Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Good Story Based Games?

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A solid story is one of the core features that I look for in most of the games that I choose to play. What 3DS/DS games are good in that regard? Some examples of games that I enjoyed on the DS include the Phoenix Wright series and The World Ends with You.

Thanks!

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By abendlaender

Kid Icarus has a surprisingly awesome story, too bad that the gameplay is rather "meh". Of course there is always Prof. Layton. Fire Emblem has a pretty decent story too other than that I can't really think of a game. Maybe Paper Mario but I haven't played it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

999 and Virtue's Last Reward.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

Not a 3DS game, but I have heard good things about Radiant Historia. I haven't played it myself, but I am thinking of picking it up soon.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@abendlaender: Paper Mario Sticker Star's story is slim-to-nonexistent, unfortunately. It's a departure compared to the rest of the series.

Crimson Shroud's story isn't very long, but it is told in an interesting fashion. Patrick raves and raves about VLR (and 999 on DS), so maybe those are alright. I feel like the good story train on 3DS hasn't quite reached the station yet for whatever reason, and there haven't been a ton of RPGs outside of Fire Emblem and dungeon crawlers. Nothing on par with Ghost Trick yet.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@abendlaender: Paper Mario Sticker Star's story is slim-to-nonexistent, unfortunately. It's a departure compared to the rest of the series.

Hmm...that's a shame. The Paper Mario games always had a pretty great goofy story. Hopefully the Mario&Luigi that comes out next month will be better

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I haven't finished it yet but Fire Emblem Awakening's story has, thus far, been pretty good. Not award winning stuff but at least it's making me take some interest in what's going on and not glossing over during cutscenes.

If you have no qualms with going back to the DS, then Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey's story seems all right as well, if not a bit overwritten. There's also Chrono Trigger, if you haven't already played through that incredible piece of gaming history yet. And I've heard nothing but praise for Radiant Historia.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder

@bisonhero said:

Hmm...that's a shame. The Paper Mario games always had a pretty great goofy story. Hopefully the Mario&Luigi that comes out next month will be better

Just as long as it doesn't contain any leet speak =|

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fire Emblem is very story focused. I'd argue that the story itself is pretty terrible, but there is a good emphasis on the character interaction and if you're looking for something like that, you can probably look past some of the stupidity and cheesyness.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

1. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
    2. Fire Emblem: Awakening
    3. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
    4. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
    5. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
    6. Radiant Historia

Would be the ones I can recommend off the top of my head. (assuming you have already played Apollo Justice in prep for Phoenix Wright 5 - cos you tooootally should - the Edgeworth games are optional)

ED: Of those, Ghost Trick is my number 1 recommendation with a bullet. Fire emblem I think the enjoyment is more in the gameplay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.