Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Getting nephew a 3DS, essential games I should get him?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hey everyone! My nephew is 13 years old, and while being an avid video game player, has never touched a handheld (Beyond his phone, I guess. Which shouldn't really count!). I figured I'd pick up a 3DS XL this holiday for him, as I'm expecting it'll be quite cheap with the holiday sales. I have a 3DS, and while I know some of the games I enjoy include Fire Emblem, Smash Bros and Pokemon, I cannot think of many more essential games. (Maybe Monster Hunter? How is that without the Circle Pad Pro?)

The 3DS library has to be more vast than I currently remember, so I'm asking for your help! Throw suggestions at me. Any suggestion! This kid plays any type of game/genre. What are the "Must play" games for the 3DS in your opinion? I'd like to pair the gift with 6-10 games.

Oh, and for those that suggest I wait to get him the New 3DS... It's for Christmas, and a main sticking point for buying the system is the likelihood of a sale sometime before Christmas making it a cheap, yet awesome gift.

Thanks in advance.

epstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By epstein

A couple games I would recommend that you didn't already name would be Luigi's mansion, Super Mario 3D land, and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

mrburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mrburger

I'll second Fire Emblem and Zelda: LBW. The others mentioned are all very good, but those two in particular are personal favorites. Mm, those two and Animal Crossing. And okay Mario 3D Land was incredible. Oh and if you're going with a Pokemon game, might as well wait a sec and get him Omega Ruby. Ruby not Sapphire. Groudon, not Kyogre. It's a no-brainer. If your nephew doesn't love Groudon, then he doesn't deserve to have you as an uncle.

Might I also add that Smash Bros, while supremely fun, also inevitably broke my circle pad? I wasn't playing too vigorously when it crackled off, the thing was just wafer thin and not built to withstand so much cumulative stress. If you get him Smash, warn him of the peril. In remembrance of me.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epstein: @mrburger: Ah. Link Between Worlds is a no brainer. Luigi's Mansion is probably good and Mario is always a safe bet. I remember loving those.

Omega Ruby for sure. Whales are lame.

I'll warn him about smash! I've seen tons of people talking about the death of the circle pad! Hasn't happened to me but I'll warn him.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Monster Hunter 3 without the CPP works just fine for me. You can also map the d-pad into the touch screen. And really, the younger you are the more likely you're willing to put up with stuff like that. The issue with Monster Hunter mostly is whether his friends also have the game. Monster Hunter 4 is also coming out pretty soon.

Mario & Luigi, Layton vs. Wright, Shovel Knight are also must-plays depending on your taste. And don't forget that DS games like Trauma Center, Rhythm Heaven, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow are still playable on the 3DS!

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: Totally forgot about the DS games. Awesome. Rhythm Heaven is amazing.

kidzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a 3DS, but you could also give him some eShop gift cards in addition to the games.

LiquidElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. resident evil revelations? (might be too young, who knows) rhythm thief. mario and luigi dream team. just a few that stand out and haven't been mentioned. also every child should be put through the torment that is the water temple in ocarina of time...

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

13? See if he likes Pokemon. I'd get him X or Y. Then essentials like Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, and Mario 3D Land and maybe Super Smash Bros. and you're set for a while. I've played 100 hours of Animal Crossing myself, but I'm not sure what he'd most be into.

Those are seriously the best though for that age and for the system. Theatrhythm, Mario & Luigi, Resident Evil, Fire Emblem...a lot of those are games that just aren't as appealing necessarily right off the bat, even if they're good.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By TechHits

I know you said pokemon, but I just wanna throw pokemon out there again. Pokemon is really good.

1) If he doesn't have a wiiU Mario Kart is really good.

2) The 3ds Zelda is awesome, very much worth having.

3) Almost everyone I know who has a 3ds has Animal crossing, it's a really good game. However I donno if it's cool enough for a 13 year old. I know I probably wouldn't have played it when I was 13. Same goes for tomadachi life.

4) Theatrhythm, but only if he already likes final fantasy. That game wouldn't be nearly as fun if you didn't know the songs going in.

Other than that the games you mentioned make up a solid library

Ps. pair it with 6 -10 games?! That's insane, you're insane.... insanely awesome, but seriously seek help.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he likes RPGs and can handle mature subject matter (I don't mean nudity and stuff, just... heavy stuff), then Shin Megami Tensei IV is a great game.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Corevi
    @ttthrasher said:

If he likes RPGs and can handle mature subject matter (I don't mean nudity and stuff, just... heavy stuff), then Shin Megami Tensei IV is a great game.

There is nudity in SMT4. There are multiple demons that are just huge dongs. It's an awesome game though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1eff447c9e5
    deactivated-5c1eff447c9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SMT IV is great, but yeah, the subject matter and questionable designs for demons would probably be too much for a 13 year old. At least, it wouldn't be something that I'd give a kid that wasn't my own.

Eshop gift cards are an easy recommendation since he can grab multiple games of his choosing that way. Kirby Triple Deluxe is a pretty simple platformer, but its still fun and the attention to detail make it a pretty memorable experience. And if he's never played it, the Ocarina of Time remake for the 3DS is a good update of a classic.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By biggiedubs

There's quite a lot of stuff on the eShop, if you don't mind pre-loading some stuff for him.

Attack of the Friday Monsters on the eShop is fantastic, and probably perfect for someone his age. Mutant Mudds is pretty good on the eShop as well, as well as the usual suspects of Pushmo / Crashmo.

Any of the Professor Layton's are probably good too (though vs Phoenix Wright is a bit boring in my opinion).

The Inazuma Eleven games are also pretty great, if he's interested in soccer/football/sports games

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Must owns:

Super Mario Land 3D

LOZ: A Link Between Worlds and Ocarina of Time

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Luigi's Mansion

Kirby Triple Deluxe

Bravely Default

Mario Golf

Mario Kart 7

Latest Pokemon

Donkey Kong Country Returns

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

My favorites:

And if you can figure out a way to get eShop games on there (or just get them for him after he opens it):

Also while I haven't played MH on the 3DS, I found the old games perfectly playable on the PSP without the second analog stick. That said, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate should be coming out early next year so it might be worth waiting for that.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

All the pokemons. All the zeldas. Maybe some e-shop credit to buy some virtual console games if he is in to 'retro' games.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gerrid

definitely Attack of the Friday Monsters

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Brendan

If he wants to sink his teeth into a long JRPG, then Bravely Default would be a good choice (also with the new 3DS he could get Xenoblade Chronicles just sayin').

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@brendan said:

If he wants to sink his teeth into a long JRPG, then Bravely Default would be a good choice (also with the new 3DS he could get Xenoblade Chronicles just sayin').

Unless he lives in Japan the new 3DS isn't coming Stateside or to Europe for quite sometime.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Zelda and Pokemon are a must. I'm 16 and love those haha.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario 3 is on virtual console. For like $5 I think too.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would love Link Between Worlds and Fire Emblem Awakening.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaptainCody

Fantasy life! It's like Monster Hunter but actually good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.