Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Get out you big boy pants: New 3DS XL - what are your purchase intentions?

• 52 results
    Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contrarian

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Contrarian
    No Caption Provided

Finally we have a 3DS in the XL format and hell, it is even bigger than the DSiXL with nearly 5" screen on top for 3D in all its glory. It will be launched August 17 at $199US I believe. It also increases the battery life slightly.

The biggest gripe is that it doesn't have a 2nd analogue stick, which will aggravate many gamers. Let's be fair, an extra stick like the 3DS will make this thing bigger than an iPad (probably not). Will that be a major thought in your purchase intent?

I am in. I love this. I will get one straight away and can't wait to play on the big screen, like the DSiXL. Some games will benefit greatly from this, where some aspects of games are hard to see due to the small screen. Of course, some games could look worse due to "stretching" them, but I never found that a problem on the DSiXL.

So get out your big boy pants, you will need them if you are buying a 3DS XL.

What will you all do? I think my choices for answers covers most bases.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cloudenvy

I don't have one and I still don't care!

I'm just waiting for Nintendo to show something I'd be interested in! anything will do!

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Contrarian

@Cloudenvy said:

I don't have one and I still don't care!

I'm just waiting for Nintendo to show something I'd be interested in! anything will do!

And what is it from Nintendo that would float your boat?

DemBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DemBones

@Cloudenvy said:

I'm just waiting for Nintendo to show something I'd be interested in!

I feel the same way.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

I already have the standard size model and I'm fine with it. I have no need for the XL.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Contrarian: I don't know, honestly.

A 2D Metroid would be neat, a new The World Ends With You, I guess..I don't know! but nothing they've shown so far has made me go "Man, I need to go buy a 3DS"

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Contrarian

@Cloudenvy said:

@Contrarian: I don't know, honestly.

A 2D Metroid would be neat, a new The World Ends With You, I guess..I don't know! but nothing they've shown so far has made me go "Man, I need to go buy a 3DS"

Outside of Mario Kart (Mario platformers don't do it for me), I have felt pretty much the same way. I am still waiting for games I am genuinely enthused about. One of those you mentioned is 3rd party, so we can only hope the big developers start doing something interesting as well - interesting being a very subjective view. I think Nintendo squibbed on Mario Tennis and everything else appears to be a port. Fire Emblem is the biggest title I am looking forward to, along with Super Smash Bros, but I am confidant more games I love than I have time to play will eventually appear.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By TruthTellah

I'm still waiting for a real redesign with analog sticks. Or pads. Just, something. The DS was great without them, as most of the games were still 2D in nature, but with the 3DS, I want 3D content. And after my experiences with one-nub gaming on the PSP, I just desperately want two sticks or pads. If we can get some 3D RPGs on the 3DS similar to some of the great ones on the Wii, I'd be happy. Right now, it looks like some of those games may be coming in 2013, and I'll be considering a purchase then. But, for the moment, I just feel like I can get most of these experiences on my DS. And for their current 3D offerings, I feel like I can get those on my PSP. For the 3DS, if it had two sticks or pads, it would offer the approximate functionality of something more like a Vita but with the great dual screens, clamshell design, and fantastic Nintendo properties. With just a few tweaks, I feel like the 3DS could be twice the platform it already is.

Though, that being said, it still comes down to the games. If the games can be designed for the platform and not just seem like ports, I'll be much more interested. I want unique gaming experiences, and paying for a 3DS that currently doesn't offer much more than what I already have just doesn't sound great to me. I -want- to be excited though. Hopefully soon they can prove me wrong and find a way to really get back on track.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Contrarian: For sure, good games will come eventually. This just reminds me of the early days of the DS more than anything.

I've never been into Fire Emblem, but I guess that's sort of a huge game? I'll probably just pick it up at the end of its life cycle when all the great stuff is already out.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bane122

This is exactly the 3DS I've been waiting for. After having a DSiXL, there was no way I was going back to a smaller unit. Lack of a second analog stick doesn't bother me as I'm not interested in playing mini console games on my portables.

My only disappointment is it won't be available in that sexy purple the 3DS was recently put out in.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uhtaree

Was initially intrigued, but the thing is kinda ugly and the colors are uninspired. I'll wait to get the 2 analog slider variety, it's got to be the next iteration, right? How long could that be, next March? People like Jeff are saying you don't need 2 analog sticks for most games, yeah okay, but you need it for some. That limits the library that I can choose from because I'm not using a Frankenstick, and certainly not a Frankenstick for the XL, that would be comically oversized. It will be a pretty robust library when the finally release the version with 2 analog sliders.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By egg

I actually was tempted by DSi XL for Flipnote.

But now this is even better than DSi XL, right? Or is it? which has bigger screen and is the 3DS Flipnote the better app?

I think I am not likely to get this because I already have a DSi, but I still want to know.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikeGosot

Where's the "I am poor" option? D:

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Contrarian

@MikeGosot said:

That one would very popular with most Americans I am guessing. Just make friends with Mitt Romney, I am sure he has that kind of money. Sorry for your plight man. I have always been comfortably well off, even as a child, and I don't care for a day where that may change.

I just purchased my second 3DS, the purple one, NTSC to go with my black PAL one, so getting a 3rd so quickly after is kind of hard to justify, but hey, we can all justify whatever we like right? It will launch very shortly prior to my birthday - justification found.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By rjayb89

I'll get one when games like Picross and Professor Layton are out, so my intentions remain the same. Whichever version 3DS I get will likely be the smallest one at the time I pull the trigger.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel

@rjayb89 said:

I'll get one when games like Picross and Professor Layton are out, so my intentions remain the same. Whichever version 3DS I get will likely be the smallest one at the time I pull the trigger.

Well, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask comes out later this year, so there you go.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Contrarian said:

@MikeGosot said:

That one would very popular with most Americans I am guessing. Just make friends with Mitt Romney, I am sure he has that kind of money. Sorry for your plight man. I have always been comfortably well off, even as a child, and I don't care for a day where that may change.

I just purchased my second 3DS, the purple one, NTSC to go with my black PAL one, so getting a 3rd so quickly after is kind of hard to justify, but hey, we can all justify whatever we like right? It will launch very shortly prior to my birthday - justification found.

Hey, if you got the money, who can blame you for spending it? Also, i'm American, but i'm not a US citizen. I'm from South America.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By musubi

Honestly nothing I'd care to play on 3DS. Also, this seems kinda dumb because now you couldn't even use the 2nd thumbstick attachment even if you wanted to.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Cloudenvy: They just announced Super Metroid X The World Ends With You.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MariachiMacabre: SOLD!

EDIT: To be fair, Project X Zone does sound pretty neat! it's just not really worth buying a handheld for.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Contrarian

@Demoskinos said:

Honestly nothing I'd care to play on 3DS. Also, this seems kinda dumb because now you couldn't even use the 2nd thumbstick attachment even if you wanted to.

I understand a new one for the XL will be available - going to make it one big mother of a handheld.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#23  Edited By BeachThunder

Where's the "I have a 3DS and might possibly get a 3DS XL" option D:? Also, I don't really give a shit about double circle pads.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By musubi

@Contrarian said:

@Demoskinos said:

I understand a new one for the XL will be available - going to make it one big mother of a handheld.

Jesus H Christ. I don't even want to imagine the full size.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bishna

I kind of really want one but I just got my 3DS a few months ago, so I think I will wait. Unless Gamestop has some crazy trade in deal.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zekhariah

This mostly hinges on the Wii U.

I'm planning on getting a WiiU (unless Nintendo is crazy and wants to charge a lot for an x360 w/ 3hr battery resistive tablet). If I can play download type games and virtual console on the 3DS XL, I'll probably go for it. In some ways it is more appealing than the full console, since it will probably have a better software library over its life than the WIiU.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Contrarian

@BeachThunder said:

Where's the "I have a 3DS and might possibly get a 3DS XL" option D:? Also, I don't really give a shit about double circle pads.

I don't really care about the 2 circle pads either to be honest, but it just seems a smart move. No effect on my decision making though.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mandude

The constant stream of handheld consoles and updated versions of aforementioned consoles from Nintendo makes me not want to buy any of them.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By dethfish

Good god, that thing looks huge.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By _Zombie_

I didn't buy a 3DS the first time, don't see why I'd buy one now.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By s-a-n-JR

There's barely any support for the analog addon and I doubt that'll change much any time soon. Any continued support for it will purely be as an optional feature, as developers don't want to segregate the market by building games around a second analog. For that same reason, you won't see Nintendo releasing a 3DS with a built in second analog any time soon.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Hizang

I will only get this once I know how much worse games will look on it, due to its larger size the games will not look as good as they do on my current 3DS. The lack of a analog stick doesn't bother me because no games coming up support that aside from a Monster Hunter game that nobody outside of Japan has interest in.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Vexxan

I don't have a 3DS but this is making me much more likely to buy one, loved the original DSi XL.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Contrarian

@Vexxan said:

I don't have a 3DS but this is making me much more likely to buy one, loved the original DSi XL.

My DSiXL is still played wayyyy more than my 3DS and not just for the games ....well mostly because of the games. I just think having a bigger screen is on its own a big drawcard to playing many of the games.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Ace829

@Hailinel said:

@rjayb89 said:

Well, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask comes out later this year, so there you go.

And Mario's Picross is out on the eShop VC.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By YoungFrey

I just imported a Japanese one, and this update isn't anything I need. So it's actually a relief. This means I won't have to buy a two-stick one for quite awhile (if ever).

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Vextroid

I'm fine with my current 3DS.

The XL looks a little ugly to me. Like a WiiU controller with a second screen. Also I can see 3D fine but I get a bit of ghosting unless I tilt just righ and even then it's iffy. I can't imagine trying to focus on a screen that big with out holding far far away from my face.

Chroma_Auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By Chroma_Auron

I will defiantly want to get this version of the 3DS. I don't take my portables in my pocket so I don't mind the size.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By vaiz

I fucking hate everything. While the circle pad isn't widely used or loved, it's really a bum deal that Nintendo turns around and puts out a 3DS redesign that will require a new pad if people still want to play certain 3DS games without those games totally sucking. There's literally no reason for them not to have just built the second nub in this model, except in the hopes to suck cash out of people with a new circle pad pro XL.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Contrarian

@Chroma_Auron said:

I will defiantly want to get this version of the 3DS. I don't take my portables in my pocket so I don't mind the size.

I just wear normal jeans most of the time, not those stovepipe types the hipsters or emos wear (I am just guessing that) and I never have a problem with the DSiXL fitting in them. Is it just because everyone sems to love these tight pants now that are the problem? I am fine with the size of it on outings, despite the fact that 95% of my gaming time on the handheld is in the home - most on the toilet!

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Turambar

I'll probably buy one when Fire Emblem: Awakening comes out.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Contrarian

@Turambar said:

I'll probably buy one when Fire Emblem: Awakening comes out.

I like you.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Toxeia

Don't have one, still don't care. Do care that Nintendo hasn't added a second analog stick. What's with their inability to adapt to things? Now that they aren't leading the pack it seems like they're just driving everything into the ground.

And no... not just talking about analog sticks :(

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By strainedeyes

I used a DSiXL for a little bit for work, can't say I enjoyed how big it was.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I'm going to play New Super Mario Bros when it comes out and if my hand starts to cramp up then i'll go straight to the store and by an XL. My "larger" hands are not the biggest fan of the 3ds. The vita isn't that comfortable either thought.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MoseSSesoM

Don't have one, don't want one.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I kind-of want to get it but I already have a 3DS. I think the size of the XL is great especially when I consider that I don't really play my 3DS unless I'm at home or in a hotel room. I might pick it up down the line or if Gamestop has a good trade-in deal.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Toxeia said:

Don't have one, still don't care. Do care that Nintendo hasn't added a second analog stick. What's with their inability to adapt to things? Now that they aren't leading the pack it seems like they're just driving everything into the ground.

And no... not just talking about analog sticks :(

I am as well in the don't have one, don't care pack. Thinking about it though, Nintendo boned themselves releasing the 3DS with just one analog stick at launch and now they're kind of committed to that. I think it's going to be like the classic controller for the Wii where the majority of games won't even support it. If they had released the 3DS XL with a second analog stick, we would probably get a lot more developers developing games with two analog sticks in mind, alienating the original 3DS owners. I'm sure they'll drop a 3DS with two sticks in a year or two, but I don't think they want people to feel like their original purchase was a waste this soon.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#49  Edited By ManMadeGod

@Contrarian said:

@MikeGosot said:

Why would that be popular with most Americans?

As for the topic question: my DS backlog is still too big to justify a 3DS purchase. One day........

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By JTB123

E. I can't see myself ever owning one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.