Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Getting a 3DS? Worth it?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I think the 3DS is well worth it. There are some solid games out for it right now plus you can still play DS games on it. I bet you can get the DS Zelda games, Golden Sun, and DQ Monsters for dirt cheap now. You can completely turn off the 3D and it makes the games run smoother. Also, go for the 3DS XL. It is better in every way possible. The only draw back is the speakers arn't as loud ad the original 3DS.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Tireyo

@JJOR64 said:

I think the 3DS is well worth it. There are some solid games out for it right now plus you can still play DS games on it. I bet you can get the DS Zelda games, Golden Sun, and DQ Monsters for dirt cheap now. You can completely turn off the 3D and it makes the games run smoother. Also, go for the 3DS XL. It is better in every way possible. The only draw back is the speakers arn't as loud ad the original 3DS.

I miss the good speakers. I wonder why they made them softer.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

Go with the 3DS, you can keep the 3D off and there are already some great games out there with more sure to come. You can keep busy by playing DS games in the meantime.

@JJOR64 said:

Also the other downside, depending on how sensitive you are to lack of pixel density, the blown up resolution on that screen isn't as great as a regular 3DS. Only plus side for me would be the better battery.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It's definitely worth it.

for one, you'll have access to the original DS library which is full of 5-star titles. Also the 3DS has plenty of great titles already available, with more coming in the future (Fire Emblem oh boy).

so yeah. Go for it pal.

generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By generic_ninja

Your pretty much in luck if you want to be getting into RPG's next monday (Feb 4) Fire Emblem: Awakening comes out and from the reviews on other sites as well as just very simple impressions from the I Love Mondays this week it is one of the best 3DS games to have come out for the portable system, Fire Emblem is a perfect game that you can pick up and put down but it also takes alot of time to get invested into, Zelda is the exact same way where it can take you 20+ hours but if RPG's are your thing then right now is the perfect time for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

What's with everyone deciding they want a 3DS today?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By morningstar

Fire emblem.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Snail

Why do people keep asking this question? Yes it's obviously worth it!

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Solh0und

Any good 3DS gems that I should consider picking up? I'm also considering picking one up as well.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By BrittonPeele

Two must-have 3DS games, IMO, are Fire Emblem and Super Mario 3D Land.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@MattGrant: Go with the 3ds, they've been adding some really great games on the online network like crashmo and pushmo.

Smuglittleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Smuglittleman

The 3DS XL Mario Kart 7 bundle I bought from newegg.com on Jan 31st was just delivered today! I was on the fence about picking a 3DS up but so far I am having a blast with it!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#15  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I enjoy my 3DS. There aren't tons of games for it but a few of the exclusives (both retail and e-shop) are great and I think it's a cool piece of hardware.

BamurDeadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got my 3DS yesterday and was pretty darn impressed! Was afraid I was gonna miss HD Gaming but I didn't so much! Got it with Zelda and Mario Kart and both are absolute blasts to play!

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

My 3DS XL should arrive any time now! I'm pretty excited, seems like I'll have a lot of good stuff to keep me going until Pokémon X and Y in October.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Is it worth picking up the XL or should one go with the regular? Any thoughts on when Nintendo will update the 3DS model?!

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I've been thinking of picking up one myself. Nintendo has done a remarkable job turning this thing around. So to answer OP's question I would say yes it's worth it.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By JoeyRavn

@reckless_x said:

Is it worth picking up the XL or should one go with the regular? Any thoughts on when Nintendo will update the 3DS model?!

The XL is much, much better than the regular 3DS. Get that one.

Are you're asking what are my thoughts on Nintendo releasing a new 3DS model? I hope never, because the 3DS XL is fine as it is. The improvements they can make to it are not going to be as huge as going from a DS to DSL or DSL to DSi (XL), or even 3DS to XL, so they're better just making a new handheld at that point.

If you're asking if there are any rumors about a redesign, I don't think so.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By reckless_x

@joeyravn: I assumed so! Just wanted to make sure there hasn't been anything I've missed. I appreciate the response!

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently picked up the XL (the pink/white one, which is the best looking one in my opinion) rather than regular 3DS and am loving it so far (although I have no games because I bought it for MH3U, which isn't out yet). In terms of screen size, it's just about perfect for me since my eyesight is awful. The size of the system itself is also great for me since I have large hands (I don't think I could comfortably use a smaller system). I've heard people say that you can't carry the XL in your pocket, but it just makes me wonder what kind of pants they're wearing. Yeah, the pockets on my "slim fit" jeans, or whatever they are, are a bit too shallow for the system, but the pockets on my regular jeans can hold it just fine. I probably looks weird, but whatever.

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who just picked up the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle, what makes the XL the more popular choice? I always thought the bigger screen with the same resolution would kill it for me, so I opted for the original size, though getting a game bundled in helped. (I don't think they had any other bundles in stock where I bought mine.)

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

@theqman121: May not be a deal breaker for you, but original DS games look better on the XL than the 3DS.

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apathylad: That seems strange, but that's really good to know. I don't play a whole lot of my DS games, so hopefully I can deal with it. I haven't actually put a DS game in yet to see.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you like JRPGs, yes, if you like a regularly support handheld, no.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.