Getting a 3DS? Worth it?

#1 Posted by MattGrant (122 posts) -

Been thinking of picking up a 3DS, but I have some reservations. First and foremost is that 3D is anathema to my senses, it really efts me up. Can I turn it off without consequence to graphics or performance on the 3DS? My other concern is game related. I am really interested in playing handheld Zelda games and RPGs such as Golden Sun and Dragon Quest Monsters. Are these games any good/are they, in addition to the promise of further games of the like, worth buying the console? If not, would I be better off with a regular DS? ...or should I just skip the handheld altogether? Money's not an issue, my time is. So, yeah! First post here, too. Also, sorry for the formatting. Had to type this out on a tablet.

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

I think the 3DS is well worth it. There are some solid games out for it right now plus you can still play DS games on it. I bet you can get the DS Zelda games, Golden Sun, and DQ Monsters for dirt cheap now. You can completely turn off the 3D and it makes the games run smoother. Also, go for the 3DS XL. It is better in every way possible. The only draw back is the speakers arn't as loud ad the original 3DS.

#3 Posted by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

I think the 3DS is well worth it. There are some solid games out for it right now plus you can still play DS games on it. I bet you can get the DS Zelda games, Golden Sun, and DQ Monsters for dirt cheap now. You can completely turn off the 3D and it makes the games run smoother. Also, go for the 3DS XL. It is better in every way possible. The only draw back is the speakers arn't as loud ad the original 3DS.

I miss the good speakers. I wonder why they made them softer.

#4 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4486 posts) -

Go with the 3DS, you can keep the 3D off and there are already some great games out there with more sure to come. You can keep busy by playing DS games in the meantime.

@JJOR64 said:

Also the other downside, depending on how sensitive you are to lack of pixel density, the blown up resolution on that screen isn't as great as a regular 3DS. Only plus side for me would be the better battery.

#5 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

It's definitely worth it.

for one, you'll have access to the original DS library which is full of 5-star titles. Also the 3DS has plenty of great titles already available, with more coming in the future (Fire Emblem oh boy).

so yeah. Go for it pal.

#6 Posted by Generic_Ninja (131 posts) -

Your pretty much in luck if you want to be getting into RPG's next monday (Feb 4) Fire Emblem: Awakening comes out and from the reviews on other sites as well as just very simple impressions from the I Love Mondays this week it is one of the best 3DS games to have come out for the portable system, Fire Emblem is a perfect game that you can pick up and put down but it also takes alot of time to get invested into, Zelda is the exact same way where it can take you 20+ hours but if RPG's are your thing then right now is the perfect time for it.

#7 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2609 posts) -

What's with everyone deciding they want a 3DS today?

#8 Posted by MattGrant (122 posts) -

Thanks for the replies so far, I just might go out to get it today. On that note, should I pick up Ocarina? I want to play the game again and Brad's review made it sound like the definitive version. That said, I already have Ocarina on my Wii from the virtual console. Should I stick with what I have?

#9 Posted by Morningstar (2238 posts) -

Fire emblem.

#10 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

Why do people keep asking this question? Yes it's obviously worth it!

#11 Posted by Solh0und (1849 posts) -

Any good 3DS gems that I should consider picking up? I'm also considering picking one up as well.

#12 Posted by Sargus (732 posts) -

Two must-have 3DS games, IMO, are Fire Emblem and Super Mario 3D Land.

#13 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3799 posts) -

@MattGrant: Go with the 3ds, they've been adding some really great games on the online network like crashmo and pushmo.

#14 Posted by Smuglittleman (60 posts) -

The 3DS XL Mario Kart 7 bundle I bought from newegg.com on Jan 31st was just delivered today! I was on the fence about picking a 3DS up but so far I am having a blast with it!

#15 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (959 posts) -

I enjoy my 3DS. There aren't tons of games for it but a few of the exclusives (both retail and e-shop) are great and I think it's a cool piece of hardware.

#16 Posted by BamurDeadd (59 posts) -

Just got my 3DS yesterday and was pretty darn impressed! Was afraid I was gonna miss HD Gaming but I didn't so much! Got it with Zelda and Mario Kart and both are absolute blasts to play!

#17 Posted by Soap (3640 posts) -

My 3DS XL should arrive any time now! I'm pretty excited, seems like I'll have a lot of good stuff to keep me going until Pokémon X and Y in October.

#18 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (461 posts) -

Is it worth picking up the XL or should one go with the regular? Any thoughts on when Nintendo will update the 3DS model?!

#19 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I've been thinking of picking up one myself. Nintendo has done a remarkable job turning this thing around. So to answer OP's question I would say yes it's worth it.

#20 Posted by elko84 (1113 posts) -

yes

#21 Edited by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

@reckless_x said:

Is it worth picking up the XL or should one go with the regular? Any thoughts on when Nintendo will update the 3DS model?!

The XL is much, much better than the regular 3DS. Get that one.

Are you're asking what are my thoughts on Nintendo releasing a new 3DS model? I hope never, because the 3DS XL is fine as it is. The improvements they can make to it are not going to be as huge as going from a DS to DSL or DSL to DSi (XL), or even 3DS to XL, so they're better just making a new handheld at that point.

If you're asking if there are any rumors about a redesign, I don't think so.

#22 Edited by ReCkLeSs_X (461 posts) -

@joeyravn: I assumed so! Just wanted to make sure there hasn't been anything I've missed. I appreciate the response!

#23 Posted by Skyrider (380 posts) -

I recently picked up the XL (the pink/white one, which is the best looking one in my opinion) rather than regular 3DS and am loving it so far (although I have no games because I bought it for MH3U, which isn't out yet). In terms of screen size, it's just about perfect for me since my eyesight is awful. The size of the system itself is also great for me since I have large hands (I don't think I could comfortably use a smaller system). I've heard people say that you can't carry the XL in your pocket, but it just makes me wonder what kind of pants they're wearing. Yeah, the pockets on my "slim fit" jeans, or whatever they are, are a bit too shallow for the system, but the pockets on my regular jeans can hold it just fine. I probably looks weird, but whatever.

#24 Posted by theQman121 (83 posts) -

As someone who just picked up the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle, what makes the XL the more popular choice? I always thought the bigger screen with the same resolution would kill it for me, so I opted for the original size, though getting a game bundled in helped. (I don't think they had any other bundles in stock where I bought mine.)

#25 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

@theqman121: May not be a deal breaker for you, but original DS games look better on the XL than the 3DS.

#26 Posted by theQman121 (83 posts) -

@apathylad: That seems strange, but that's really good to know. I don't play a whole lot of my DS games, so hopefully I can deal with it. I haven't actually put a DS game in yet to see.

#27 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

If you like JRPGs, yes, if you like a regularly support handheld, no.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.