3_James: It honestly hurts my hands after a few minutes.

I find using the circle pad pro to help but it doesn't matter considering that most games require using the L/R functions and not many of them have the substitution feature using the ZL/ZR buttons.

I was thinking of upgrading to a 3DS XL just for the comfort factor. Anyone do this yet?

#21 Posted by Pablo_biffy (9 posts) -

I have the 3DS XL.  It's a pretty snug fit in the hands, no complaints on the comfort side of things.  :) 
That also includes the 3D comfort on the eyes.  Dunno if that is because of the larger screens, but i haven't been plagued by headaches; however I keep the 3D slider at about halfway.

Currently waiting for Paper Mario Sticker Star to come out in the UK; it's not out until the 7th December here.  Aw :(

#22 Posted by 49th (2758 posts) -

I have no problems holding it or viewing full 3D for everything. It's sometimes awkward when you want to use the D-Pad but meh

#23 Edited by aquamarin (555 posts) -

It's cramp city.

#24 Posted by Stradivari (24 posts) -

I don't mind it so much. It's annoying to play while lying down just because the top screen gives it a weird weight distribution.. other than that, I've had no issues. I do have small womanly hands though.

#25 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

It's kind of meh I think. It can get uncomfortable in some games (KI: U ground segments being the absolute worst) but for the most part it's just fine.

#26 Posted by Th3_James (2578 posts) -

@cannonballBAM: Odd that you commented at this time. Just today I was thinking about how uncomfortable my 3DS is and decided to try and fix it. I added electrical tape to my 3ds all over the place so I didn't have to hold the device with a glossy surface, I also put electrical tape on the thumb nub thingy and than put some other tape on top of that to give myself more grip. Sounds really fucking ghetto and stupid, but it has made my 3DS feel al ot better in hand. I still hold the 3ds in the charging cradle to add more heft to it.

#27 Posted by Shadow2K6 (381 posts) -

Original felt cramped. XL is comfortable.

#28 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@Th3_James: Sounds like you should design a grip cover for the 3DS.

I had the similar the problem with a vita but was able to find a good pair of rubber grips that attach and make it feel like a PS3 controller.

Start up the Giant Bomb 3DS grip cover kickstarter. I'll donate.

#29 Posted by Wallzii (173 posts) -

I find the original 3DS to be pretty uncomfortable to play on. The angular edges dig into my hands a bit and as it is so small, creates cramps after even short gaming sessions. I upgraded to the 3DS XL this week more so for the additional screen size and battery life, but it is definitely infinitely more comfortable and the previous issues don't apply even after hours of gaming. If you can trade your 3DS in or sell it to offset the cost of an XL, I'd definitely suggest the switch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.