• 100 results
#51 Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -

Ridiculous XL

#52 Posted by Sackmanjones (4701 posts) -

Oh good god

#53 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -

Preordered 17 of those already.

#54 Posted by fargofallout (284 posts) -

I was expecting some in-depth reporting, akin to what Jeff did with the PS3 stand. This is simply unacceptable. I need more and higher-res pictures.

Also: lol.

#55 Posted by Phat2 (22 posts) -

do u guys need to shit on everythung HUH?

looks like mad sony and mcirosoft drones here...owned

#56 Edited by Crushed (884 posts) -

@DeF said:

@MormonWarrior said:

I still can't fathom who this ridiculous contraption is for. The only game that really demands it is MGS3 and it's a horribly gimped version of that game in general anyway (get the Vita or PS3/360 version...seriously) and Resident Evil is 100% comfortable without it even if it makes it a bit more controllable. The 3DS really doesn't need a second stick - it's not required for the kind of games that really thrive on Nintendo's handhelds.

You forgot Monster Hunter. They pretty much made it for that.

They showed off two Monster Hunter games for 3DS at TGS and neither used the Circle Pad.

Speaking of which, kind of funny that despite the shit ton of videos and game news coming out of TGS, "PS3 stand" and "photo of previously announced Circle Pad Pro XL" get top billing here.

#57 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

@MormonWarrior said:

@DeF said:

@MormonWarrior said:

I still can't fathom who this ridiculous contraption is for. The only game that really demands it is MGS3 and it's a horribly gimped version of that game in general anyway (get the Vita or PS3/360 version...seriously) and Resident Evil is 100% comfortable without it even if it makes it a bit more controllable. The 3DS really doesn't need a second stick - it's not required for the kind of games that really thrive on Nintendo's handhelds.

Yeah, but even then the PSP versions sold craploads without a second stick and people seemed to love those. Not saying it's not nice to have another one, but seriously...this is quite possibly the weirdest way to handle this peripheral.

People kept complaining about having to make "the claw" with their hands. This is supposed to circumvent the issue, should someone feel the need to. It looks hideous but it's nice to have the option.

#58 Posted by Warchief (657 posts) -

BWA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#59 Posted by Deusx (1904 posts) -

@Jams said:

@CitizenJP said:

Why, gawd? Why couldn't they just have built a 2nd circle pad into the 3DS in the first place? It looks so cumbersome.

you know all it would have taken is the stick and some wires. It's not like there's so much extra circuitry that they can't fit it all in the 3ds

Try opening a 3DS. That shit doesn't have room for more stuff. They shouldn't even make the circle pad pro. There isn't a game that REALLY REALLY needs it.

#60 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

So, we're back to this again, eh?

#61 Posted by craigymail (198 posts) -

I love the portable aspect of this device.

#62 Posted by Bartman3010 (445 posts) -

I don't really get why people are so worked up about the thing, honestly. I personally don't have a use for it. Though I hardly take my 3DSXL in public (It does fit in my pocket just fine.) I usually bust it out while I'm watching something on TV. Surely having a Circle Pad Pro in your household/apartment/whatever is not going to kill you.

Now what IS dumb about it is that it takes batteries. Boo.

#63 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

Looking at that thing made me physically sick to my stomach. I did not expect such a visceral reaction, so...good on you Nintendo?

#64 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

This clearly makes the 3DS XL even MORE PORTABLE!

#65 Posted by Zleunamme (666 posts) -

Maybe Michael Pachter's prediction of Nintendo leaving the hardware market will come true.

#66 Posted by KlUMZeE (318 posts) -

Still can't believe they didn't just build the second analog stick into the redesign. It just seem like they're too stubborn to admit that it should've been designed that way to begin with.

#67 Posted by Smokey_Earhole (474 posts) -
@KlUMZeE

Still can't believe they didn't just build the second analog stick into the redesign. It just seem like they're too stubborn to admit that it should've been designed that way to begin with.

It's not stubbornness - it's simply not wanting to lose face and be ridiculed over an apparent design flaw (that they achieve it regardless now via this monstrosity is just delicious irony).
#68 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

This almost looks like a parody project, I still can't take it seriously. Why didn't Nintendo just integrate a 2nd stick into the XL, and use it as a selling point for existing 3DS original owners to upgrade?

#69 Posted by Aptos (7 posts) -

90% bigger?

#70 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

3DS is awesome, but I have no idea why I'd ever need a Circle Pad Pro.

#71 Posted by UberExplodey (941 posts) -

God forbid they just fix the fucking thing.

#72 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

@Crushed said:

@DeF said:

@MormonWarrior said:

They showed off two Monster Hunter games for 3DS at TGS and neither used the Circle Pad.

Speaking of which, kind of funny that despite the shit ton of videos and game news coming out of TGS, "PS3 stand" and "photo of previously announced Circle Pad Pro XL" get top billing here.

The games still support it. That's why it's an optional peripheral.

#73 Posted by Rekt_Hed (848 posts) -

Nintendo = Never back down from design flaws

#74 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

Fits in my pocket!

You're not supposed to put it in your pocket but... there. You know. For enhancement.

#75 Posted by PenguinDust (12514 posts) -

Quit yer bellyaching. It's still small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. See?

#76 Posted by MjHealy (1851 posts) -

It kind of looks like a Sega CD-X. Fucked up to the maximum.

#77 Posted by TPoppaPuff (253 posts) -

@UnsolvedParadox said:

This almost looks like a parody project, I still can't take it seriously. Why didn't Nintendo just integrate a 2nd stick into the XL, and use it as a selling point for existing 3DS original owners to upgrade?

Well at this point I hope they just decide not to. They shouldn't waiver on their stance at this point, or at least not until November '13 and set the price at like 119.99 or something with significantly improved battery.

#78 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3306 posts) -

The biggest problem with the 3DS is that why would you buy a VIrtual Console game of a Nintendo game if there could be a 3D classics version? Also there needs to be an eShop only Zelda game in the style of Zelda 1(simplistic, open, ambiguous), but with updated UI/controls/features of GBA/SNES games (more interesting items, better menus, better combat, etc.) and graphics like a GBC game, but at the same time way too nice looking and all that to ever actually be on the GBC. 

#79 Posted by JamesJeux007 (472 posts) -

And only 2 games use it.

#80 Posted by PrintedCrayon (173 posts) -

That thing is hideous,

#81 Posted by Eribuster (489 posts) -

@Jams said:

@CitizenJP said:

Why, gawd? Why couldn't they just have built a 2nd circle pad into the 3DS in the first place? It looks so cumbersome.

you know all it would have taken is the stick and some wires. It's not like there's so much extra circuitry that they can't fit it all in the 3ds

Don't forget the added L2 and R2 buttons! Everyone seems to forget that the accessory also adds two more shoulder buttons.

#82 Posted by yoshisaur (2722 posts) -

As much as the "laid back" me wants to just say "if you want it, it's available - and that's a good thing," I just can't. This is a stupid, and lazy, move from Nintendo and they should be held responsible for their actions. It's tiring to see something that should be standard (two thumb-sticks) in a 2011+ release not actually making the cut.

#83 Posted by mrpandaman (866 posts) -

3DS XL... it only gets bigger.

#84 Posted by das9000 (174 posts) -

it keeps happening

#85 Posted by probablytuna (3657 posts) -

Best article.

#86 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -
#87 Edited by Wakka (80 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

That magnificent looking Asian woman might as well be modeling a turd. That XL is uglay.

#88 Posted by peritus (1012 posts) -

@das9000:

That picture made my day!

#89 Posted by biggiedubs (493 posts) -

You guys may laugh, but we're looking at a future Virtual Boy here. Buy all of them. They'll be worth a fortune in the future. Maybe.

#90 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

The most readable Patrick article yet!

Nintendo secretly just wanted to make a new SEGA Game Gear:

#91 Posted by BatmanBatman (362 posts) -

First this, then the PS3 stand... you guys are so full of ....

Technology.

#92 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

It STILL looks ridiculous! XD

#93 Posted by RuthLoose (816 posts) -

@sofacitysweetheart said:

YOU COULD WATCH TV ON THAT SHIT! DO NOT HATE!

#94 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

I have no idea why, but whenever I see this picture. I keep imaging a two-headed beast. The DS being the popular guy who is smart, fun, and creative while the thumb-stick is the social reject. Oh the conversations that they have must be legendary.

Do not read too much into this comment, I am just way too tired after coming home from work.

#95 Posted by Sevan (83 posts) -

@RuthLoose said:

@sofacitysweetheart said:

YOU COULD WATCH TV ON THAT SHIT! DO NOT HATE!

lol truth. It was the worst handheld i ever owned, but it wasnt the worst thing ever created...

#96 Posted by super2j (1683 posts) -

Patricks article is how a normal person could possibly react. But i wonder now how Jeff would react to this image and what sort of article he would write....

#97 Edited by Funrush (70 posts) -

@lesaboteur said:

There is no sigh large enough to describe my feelings about this and Nintendo as a whole.

@das9000 said:

it keeps happening

Wii Motion Plus.

Just... gonna throw that out there.

#98 Posted by AsperGamer (161 posts) -

Everyone just misses the point. Not all games need two sticks and if you put them there, lazy developers would just port crap onto it. This is an option when it really counts. I love using it on RE:R and KH:DDD and wouldn't play them any other way and I will certainly pick one up for my XL. It is simple to use and very effective. Sure, it makes it bigger, but so what? Most people play portable games at home anyway. Drama queens.

#99 Posted by tombtha940 (23 posts) -

so now you can buy 2 add ons with no games that has compad with em :)

#100 Posted by DanTheGamer32 (222 posts) -

3DS XXL

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.