Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Goodbye Sony Vita, Hello (Again) Nintendo

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By JBG4

Well, I thought I would try something different. The 3DS arrived and I decided to hold off making a purchase of the system because the launch lineup was really lackluster, and, the Vita had been announced and had really grabbed my attention. I own a ton of consoles, from current generation to a 2600, the DS was just one of them. It was one that I played fairly often and really enjoyed my time with, I purchased a DS in 2007 and found a ton of games that I could dive right into. I play quite a few RPG's and the DS was my go to platform for that particular type of game.

As last year rolled along I would get more and more tempted to just go ahead and get a 3DS, but I'm older now, in my mid 20's I am finding that I have less and less time for any kind of gaming. The handheld variety is no exception. However, I had already made my mind up that I was going to get a Vita, so I waited until launch day and even though I second guessed myself a little bit I went ahead and bought one from Amazon. When I got it home I picked up a few games and began playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss , Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational , Little Deviants , and ModNation Racers: Road Trip .

After just a couple of days I started to realize that I really don't need a platform that I can play the games that I can play on my large, very nice, television. So, I contacted Amazon and returned the Vita. My refund just came through and without hesitation I snatched up a 3DS with Super Mario 3D Land and Resident Evil: Revelations. I know that I will play a ton of the 3DS because of the joy that my DS brought me, my wife has since inherited the DS, she is a Mario fan who is a casual gamer at best who rarely plays anything but when she does she usually goes for the Nintendo platform, and then something occurred to me. It is something that everyone who regularly visits gaming sites has thought of before, but for me, it just hit me. This is what Nintendo does, it appeals to everyone. Everyone. That is the reason that I keep going back to Nintendo platforms, it's the reason that I just bought a 3DS, the reason I have a Wii, and the reason that when it releases I will buy a WiiU. They just know how to market and develop games and products so all people want whatever they're selling. This isn't something that I have against them, I have gotten so much enjoyment out of Nintendo products and I will continue to do so for years.

This isn't a love letter to Nintendo, it's just a man have a revelation about something that keeps pulling him back in. So, community I have a question for you. What game company or companies do this same thing to you? By that I mean, which just seem to pull you into everything they do? Even if you try to focus on other things you always come back to that one game or console developer.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sopranosfan

You do know you can play Mario and Resident Evil on your large very nice TV as well right? At least I can. I bought a Vita because whether on a TV or on the go I would rather play Uncharted and other Sony titles than Mario and Nintendo titles and that is basically what the decision comes down to. BTW I own a Wii, I owned a DS(traded in on Vita) and my daughter owns a 3DS so not a fanboy.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Cubidog1

Totally agree with you man.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By emergency
    @sopranosfan

You do know you can play Mario and Resident Evil on your large very nice TV as well right? At least I can. I bought a Vita because whether on a TV or on the go I would rather play Uncharted and other Sony titles than Mario and Nintendo titles and that is basically what the decision comes down to. BTW I own a Wii, I owned a DS(traded in on Vita) and my daughter owns a 3DS so not a fanboy.

Lol, felt the same thing reading through the OP. Didn't exactly buy the real good games for the vita. Mutant blobs attack, super stardust delta, Rayman origins, all of those amazing PSP games. Those are the games that would keep you playing your vita not a bunch of crap like little deviants and mod nation. Something tells me all along you wanted a 3DS and only bought a vita cause of the hype.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust

None of the games mentioned would I play on either the Vita or 3DS. I'm waiting for JRPGs. Whichever platform has the most, is the one I'll buy. It's still too early to decide for me. As odd as it might sound, I want 40 and 50 hour turn based RPGs on a handheld, not action games and not puzzle games. So for me it's not a specific company but a game genre.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Djratchet

Rayman Origins should have just been a Vita game from the beginning. I played the PS3 demo, and it just feels wrong to me now. Not bad...just... wrong.

Skipped the 3DS, loving the shit out of my Vita.

Though... Tetrarhythm and KH3D.... rrrg.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By iWonder

Quantic Dream does that to me. That Kara demo blew me away.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JBG4

I understand that I can play those games on my nice, big, shiny, crisp, tv. I have played those games on there, I am a Resident Evil fanatic and I have an original PSP so I played the games on that system that I wanted to. I played Rayman Origins on consoles and it was an incredible game, I played the demo for most of the Vita games that had a demo that I didn't own, as well as, Unit 13 and it never really grabbed my attention. There was just something about those games that I just didn't want to play on a handheld. I'm not completely downing the Vita or Sony, I still have a PSP and a PS3. I have nothing against them. That wasn't the intention of the post, the intention was to talk about how, for some reason, I just cannot escape Nintendo.

I feel like a giant man-baby in that regard, even though I have a family and have now been married for a couple years. That damn plumber just won't let me go. I am also a huge JRPG fan and have been for a long-time so that is always something I look for in a system. The Vita may have some great things come out in the future but right now, for me, the software that is out and coming out for the 3DS is just more appealing to me. I did, kind of, always want a 3DS but was willing to give the VIta a shot, the screen is absolutely beautiful and there is a ton of potential in the system, but right now, I'll have a good time with my 3DS and take a wait and see approach with the Vita, if it blows up and some great things drop for it later on, I'll consider revisiting it and grabbing another one but right now I'll play through what I've got and worry about that later.

Thanks for answering the questing in the OP. I really enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and to a lesser extent, Heavy Rain. I agree though, Quantic Dream can create some really interesting experiences.

Does anyone else have a developer consoles or game that you are drawn to everything they do?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I like the motorstorm, killzone, resistance, littlebigplanet, mortal kombat and gran turismo franchises, so I don't think I will ever regret picking the vita over the 3DS.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JBG4

Completely understand, it's not really about me picking the 3DS over the Vita. I gave the Vita a shake and right now it just doesn't seem like it was the right fit for me. Down the road, maybe, but right now it just isn't.

So, you seem to have an affinity for Sony products. That's cool.

I used to be in the same boat with Square, back in the SNES and PS1 eras. That love affair has since faded however and turned merely into nostalgia for me as I don't really care for the recent RPG offerings from them.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@JBG4: Sort of, I only own a PS3 other than a PC, so that means, sure?

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By tread311

I have both a Vita and a 3DS and very much prefer my Vita. The 3DS feels completely antiquated on the OS and visual side, and the hardware itself feels poor. I do have to wonder about the long term investment of the Vita though, it will require developers to really put resources into these games for them to be worthwhile. If it is just a dumping ground for bad ports then it won't be successful.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JBG4

I also had some reservations regarding the long-term potential of the Vita. Upon hearing that there are some Japanese developers that could be pulling back support for the system, and, the well-documented struggles over there I had a hard time maintaining excitement for it. There is a huge possibility that it can pull itself out of the hole and really strike hot like the 3DS did over the holiday season but I just couldn't really connect with it when I had the Vita. Honestly, in Japan all it will probably take for it to sell a ton in a short amount of time will be a Monster Hunter game but that won't really help it much in the states.

I'm glad that everyone is enjoying their Vita and I hope that they continue to do so. I also know that a ton of people are big fans of the 3DS too and that is the camp that I have decided to settle down in at the moment. So, the all the 3DS die-hards out there, any suggestions of some lesser known games for a new 3DS owner? What games have you guys or ladies found to be the best to show off the 3D aspect of the handheld?

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I own both. Poor people sucks. Its better when I can do everything.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Hosstile17

@JBG4: I own both and feel like they are both quality platforms with quality experiences. I kind of don't know what to say other than buy what has the games you want. I hope you continue to love your 3DS. It has some great games.

EternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EternalEnigma

@JBG4 said:

Well, I thought I would try something different. The 3DS arrived and I decided to hold off making a purchase of the system because the launch lineup was really lackluster, and, the Vita had been announced and had really grabbed my attention. I own a ton of consoles, from current generation to a 2600, the DS was just one of them. It was one that I played fairly often and really enjoyed my time with, I purchased a DS in 2007 and found a ton of games that I could dive right into. I play quite a few RPG's and the DS was my go to platform for that particular type of game.

As last year rolled along I would get more and more tempted to just go ahead and get a 3DS, but I'm older now, in my mid 20's I am finding that I have less and less time for any kind of gaming. The handheld variety is no exception. However, I had already made my mind up that I was going to get a Vita, so I waited until launch day and even though I second guessed myself a little bit I went ahead and bought one from Amazon. When I got it home I picked up a few games and began playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss , Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational , Little Deviants , and ModNation Racers: Road Trip .

After just a couple of days I started to realize that I really don't need a platform that I can play the games that I can play on my large, very nice, television. So, I contacted Amazon and returned the Vita. My refund just came through and without hesitation I snatched up a 3DS with Super Mario 3D Land and Resident Evil: Revelations. I know that I will play a ton of the 3DS because of the joy that my DS brought me, my wife has since inherited the DS, she is a Mario fan who is a casual gamer at best who rarely plays anything but when she does she usually goes for the Nintendo platform, and then something occurred to me. It is something that everyone who regularly visits gaming sites has thought of before, but for me, it just hit me. This is what Nintendo does, it appeals to everyone. Everyone. That is the reason that I keep going back to Nintendo platforms, it's the reason that I just bought a 3DS, the reason I have a Wii, and the reason that when it releases I will buy a WiiU. They just know how to market and develop games and products so all people want whatever they're selling. This isn't something that I have against them, I have gotten so much enjoyment out of Nintendo products and I will continue to do so for years.

This isn't a love letter to Nintendo, it's just a man have a revelation about something that keeps pulling him back in. So, community I have a question for you. What game company or companies do this same thing to you? By that I mean, which just seem to pull you into everything they do? Even if you try to focus on other things you always come back to that one game or console developer.

I felt the exact same way, don't get me wrong, the Vita is a fantastic piece of hardware, but there just isn't enough exclusive games at the moment to warrant owning one, all the games for it can pretty much be played on PS3, and that's a huge negative for me, the 3DS on the other hand, it has all the games i grew up with, and as you say, games that EVERYONE can enjoy, my first game ever was Super Mario Bros on the NES, and since them i was a hardcore Mario fan and still am, i recently picked up a 3DS with Super Mario 3D Land and OoT, haven't looked back, they're games that you can just play for a few minutes at a time or for hours if you want, as someone who is in his 20's, i just want something relaxing and enjoyable, and what better than Nintendo for games like that?

Buying the 3DS was the perfect choice for me.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK

I hear ya. I went through the same thing when I bought a PSP and switched to the DS a year later. Bought the PSP at launch and was so hyped. I mean, the big screen, the controls with the little analog nub. Great visuals. Twisted Metal and Lumines and Burnout. But then it all faded. I was so excited I played the damn thing right out on the steps outside the Best Buy where I got it. But there is just something about Nintendo games that seem timeless. Zelda, Mario, Metroid. I used my PSP for video and music more often than not and was disappointed. I saw the DS with it touch screen and Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Zelda. It was what I wanted to play. I had a Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance. Why did I switch to the PSP? Shiny new visuals and beautiful looking hardware. But the DS Lite came out and my mind quickly changed and I got a handheld that I loved. The PSP was great, but the only thing I ever played with dedication was Lumines. And for me, that game was not enough. Though I have had a few instances of one game is enough, GoldenEye 007 on the N64 and Halo1/2 on the Xbox. I will never doubt Nintendo on their Handhelds and I while I actually have not bought a 3DS I will this holiday season when they have their holiday bundles. But I hope they have a new model out. Don't need that extra stick, but the improved screen and 3D effect that is now on the 3DS XL. Also hope they have white one. I still cherish my White DS Lite with the glossy finish.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SexyToad

I wish i had a 3ds... Also

No Caption Provided
    Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#19  Edited By Slag

@JBG4 said:

So, community I have a question for you. What game company or companies do this same thing to you? By that I mean, which just seem to pull you into everything they do? Even if you try to focus on other things you always come back to that one game or console developer.

For me it would be Nintendo as well. Squaresoft used to be that company for me as well perhaps moreso, but lately they've lost me a bit. I would have never bought a PS1 or 2 or 3 if it weren't for square . Desert island situation , Nintendo would have to be who I'd roll with despite the things they do that occassionally annoy me.

I dunno about the Wii U though, that may be the first Nintendo console I don't buy.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JBG4

@EternalEnigma: exactly what I was looking for when I went with the 3DS, as someone in there 20's (nearing 30's in a couple of years) I wanted something that I could pull out of my bag while I was sitting at my desk for a quick half hour break or on the plane for a short flight... the games I have for 3DS have allowed me to do just that.

@Slag: Yeah, the WiiU isn't really grabbing me. Don't get me wrong I actually found some really fun experiences on the Wii, the Galaxy series, Skyward Sword, Silent Hill, etc. but I just haven't seen anything from the WiiU that has me excited. That is, more than likely, until they break out Zelda in HD...

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#21  Edited By Slag

@JBG4 said:

@Slag: Yeah, the WiiU isn't really grabbing me. Don't get me wrong I actually found some really fun experiences on the Wii, the Galaxy series, Skyward Sword, Silent Hill, etc. but I just haven't seen anything from the WiiU that has me excited. That is, more than likely, until they break out Zelda in HD...

I think I may be a bit more disillusioned in it than you are.

I honestly don't know what it would take to get me interested in the Wii U right now. The Wii was a huge letdown for me and while I liked most of the Nintendo first party titles on there, most were my least favorites of their respective series. And I really came to dislike the wii remote. Just not a comfortable or fun controller for button pushing.

For me the Wii U will need to have a controller I like and probably third party support like we haven't seen from a Nintendo console in some time. The Wii had more I dilsiked than liked, which is something I can't ever remember feeling about a Nintendo console. Also would take achievements, decent online play, stores etc and reinvorgated Zelda, mario and new IPs from Nintendo.

Despite all that , my guess is I'll eventually get one. Nintendo does always seem to get me back somehow. But this will be the first ever console I don't get get at launch barring some major announcement.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.