Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

How region locked is the 3DS exactly?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Sooty

I'm moving to Japan in 2014 for one year, is it possible for me to play Japanese games on an American 3DS?

I live in the UK, but if the 3DS in the US and Japan uses NTSC maybe I'm better getting an American unit. Unless they are still using the NTSC-J differentiator for Japan?

I'm fine with playing games in Japanese but I'd rather have the option of being able to play games in English too, is there any scenario where I can find a middle ground here or is my only option to buy a Japanese 3DS, use that for a year, then either sell that for a PAL or keep it and only import games?

I really hate region locking. If the 3DS gets hacked I'll be doing it day one because of bullshit like this.

Edit: I know playing American games on a PAL 3DS is impossible but I always understood it that in some cases NTSC games would work in Japan and the US.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Bocam

@Sooty: Can't play Japanese games on an American 3DS

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sooty

@Bocam said:

@Sooty: Can't play Japanese games on an American 3DS

Well fuck.

Can you connect to another countries eShop?

Really annoying because if I get a 3DS here I can't buy any games for a year when I'm there since I'm not sure if I can get mail at my university address. :/

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By RazielCuts

@Sooty: You're expecting there won't be a revision on the 3DS by 2014? You're more optimistic than me.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bocam

@Sooty: Can't connect to another countries eShop. As they're based on the system's region.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sooty

@Bocam said:

@Sooty: Can't connect to another countries eShop. As they're based on the system's region.

Well fuck.

@RazielCuts said:

@Sooty: You're expecting there won't be a revision on the 3DS by 2014? You're more optimistic than me.

Like what! Dual sticks or a 3DS Lite? The XL looks perfect to me but who knows...I really like that they changed the front plate of the screen to matte, the glossy black drove me nuts on my first 3DS.

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sooty said:

@RazielCuts said:

Like what! Dual sticks or a 3DS Lite? The XL looks perfect to me but who knows...I really like that they changed the front plate of the screen to matte, the glossy black drove me nuts on my first 3DS.

Sorry but I have to bump this because Nintendo did exactly what @razielcuts said would happen did happen, hahah.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By PandaBear

@sooty said:

@RazielCuts said:

Sorry but I have to bump this because Nintendo did exactly what @razielcuts said would happen did happen, hahah.

True, but who would have guess they would have made it less functional and hideous. Granted, I'm not the target audience, I get that ... but surely even kids will want the "good" 3DS and not the dodgy 2DS?

Time will tell, sooner or later, time will tell.

Die Waffen! Legt an! DAHH DAHH DAHH DAHHNN DAHNN NANANA NNA NAAN DAH DAHH DAH DAHH DAHHNN DAN NANANAAN

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.