Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

E-Shop Games & 3DS Memory Card

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I am getting a 3DS XL this week and it will come with Animal Crossing pre-installed. Also, thanks to the wonderful site user smashed_pumpkins I will be recieving a free digital copy of Monster Hunter.

BUT WAIT! That's not all.

Thanks to a 3DS promotion I will also be getting a digital copy of Fire Emblem. I'm not sure what size the memory card is that comes with the 3DS but will I be able to install all of this, all the ambassador program games and a few more virtual console games without issue? Will I need to buy a larger card or can I survive with this?

A second question I have, which I just thought of, is what will happen to the pre-installed animal crossing game if I do a system transfer from my old 3DS to this XL? Will that stop working or get deleted?

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CaptainTightPants

@alistercat:

You're getting the Animal Crossing Bundle? It looks like it has a 4GB memory card. Animal Crossing is around 750 MB, Monster Hunter is about 1.7 GB, and Fire Emblem is around 1 GB. That's about.... 3.45 GB? This is only an approximation, but it looks like you would be cutting it close.

Someone on Neogaf recommended this memory card. I believe the max the 3DS can use is a 32 GB memory card, and that seems cheap enough. 8 GB, 16, 32, your choice.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MideonNViscera

Holy fuck, you got the 3 best games so far this year. Nice.

EDIT: Also, sweet link on the card there @captaintightpants. Gonna order one tomorrow.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captaintightpants: Thanks. Looking in to the particular sizes of the games I've read conflicting things. Higher and lower than what you have listed. Can't see to find anything from Nintendo.

I don't know a lot about SD cards. It's a bit more expensive in the UK for that particular card, I'm not sure what to look for in something cheaper.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera: Yeah. That and Phoenix Wright later this year, I'll be set. I also have Donkey Kong and Luigis Mansion sitting here waiting to be played. No more 3DS games for me.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slaegar

@captaintightpants said:

@alistercat:

You're getting the Animal Crossing Bundle? It looks like it has a 4GB memory card. Animal Crossing is around 750 MB, Monster Hunter is about 1.7 GB, and Fire Emblem is around 1 GB. That's about.... 3.45 GB? This is only an approximation, but it looks like you would be cutting it close.

Someone on Neogaf recommended this memory card. I believe the max the 3DS can use is a 32 GB memory card, and that seems cheap enough. 8 GB, 16, 32, your choice.

Funny story. That's the SD card I bought for my 3DS in February. I got the 16GB model and I've had zero problems with it.

You can use a card larger than 32GB for the 3DS but you have to do things to it, it won't work out of the box. Also 32GB is probably all the space you will ever need and more. I still have about 12GBs left on my 16GB card with a few downloaded games and a bunch of extra stuff.

Also nice choice on games. I just downloaded fire emblem and I've been having a blast. I picked up Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and put about 80 hours into it so far.

edit: Double posting all over the place! Wooo.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alistercat

@captaintightpants: @slaegar: It seems all XLs come with 4GB cards, but that won't really do it. I looked in to another solution. I have a 32GB MicroSD so I bought a super cheap adapter and apparently that works so I should be sorted for storage. Maybe. I'm dubious about these cheap solutions working out.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: Should be fine as long as the adapter doesn't hamper read/write speeds too heavily. I think the 3DS only needs a Class 6 SD card to function well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.