Hell Hath No Fury Like a Nintendo Fan Scorned

#301 Edited by NaCl (108 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:

I remember when they unveiled the 3DS for the first time, and being shocked that it still only had one thumb stick in this day and age. I was even more shocked to have not once heard anyone mention the lack of a second thumb stick when talking about the 3DS, and now this shit storm has started.  I will never understand Nintendo logic.

I think part of the reason is just about everyone knows how fanatic most Nintendo fans are, there is just no convincing them that Big-N might have screwed up. 

No matter what you tell them, they will counter by saying that Nintendo has some kind of "magical creativity" that will overcome all the shortcomings of their product. 

Might as well save your breathe.
#302 Edited by NaCl (108 posts) -
@ImBigInJapan said:

I can't remotely understand what people are pissed off about. If I were a 3DS owner, I'd save my annoyance for the lack of great games on the system rather than some peripheral that doesn't even have an announcement outside of Japan. I doubt it will even be required to use when playing Monster Hunter, but will instead be available as an alternate control scheme, just like they did with Monster Hunter Tri and the classic controller Pro.

But hey, I have to remember that nobody has ever let the lack of information or facts or anything else associated to reality get in the way of chidish bitching in the past.

Then you have not heard the complains of hardcore MH players about the lack of a 2nd analog stick on the PSP. They even invented an "alternate control scheme" (the "Claw Grip") for the PSP version.
#303 Posted by Moody_Loner (12 posts) -

I don't really see the issue - it's an optional add-on. I've had one [3DS] since just after launch and the only game I could say that would use one would be Zelda but the camera isn't really an issue. If only the odd game is going to need on then why the controversy? Again, it's optional.

#304 Edited by Zithe (1045 posts) -

@NaCl: Out of curiosity, what are the shoulder buttons mapped to in that game? It must be something pretty important for them not to have put the camera controls on there and shuffled things up. I've never played a Monster Hunter game so I honestly don't know.

@Moody_Loner: The "outrage" is coming from those who fear this won't be optional for long. A second analog stick is a more fundamental change to the platform than peripherals usually are. The only thing I'm personally worried about is that they will build a second analog stick into the next 3DS and 3rd parties will start to use it for all of their games. Then I will be stuck either using the big ugly add-on or buying a new device. Again, that's if and only if Nintendo fully embraces the second stick.

#305 Edited by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

I still want to buy a 3DS, slightly

#306 Posted by MikeFightNight (1110 posts) -

I'm glad I didn't buy one. I was really considering it after the price drop but decided I had no interest in any games that were out for it. This news just makes me more interested in the Vita. We will see how Sony's handles the launch.

Then there is the other rational side of me that says "DUDE, why do you need a dedicated handheld system!?". I hate my rational side but he does seem to look out for my overall well being.

#307 Edited by Tordah (2480 posts) -

And this further solidifies why I will never buy the (inferior) first version of a Nintendo console. I just purchased a DSi XL, so I have years of backlog gaming to keep me busy until there's a "perfect" 3DS revision for me to buy.

#308 Posted by rmanthorp (3963 posts) -

RED TILL I DIE

(I do not own a Wii or a 3DS or a DSi or a DSlite lololol)

#309 Posted by Gamer_152 (14080 posts) -

Oh man Nintendo, you're not having much luck with this 3DS thing are you?

#310 Posted by Blind_Evil (306 posts) -

Wasn't so much rage when Monster Hunter Tri came out and worked best with a controller add-on. Hmm.

I think this is a big deal if:

1. Many games utilize the feature or

2. A revision comes along with the second pad, making existing units obsolete.

#311 Posted by ImBigInJapan (261 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

Nintendo UK were the ones who confirmed the device was real in the first place and again, they're likely releasing this because of a 3DS redesign being announced tomorrow.. which also means that it would almost certainly be a requirement, at least for future games. I'm sure they'll keep it optional for as long as possible, but the thing should have had the extra analogue stick and shoulder buttons to begin with.

Where can I find this info? So far I've only seen this one picture from Famitsu, and no mention of a confirmed redesign. If that is the case I can understand some annoyance, as it's a change more fundament than say, an iPhone update.

#312 Edited by NaCl (108 posts) -
@Zithe said:

@NaCl: Out of curiosity, what are the shoulder buttons mapped to in that game? It must be something pretty important for them not to have put the camera controls on there and shuffled things up. I've never played a Monster Hunter game so I honestly don't know.

Sorry to say, I don't really remember. I didn't play it much.  :p 

I only know about the claw grip because I tend to read up on games I'm about to try, especially those with a reputation of being difficult. 

But what I little I can remember, and with a bit of searching to refresh my memory :p, it seems L is mostly for opening the item list (hold + dpad to select) and R is for dashing.
#313 Posted by CyleMoore (494 posts) -

I haven't purchased a 3DS yet but I really want one.  I will be waiting to see what happens when Nintendo has this 3DS meeting.

#314 Posted by CharAznable (784 posts) -

I was so close to being swept up in all the 3DS Ambassador/Walmart early sale stuff, too. PHEW!

#315 Posted by Tally_Pants (592 posts) -

I bought a 3DS on pretty much day 1... I swallowed the price drop and am taking my "free" games. But if they announce a new 3DS coming out anytime soon with modified hardware (the second analog stick) I'm gonna be fucking pissed off!
And if, this is a big if, the new hardware also had a fancy new battery to go along with the new hardware change...I think I just might go on a wild, drunken shooting spree!

#316 Posted by NaCl (108 posts) -
@Blind_Evil said:

Wasn't so much rage when Monster Hunter Tri came out and worked best with a controller add-on. Hmm.

I think this is a big deal if:

1. Many games utilize the feature or

2. A revision comes along with the second pad, making existing units obsolete.

No. 2 is what people are worried about. 

I know I would be pretty pissed if my brand new handheld I paid $260 for is obsolete between 6 months.
#317 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@ImBigInJapan: The add on was confirmed for the UK.

The redesign is still only rumoured, but every other part of the rumour has come true. Monster Hunter Tri G, add-on peripheral to compensate those who don't want to rebuy the system, etc..

#318 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

Let's all take a deep breath and wait for the 13th. Maybe it's just optional, and you can play MH without the peripheral just fine. Maybe it'll be widely supported, who the fuck knows at this point?

All i'm saying is, give Nintendo a chance to explain the existence of this thing. We should not get all up-in-arms about a single leaked magazine image, and mere speculation on Nintendo's intentions.

#319 Posted by liako21 (523 posts) -

if they come out with a 3ds *lite* or some bullshit with a second analog stick im gonna go nuts.....whats gonna be the selling price of 3ds then? i can imagine it would be next to worthless....

#320 Posted by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

I don't really get the hate, it's just another addon to a console.

Remember the Wii? Remember this thing called Balance Board?

As far as I'm concerned this is basically the same.

It makes sense that Nintendo will do anything to get the Monster Hunter Franchise on the 3DS soooo.....I don't care

The problem with the 3DS isn't that thing, it's the lack of good games

#321 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Whoa. I just finished watching the episode of Castle that was titled that.

#322 Posted by Cynic04 (124 posts) -

I'm outraged that they are trying to pass of that giant hunk of plastic as a retail product. Do you really need something bigger than the existing hardware to add one analog stick?

#323 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2812 posts) -

I do not see the big deal about this add on, and I should think people would enjoy the prospect that the re-vis of 3D would have a second analog stick. You can do more different games with two analogs and you can do even more with a touch pad. Nintendo is making a BETTER system that will play more games well - that seems like a good thing in my mind.

#324 Posted by Bloodlines (172 posts) -

So the 3DS printer is up next then ?

#325 Posted by CaskStrength (15 posts) -

I'm not mad about this, I like the idea of the option of a second analog for games that would be enhanced by it.

However, I will be PISSED if they come out with a new model at or near the lower price point.

#326 Posted by Sinful (211 posts) -

kotakubomb

#327 Posted by Linkster7 (1029 posts) -

Why is this such a big deal? I don't see this going anywhere, their not going to start making games based on a plastic stick now are they? Are they?

#328 Posted by DrRandle (1203 posts) -

Are we really this upset over a peripheral? I have honestly never seen so much QQing and impotent rage over a peripheral. Nobody freaked out when the Motion Plus came out for Wii, which was a fundamental game changer. Nobody freaked out at the Wii Fit Board. Nobody freaked out of the Donky Konga drums. So what the fuck has changed so much in the media over the past couple years that suddenly this is "Inexcusable" and worthy of "ire?"

I just don't understand it. Yes they just dropped the price on the system, but they provided 20 free games to people who already had one. That's. That's more than Apple, Microsoft, Sony, or even (in the past) Nintendo has ever done for price drops, and the people who already have the systems. And now they have a peripheral that, for all we know, goes with one game. I'll save my "ire" for when there's a real announcement, and not some uninformed, unintelligent speculation made by a hype machine of iphone fans looking to hate on the 3DS for one more phoney reason.

#329 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@DrRandle said: Price drops for those other systems never happened so rapidly, they knew a lot of loyal Nintendo supporters would feel betrayed and felt giving them free games was the only way to remedy the situation. Yes, they could have done nothing, but pissing off the people who go gaga over your products and run out to buy it all immediately isn't exactly a solid marketing strategy, is it?

The fuss here comes more from the fact that this is rumoured to be coming out alongside a completely redesigned 3DS "lite" and the fact this peripheral is being released less than 6 months after the 3DS launch, essentially Nintendo is admitting "yeah, we screwed up the 3DS, now go buy this if you want to keep buying games". Comparing it to the balance board doesn't make sense, because that was a completely separate product, used for a completely different function for a completely different genre of games. The Wii motion plus is a better comparison, as that changed how you play games and (at least theoretically) would have been required for most new games.. people still complained about that, but it came out YEARS after the Wii's launch.

So yes, Nintendo released a system, didn't release any games, quickly dropped the price, and are now admitting the original design was terrible and so are releasing a hideous add on that we'll all need to buy, and possibly releasing an upgraded model, making the original one a waste of everyone's time and money. That's why we're annoyed.

#330 Posted by BoneChompski (213 posts) -

@MrCellophane said:

really?

Pithy comment.

#331 Posted by dael (19 posts) -

Why are fan piss if they know nintendo they always know that their handhelds change a lot and you have to wait a two or 3 years before the games arrived and the system has a couple of versions. Since the days of the game boy advance, this happens. So why do they complain about something that happens again and again. Enjoy your two games for now and take it. I learn my lesson and like the ds I am waiting about  two or four years before buying my 3ds.

#332 Posted by Cirdain (3092 posts) -

Bloody hell Klepek is a good writer

#333 Posted by NinjaCommando (102 posts) -

Angry online people

#334 Posted by Ohvee (145 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@DrRandle said:The fuss here comes more from the fact that this is rumoured to be coming out alongside a completely redesigned 3DS "lite" and the fact this peripheral is being released less than 6 months after the 3DS launch, essentially Nintendo is admitting "yeah, we screwed up the 3DS, now go buy this if you want to keep buying games". Comparing it to the balance board doesn't make sense, because that was a completely separate product, used for a completely different function for a completely different genre of games. The Wii motion plus is a better comparison, as that changed how you play games and (at least theoretically) would have been required for most new games.. people still complained about that, but it came out YEARS after the Wii's launch.

So yes, Nintendo released a system, didn't release any games, quickly dropped the price, and are now admitting the original design was terrible and so are releasing a hideous add on that we'll all need to buy, and possibly releasing an upgraded model, making the original one a waste of everyone's time and money. That's why we're annoyed.

It's also the result of the negative reaction always drowning out the rest of the discussion. This happens all of the time here (and everywhere else).

It's irrational to get into such a fervor over a rumor about a possible hardware revision. The piece of thread that people seem to hang on to is that this peripheral is apparently a first-party peripheral. It is seen as the harbinger of the inevitable redesign. I actually feel like a redesign is potentially in the future but not anytime soon.

Your last paragraph starts to delve into hyperbolic territory when you assume that this will be a mandatory add on.

#335 Posted by MustachedPagoda (47 posts) -

Nintendo is probably going to announce the add on at this next conference, but make no mention of a full revision.  It will probably be bundled with some first party game (maybe Luigi's Mansion 2), as well as the Monster Hunter game in Japan.  They might find some way to offer it to Ambassadors for free, but in general it will probably be low cost for everyone.  By next E3 Nintendo will have announced a new hardware revision that fixes some of the bigger issues (battery life and such) along with including a built in pad to be released next fall.

#336 Posted by Generic_username (612 posts) -

Thank you for posting this story. I'm going to be fucking pissed if my expensive-ass hardware becomes completely outdated so soon. It's not the same as the DS lite to DSi transition. It's not even the same as the DS to DS lite transition. The first design was terrible, but at least I could still play whatever games I wanted to. I don't want to have to either buy a dumb, uncomfortable-looking thing to attach to my 3DS or buy a whole new 3DS, that is going to be even more expensive than the one I already bought.  

I just want to be able to play the games. If this happens, and is a requirement for more and more games, (which it will be if it comes on a redesign, because who is going to develop for a system that has two analog sticks on it and say, "Naw, lets just leave that alone."?) then I will feel spat on by Nintendo for buying their product early and trusting that they'd release some good games for it eventually.
#337 Posted by Bacchus (106 posts) -

Worst Gameboy Ever.

#338 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

FUCK NINTENDO FOR RELEASING AN ADD-ON THEY'RE NOT FORCING ME TO BUY FOR A GAME I WILL PROBABLY NOT BUY ANYWAY. I'M GONNA SHOOT MY 3DS TO HELL AND THEN TAKE A SHIT OVER IT, YOU LISTEN NINTENDO?

#339 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

How quickly we went from the 3DS touted as a technical wonder to just being happy to play free NES games.

Compare and contrast the press reaction at E3 2010 - it's not only message boards that have a tendency towards overstatement.

Nintendo have always thrown out peripherals with huge fanfare but few actual games. They know that they have a limited market outside of the casual audience. The many millions who bought a Wii are playing Just Dance and Zumba not Red Steel or No More Heroes. Would an average 12 year old want to play a 3D version of a Zelda game that was created before they were born? Even Nintendo characters who have a deep resonance for us old-timers have very little relevance to the Angry Birds / Wii Fit generation.

In my day we were 'appy with one stick and a single button. To us, even a Kempston Joystick was luxury. Oh we used to dream of an autofire switch ...

#340 Posted by Darkstorn (465 posts) -

Good article, Patrick. This is insanity.

#341 Posted by VoodooTatum (73 posts) -

@CosmicQueso: You're on a video game website not a world news website. As far as the member only content you can go to gamespot or ign and get all the free content you want. But of course you get what you pay for, shitty content.

#342 Posted by AxleBro (798 posts) -

i just never bought a 3ds, and know what? i'm fine with it. i'll keep waiting for nintendo to finish their product before i give them my money.

#343 Posted by mderbs311 (58 posts) -

@Origina1Penguin: LOL I was JUST going to post that very same pic!!! Thank you my friend, that made my day. I remember many glorious moments of killer instinct on the OG gameboy with that monstrosity attached. I say moments, cuz it was like 20 minutes at a time, then all the batteries died.

#344 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Well, it doesn't bring back Megaman Legends, so I don't care.

#345 Posted by DarkS2K (33 posts) -

Oh my god that thing is ugly.  wow,  just...   wow. 
I wouldn't touch that thing and any game that requires it with a 10' pole.

#346 Posted by TheRawski (9 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin said:

Clearly people have forgotten Nintendo's glorious past accessories for handhelds. Exhibit A:

Yeah but that thing looked cool and folded down, this 3ds addon doesn't look very portable or cool (relatively speaking of course) I don't see why in this age of tech that this 2nd analog stick has to be so friggin' huge, it should be no more than a battery, the extra controls and a locking mechanism, not the super star destroyer.
#347 Posted by PooffBallzZzZ (86 posts) -

You know what Patrick? I don't give two shits about nintendo and what they do with the 3DS, but I love your writing and the coverage you offer. Chances are that if people are bitching about it, you have an article about it up on the site or on the way. Thumbs up to you! Keep up the good work and the controversial articles!

#348 Posted by OrigamiDriller (23 posts) -

I think it's a little absurd, all things considered, but I don't find myself angry. There's definitely a chance this add-on is for Monster Hunter exclusively.

#349 Posted by ABritishNerd (318 posts) -
@EgoCheck616 said:

I hope GameStop enjoys their my used Nintendo 3DS.

You sir, win the award for most epic grammar.
#350 Posted by circle_of_iron (37 posts) -

I bought a 3DS.  I love (almost) everything that Nintendo has made, I've been playing their games for over 25 years now, almost all my life.  They are my favourite game company and I put more hours on my DS than my Wii/360 combined.   

I bought a 3DS knowing that it was waaaaay overpriced.  The one thing that I just couldn't believe was that it didn't have a second circle pad.  I mean fucking really.  Everyone threw a fit about the single stick on the PSP and with good reason because one analog stick has always sucked (even/especially on the N64).  Obviously, I'm not privy to the internal design of the 3DS but externally it seems like the four face buttons could have been moved down and a second circle pad placed on top.  The power button would probably have to be moved but whatever.   

Now that I see this "attachment" I am horrified.  That has to be the ugliest thing I've seen since the Jaguar.  Seriously.  That's the best you could do?  Arg.   

If Nintendo makes a revision with 2 circle pads they'd better hurry the f*ck up.  I'll probably buy one anyways (hopefully it'll have a decent battery too) but damn.  Way to screw it up.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.