Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

First Experiences in the Third Dimension

sooperjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By sooperjoe

So the 3DS is pretty cool.  It doesn't seem like the ground-breaking technological achievement that it has been portrayed as at times, but I can see how it could make for some pretty unique game mechanics.  The 3D doesn't really add that level of "pop" that I was anticipating, but it does give a much better sense of depth-of-field, especially given the smaller screen real estate of a portable system.  It certainly has a lot of promise as a platform, even if we cut the brand on the bottom out of the equation.  I'm pretty disappointed with the launch lineup, and equally disappointed that Nintendo felt that it was acceptable to use its position and past success as a means to clear out initial stock without any real software to back the platform.  The only thing I was really looking forward to with the 3DS was the opportunity to revisit some of the classics with A WHOLE NEW DIMENSION, but now that I have had the opportunity to experience the technology for a good amount of time, I'm pretty excited to see what new concepts people will be able to do with this platform. 

Currently I have SSF4 and Rayman, but I've only really been playing SF so far.  I might do an actual review of the 3DS or some games if I have some free time, but that probably won't happen.

Sidenote:  Screen protectors fucking BLOW

sooperjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sooperjoe

So the 3DS is pretty cool.  It doesn't seem like the ground-breaking technological achievement that it has been portrayed as at times, but I can see how it could make for some pretty unique game mechanics.  The 3D doesn't really add that level of "pop" that I was anticipating, but it does give a much better sense of depth-of-field, especially given the smaller screen real estate of a portable system.  It certainly has a lot of promise as a platform, even if we cut the brand on the bottom out of the equation.  I'm pretty disappointed with the launch lineup, and equally disappointed that Nintendo felt that it was acceptable to use its position and past success as a means to clear out initial stock without any real software to back the platform.  The only thing I was really looking forward to with the 3DS was the opportunity to revisit some of the classics with A WHOLE NEW DIMENSION, but now that I have had the opportunity to experience the technology for a good amount of time, I'm pretty excited to see what new concepts people will be able to do with this platform. 

Currently I have SSF4 and Rayman, but I've only really been playing SF so far.  I might do an actual review of the 3DS or some games if I have some free time, but that probably won't happen.

Sidenote:  Screen protectors fucking BLOW

Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Lev

I think the reason there isn't much of a "pop" that people might expect is because nothing actually pops up  - they really twist the marketing with some of the videos where they show things jumping off the screen. As it really works, the closest plane to you is the screen itself, and all the other dimensions are BEHIND the surface pane.. so if anything, things just pop under, which is quite different than how they pitch it. Nonetheless, I still dig the 3d effect and am quite satisfied with what it delivers in terms of 3d versus what I was expecting.

Why do you say that about screen-protectors...? I know it wasn't the focus of your thread here but I am really curious. Did you notice any degradation in the quality of the 3D effect with one over that screen? I actually bought the screen protectors for the 3DS when it launched last Friday (we got it in Europe a couple days earlier)... Anyhow, I have found myself really reluctant to even attempting to putting it on. I think I'm starting to hate screen protectors too. I started using them a few years ago (DS, PSP, iPhone, desire, etc..) and I always tend to find that the screen looks uglier with the protector on then it would with it off and a few scratches. It's damn near impossible to avoid bubbles, and even if you can avoid any big ones, there is often a speck or two of dust that gets under, or the protector doesn't line up properly. grrrr... /rant

sooperjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sooperjoe

Yeah I didn't really pay attention to any of the reviews and such before I purchased it, I wasn't even expecting to use it until all the remakes started coming out (which isn't even until like June now).  The 3D effect certainly isn't disappointing, it's just different than what I had been expecting from the ads. 

So I got one of the accessory pack things from Amazon at the same time I pre-ordered the 3DS.  It came with 2 sets of screen protectors.  I got one on the bottom screen without a problem but I ended up ruining both of the ones meant for the top screen.  There comes a point when they aren't even screen protectors anymore when they cover the entire top face with only holes for the speakers.  Not sure why that decision was made but it made the installation process a pain in the ass so I just gave up and settled for the protector just on the bottom screen after both of the top screen ones got covered in dust.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.