Hell Hath No Fury Like a Nintendo Fan Scorned

#351 Posted by circle_of_iron (38 posts) -

Ok... sorry to post again... but seriously go look at that thing.  Just look at it.  For like 30 seconds.  Do you see that thing?  It looks hideous and cheap.  It fits terribly around the hardware.  I mean holy shit - just look at that piece of crap.  Arg.  Nintendo, you are a multi-national, multi-billion dollar company who is involved in only 1 business and that is the best you can do?  Nintendo - WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!

#352 Edited by EgoCheck616 (820 posts) -

@fpsmadpaul said:

@EgoCheck616 said:

I hope GameStop enjoys their my used Nintendo 3DS.

You sir, win the award for most epic grammar.

Huh? What are you talking about? The original quote was " I hope GameStop enjoys their new used Nintendo 3DS. "

You just changed it to "their my used" for.. well, I don't know why. Mind explaining that to me?

#353 Posted by afrofools (1391 posts) -

Seriously Patrick, you can't work out why they would bend over backwards to get Monster Hunter even though the game doesn't have a market outside Japan?

#354 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5290 posts) -

@afrofools said:

Seriously Patrick, you can't work out why they would bend over backwards to get Monster Hunter even though the game doesn't have a market outside Japan?

People seem to forget how culture works.

#355 Posted by PenguinDust (12841 posts) -

I thought the Japanese market leaned strongly toward design and size considerations.  This monstrosity is both ugly and cumbersome.  I can't help but think there will be a new 3DS which incorporates this and makes it more aesthetically pleasing.   

#356 Posted by ProfessorK (846 posts) -

I'm glad I learned my lesson finally after the DS. Just wait a year and let the first revision/price drop take place. Looks like both may happen even sooner than that!

#357 Posted by PolyesterPimp (269 posts) -

I will say this is some well written journalism. I am drunk and currently arguing with my girlfriend but it kept my attention all through, and when I had to stop reading to puke or text message or scratch my ass I still found my way back to the word I was reading. Oh and it took me a good seven tries to write this post but I felt I had to even under the influence so ignore the lack of punctuation or the absurd amount of.

#358 Posted by bryngylf (4 posts) -

This is big =)

#359 Posted by Mabui (75 posts) -

I would buy a slim, longer battery, second "Monster Hunter Ready" 3DS.

#360 Posted by fini_fly (789 posts) -
@Buckfitches said:

Let's all take a deep breath and wait for the 13th. Maybe it's just optional, and you can play MH without the peripheral just fine. Maybe it'll be widely supported, who the fuck knows at this point?

All i'm saying is, give Nintendo a chance to explain the existence of this thing. We should not get all up-in-arms about a single leaked magazine image, and mere speculation on Nintendo's intentions.

Unfortunately this is not how the internet works.
#361 Posted by d0x (178 posts) -

This could be a nightmare for Nintendo. The 3DS does need a second stick but an addon isnt the proper way to do it because it wont be supported by anyone.

The issue with a redesign that actually adds buttons is you piss off EVERYONE who bought one before. Then you piss of developers because now they have to make a game that supports two sticks and 1. You cant just ignore everyone who has bought the original design.

Since the game would have to support both do you hold back gameplay features? An extra stick can do more than just handle camera actions and those same actions would be done with buttons on the older models.

Bad move Nintendo bad move. The only solution would be do a redesign, add the stick and then let everyone who bought a 3ds before send it in to you and then you send them a new 3ds. Doing that for free would Kill Nintendo so maybe charge $50 and have it like a special trade in offer...i dunno. Stupid all around. Im certainly not going to buy a 3ds now. Not until at least the new e3 rolls around so I can see what Nintendo is actually going to do here.

#362 Posted by YukoAsho (2248 posts) -
@krabboss said:
@YukoAsho

Well, that and the fans will stop buying if there's nothing but the name, something Nintendo fans don't do.

I don't understand. Call of Duty/Guitar Hero/Tony Hawk pretty much are/were the same game over and over. You honestly think those series have more variety within them than Nintendo's?  I honestly don't know why I read the comments on Giant Bomb.
Maybe you missed the part where Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk became jokes in a short span and were both shelved by Activision this year after repeated failures.  The only difference between Nintendo and Activision is that the latter always gets called out for overdoing their franchises and the former never will.  Activision has no blind ass fanboys.  CoD won't even be around in 5-10 years, let alone 25.
#363 Posted by InfamousBIG (3298 posts) -

@YukoAsho said:

@krabboss said:
@YukoAsho:

Well, that and the fans will stop buying if there's nothing but the name, something Nintendo fans don't do.

I don't understand. Call of Duty/Guitar Hero/Tony Hawk pretty much are/were the same game over and over. You honestly think those series have more variety within them than Nintendo's? I honestly don't know why I read the comments on Giant Bomb.
Maybe you missed the part where Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk became jokes in a short span and were both shelved by Activision this year after repeated failures. The only difference between Nintendo and Activision is that the latter always gets called out for overdoing their franchises and the former never will. Activision has no blind ass fanboys. CoD won't even be around in 5-10 years, let alone 25.

I think a more appropriate statement would be, Activision has less fanboys blinded by some sort of nostalgia.

#364 Posted by Picard (260 posts) -

I'm still pissed I paid 250$ for that piece of shit.  I'll never make that mistake again.

#365 Posted by YukoAsho (2248 posts) -
@InfamousBIG said:

@YukoAsho said:

@krabboss said:
@YukoAsho:

I don't understand. Call of Duty/Guitar Hero/Tony Hawk pretty much are/were the same game over and over. You honestly think those series have more variety within them than Nintendo's? I honestly don't know why I read the comments on Giant Bomb.
Maybe you missed the part where Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk became jokes in a short span and were both shelved by Activision this year after repeated failures. The only difference between Nintendo and Activision is that the latter always gets called out for overdoing their franchises and the former never will. Activision has no blind ass fanboys. CoD won't even be around in 5-10 years, let alone 25.

I think a more appropriate statement would be, Activision has less fanboys blinded by some sort of nostalgia.

What the fuck is anyone gonna have nostalgia for with Activision?  Call of Duty didn't even get big until '07, and I think GH was a year or two before.  I doubt they'd even get much attention for a Pitfall reboot....
#366 Posted by mrmanga (243 posts) -

Thank you so much for writing up on this. Maybe now some people will calm down when they see this isnt a thing for the 3DS for all future games or anything but more of a add on for Monster Hunter and maybe similar games.

#367 Posted by InfamousBIG (3298 posts) -

@YukoAsho said:

@InfamousBIG said:

@YukoAsho said:

@krabboss said:
@YukoAsho:

What the fuck is anyone gonna have nostalgia for with Activision? Call of Duty didn't even get big until '07, and I think GH was a year or two before. I doubt they'd even get much attention for a Pitfall reboot....

Perhaps I phrased that badly. I meant Nintendo fans had the nostalgia for those different game franchises; Activision doesn't have as many blind fans, because I don't think they have that extra sway of nostalgia.

Saying Activision has no blind fans is just retarded; I mean, dude, look at all the PWNED HEADSHOT N00B B1TCH I PR3STIG3D WAY MORE THAN YOU WITH MY MODELS people. Prediction: MW3 will sell fucking hugely because there are people who will buy it simply because they like that Call of Duty gameplay, no matter if it's just the same game regurgitated like 5 times now. This is exactly the same as say, Nintendo.

I think a lot of people who are more "gamers", rather than frat boys or teenage kids or whoever the fuck really gets into Call of duty that much and who played MW2 until the day of Blops release, and have bought every Blops DLC, no matter the value, simply because they like the FUCK outta that game.

That's what I was trying to say, in so many words.

#368 Posted by redlitez76 (116 posts) -

sony is laughing their butt off. seriously are nintendo that scared ?

#369 Posted by mariokart64fan (422 posts) -

, hey at least they added the thing ,  
its just goes to show at least nintendo improves its hardware thats already out so that we dont have to buy another,  
    unlike sony , 

#370 Posted by YukoAsho (2248 posts) -
@InfamousBIG said:

Perhaps I phrased that badly. I meant Nintendo fans had the nostalgia for those different game franchises; Activision doesn't have as many blind fans, because I don't think they have that extra sway of nostalgia.

Saying Activision has no blind fans is just retarded; I mean, dude, look at all the PWNED HEADSHOT N00B B1TCH I PR3STIG3D WAY MORE THAN YOU WITH MY MODELS people. Prediction: MW3 will sell fucking hugely because there are people who will buy it simply because they like that Call of Duty gameplay, no matter if it's just the same game regurgitated like 5 times now. This is exactly the same as say, Nintendo.

I think a lot of people who are more "gamers", rather than frat boys or teenage kids or whoever the fuck really gets into Call of duty that much and who played MW2 until the day of Blops release, and have bought every Blops DLC, no matter the value, simply because they like the FUCK outta that game.

That's what I was trying to say, in so many words.

See, I don't see that.  Nintendo's been regurgitating the same four or five franchises for the better part of 30 years, and no one ever calls them out, even though there really hasn't been much change in them since the N64 era.  Lots of people love them some CoD now, but I wonder how many of those people will abandon the franchise as soon as something better comes along.  Hell, look at what happened to Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.  Activision went to the well too many times, didn't do much of anything with the franchises, and the fans left.

This is what I'm saying.  For every other company in the world, if you overdo a franchise too long, that franchise will eventually die out.  While MW3 will indeed sell well, who knows what its impact will be on the broader CoD franchise.  And this is where Activision and Nintendo are different.  CoD will eventually die out the way all of Activision's other franchises have (unless they change it up a bit), and they'll move on to the next cow to milk.  Nintendo will continue to do nothing but put out the same games for decades upon decades and people will lap it up regardless.
#371 Posted by DrRandle (1376 posts) -

I also don't know where all of this "There aren't any games" shit comes from. I myself have no less than 6 games that I enjoy. 6 games in 5 months? Sounds like a pretty solid launch to me, especially with another 6 or 7 coming in the next 6 months. Sounds a lot better than the DS launch ,and is already caught up to my PSP collection.

Those games, if you're interested, are DOA, Pilotwings, Ghost Recon (great little tactical bit, like Advance Wars), Ocarina, Star Fox, and a gem I missed on DS, SMT: Devil Survivor: Overclocked. On top of that, I'm still catching up on other DS games, and have a few more that can be just as easily played on the 3DS like Layton, Kirby: Mass Attack, and I still need to play more Etrian Odyssey 3. Just don't get where this 'lack of content' thing is coming from.

#372 Posted by Ateryu (4 posts) -

Yes! I finally learned my lesson with Nintendo. Which is never ever be an early adoptor.

#373 Posted by Ax23000 (32 posts) -

I occasionally--no scratch that--often find myself thinking that everyone on the internet needs to take a step back.  Take a nice deep breath.  And relax.  One of the weird parts of being a video game enthusiast, or whatever you want to call those of us who follow the industry closest, is that people start to hyper focus on the smallest stuff.

EVERYTHING gets scrutinized and criticized.  Free games?  Aren't easy enough to download.  Are just old NES games.  Etc.  Every podcast I've listened to has spent inordinate amounts of time complaining about getting free games and that INCLUDES the bombcast.  Obviously there is room to criticize this stuff, but the conversations often seem out of proportion to the problems.

Which comes around to this second circle pad.  We know nothing about it at all aside from the part where it exists and seems to be related to Monster Hunter.  This article says  "The rollout of this announcement has been extremely poor," but that's BS.  The roll out hasn't even happened yet.  We've got a leaked image from a Japanese magazine.  This  isn't an official announcement.  This isn't a roll out, not yet.

We know nothing yet.  This could be a Monster Hunter specific device.  It could be free.  It could have nothing to do with a new iteration.

But that doesn't stop people from freaking out on the internet.  In this thread alone there are people talking about returning their 3DS.  Come on!  This is crazy talk until we know more.  So again, I say everyone needs to take a step back and relax.  This isn't the end of the world. The sky is not falling.  Let's wait until we have actual information before deciding how to respond.

#374 Posted by MisterDakotaJ (21 posts) -

Well.. I win because I didn't buy a 3DS. Holding out for PSV. :O

#375 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1160 posts) -

It is damn near impossible for me believe that this won't be in the next revision and that the next revision won't come out before march 2012. Nintendo makes it way too easy for me to hate everything they do.

#376 Posted by TheKbob (152 posts) -

Ew, just ew. 20 emulated games just to get pooped on for $80 and now missing out on possible a complete hardware playstyle change?

Granted, it's just a possibility, but I hope even the die hard Nintendo fans are finally waking up to seeing what they are cashing in on. Multiple hardware SKUs, colors, ports, and nostalgia. The strongest titles in the system's line up are ports and remakes. Why do folks still jump on this stuff without thought?

#377 Posted by Nintendude (312 posts) -

It looks damn ugly so there'd better be something else in it than only that. Maybe they aren't sure if there will be enough support for the second analog and they are trying out how 3rd party publishers act before making a redesign. Then again soon to be released redesign would explain the price cut even better... such a wrong way to go so early.

#378 Posted by EoinMason (93 posts) -

@Ax23000 said:

I occasionally--no scratch that--often find myself thinking that everyone on the internet needs to take a step back. Take a nice deep breath. And relax. One of the weird parts of being a video game enthusiast, or whatever you want to call those of us who follow the industry closest, is that people start to hyper focus on the smallest stuff. EVERYTHING gets scrutinized and criticized. Free games? Aren't easy enough to download. Are just old NES games. Etc. Every podcast I've listened to has spent inordinate amounts of time complaining about getting free games and that INCLUDES the bombcast. Obviously there is room to criticize this stuff, but the conversations often seem out of proportion to the problems. Which comes around to this second circle pad. We know nothing about it at all aside from the part where it exists and seems to be related to Monster Hunter. This article says "The rollout of this announcement has been extremely poor," but that's BS. The roll out hasn't even happened yet. We've got a leaked image from a Japanese magazine. This isn't an official announcement. This isn't a roll out, not yet. We know nothing yet. This could be a Monster Hunter specific device. It could be free. It could have nothing to do with a new iteration. But that doesn't stop people from freaking out on the internet. In this thread alone there are people talking about returning their 3DS. Come on! This is crazy talk until we know more. So again, I say everyone needs to take a step back and relax. This isn't the end of the world. The sky is not falling. Let's wait until we have actual information before deciding how to respond.

What this guy said.

I mean, come on, we're at the age where EVERYTHING gets leaked out before the official announcement and noone really truly knows until it ACTUALLY gets announced. Every game company, every form of entertainment is experiencing this stuff and most of the time, the same stuff happens and it either a) turns out somewhat like that with differences or b) doesn't turn out to be anything like that at all.

That would be expecting rational, logical, slow thinking from the internet and we all know how crazy that is.

#379 Posted by scottygrayskull (499 posts) -

Meh, they're not going to be pissed. Well, they'll be pissed but they'll buy it anyways. Like how people bought a 3DS in the first place so they could play decade old N64 games.

There's still plenty of gold left in that nostalgia mine.

#380 Posted by RurouniGeo (60 posts) -

First off: Glad I've still been rocking my DS Phat since 2004. Secondly you've got to be kidding me. In addition to all the arguments and points made in Patricks' story you need to add this: They are making a periphial for a game and sinking all that time and money when they refuse to publish in the USA and Canada Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower. Completely ignore that Xenoblade has literally sold out everywhere in Europe at some point over the last few weeks this is stupid. I've played Monster Hunter, not too big of a fan of it. But I am a fan and do want the aforementioned games that would take much less capital and time to publish here than to push a new peripheral on people.  Nintendo is making me sick these days.   They are worried about monster hunter core players and not the RPG/fighting game(any serious players who tells you they are happy with SSB Brawl and wouldnt like a balance update are dirty stinking liars but that's a blog for a different time)/name-your-genre-of-game here that would bring in tons of more money and have been around much longer than the Monster Hunter franchise?  This is quite the fools errand on Nintendo's part.  

#381 Posted by YukoAsho (2248 posts) -

@Ax23000 said:

I occasionally--no scratch that--often find myself thinking that everyone on the internet needs to take a step back. Take a nice deep breath. And relax. One of the weird parts of being a video game enthusiast, or whatever you want to call those of us who follow the industry closest, is that people start to hyper focus on the smallest stuff. EVERYTHING gets scrutinized and criticized. Free games? Aren't easy enough to download. Are just old NES games. Etc. Every podcast I've listened to has spent inordinate amounts of time complaining about getting free games and that INCLUDES the bombcast. Obviously there is room to criticize this stuff, but the conversations often seem out of proportion to the problems. Which comes around to this second circle pad. We know nothing about it at all aside from the part where it exists and seems to be related to Monster Hunter. This article says "The rollout of this announcement has been extremely poor," but that's BS. The roll out hasn't even happened yet. We've got a leaked image from a Japanese magazine. This isn't an official announcement. This isn't a roll out, not yet. We know nothing yet. This could be a Monster Hunter specific device. It could be free. It could have nothing to do with a new iteration. But that doesn't stop people from freaking out on the internet. In this thread alone there are people talking about returning their 3DS. Come on! This is crazy talk until we know more. So again, I say everyone needs to take a step back and relax. This isn't the end of the world. The sky is not falling. Let's wait until we have actual information before deciding how to respond.

I'd like to agree with you, but at the same time, Nintendo hasn't exactly inspired confidence. They LOVE their hardware iterations, including some that make games incompatible with previous hardware. Are people overreacting? Yeah. But Nintendo has conditioned people to expect the worst with their portables.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.