Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Do you think Nintendo will keep 3D functionality for their next handheld?

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think Nintendo will keep 3D functionality for their next handheld? (31 votes)

Yes 16%
    No 71%
    There will be no next Nintendo handheld! 13%
     • 
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Nope.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I wonder if it would be possible for the next handheld to be backwards compatible with 3DS games without the 3D being present.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By monkeyking1969

I doubt it, but then again who knows what sorts of 3D tech someone will develop. If the 3D screens gain resolution, become cheaper, and can be used without adding much more cost...then why not.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Naw, probably not. They just don't seem super committed to the idea. The weird thing with the 3DS is that as far as the way they seem to be marketing it now, they barely even mention the 3D or the touch screen (and hardly any games are touch screen focused).

Their approach really seems to be "Hey, we know some people like playing portable games that aren't crummy phone games, so buy our thing! It has some alright games, ya know, Year of Luigi, and so on. More of your friends have our thing than they do the Vita, probably".

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

@oscar__explosion said:

I wonder if it would be possible for the next handheld to be backwards compatible with 3DS games without the 3D being present.

Sure. All 3DS games can function without the 3D. If it's removed, then the games will still be perfectly playable; in fact, 99% of the time I have my 3D turned off (the other 1% of the time is when I accidentally move the slider).

I'm actually wondering if there will be another 3DS revision in the future, or if they'll just move straight to the DS One.

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atleast not in the current form, they might try to go the glasses root, but unless they can improve upon the technology immensely, it would be a huge waste. Games like Mario 3D Land 1 and 2 both used it in ways that made the game better, but then you play a game like Luigi's Mansion 2 and the 3D only gets in the way and makes the game look horrible. Part of it is poor texture rendering, anytime you go into 3D you lose a huge amount of quality because of textures getting blurred or straight-up disappearing from view. So while you do have things popping out of the screen, it's sort of like walking through a block world where everything is bland looking. This works in some games that don't rely on texture quality for the spirit of the game or relies heavily on bright, colorful imagery. Glasses would make everything darker though, which while, much better than the simulated-3D we have with the 3DS, has its own problems entirely. I think it's about time for Nintendo to give up on the gimmicks and get back to their roots, engaging characters with stories for everyone and fun, addicting gameplay.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Oh! The 3DS 2. Yea, totally.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

If the handheld sells well, I feel they will continue to hang on to their existing tech to get every molecule out of it. Considering when the WiiU came out they didn't even bother to put out a new replacement for the 2nd+ controller so they kept using the Wiimote. When I've tried playing games with it in retail store displays, the 3d was like how it is in movies for me, neat to see but more of a distraction.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What if the next Nintendo handheld was just some kind of Google-glass equivalent with a bluetooth controller? REALLY bring back the Virtual Boy.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No, there will be a new gimmick just like sony will make a new gimmick for its new handheld system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.