Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

How the 3DS SHOULD have launched

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

The 3DS has sold really well, apparently the best selling handheld everv according to IGN, although they have yet to release numbers. But the launch line up is not to good, here is what they should have done. 

Made Pokemon Black and Pokemon White for the 3DS, and had a bundle where Pokemon White was with a White 3DS and Pokemon Black was with a Black 3DS, this would have sold alot more and pleased a ton more people. They would have shifted alot more units if they made Pokemon a 3DS game, why didn't they!?
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

They don't need Pokemon, they have FUCKING PILOTWINGS. :P

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

They need some Picross up in that bitch.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By landon
    @LordAndrew said:
    " They don't need Pokemon, they have FUCKING PILOTWINGS. :P "
    Who the hell cares about Pilot Wings?
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Skald

The 3DS is going to sell out either way, so why would they give Pokemon away for free and limit it to a smaller audience?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Hizang
    @extremeradical:
    Because Nintendo would have sold way more 3DS's cause Pokemon is inasnly popular, and there is no limit to what Pokemon fans will do to get there Pokemon fix!
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pinworm45
    @extremeradical said:
    " The 3DS is going to sell out either way, so why would they give Pokemon away for free and limit it to a smaller audience? "
    For free? It's a bundle, it'll take into account the cost of the game and 3ds.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

They should make a new Punch-Out game. They just revived the series a couple years ago and it would probably be pretty cool in 3d. But yeah, besides Mario and possibly Kid Icarus there is nothing in their current or future lineups that appeals to me at all.

solidwolf52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By solidwolf52

If they made pokemon a 3Ds title they would have drastically cut Pokemon sales.  The reason pokemon sells so well is that there are millions of DSs out there, the 3Ds does not have anything remotely close to these numbers as it is a new system.  this is a bad time for the system to sell as well seeing as it is not being launched near Christmas time meaning the only people getting it now are people with their own disposable income, or spoiled kids.  They're better off selling Pokemon as a DS title and selling tons of copies.  The 3Ds launch was lackluster, but i believe Nintendo intended this.  The early adopters are now out of the way, meaning that they can now produce the system at a normal pace for te upcoming holiday season, preventing the shortages often experienced with a new console that releases in the fall.  Over the coming months warehouse of 3DS will be produced for the holiday season and the system's library will grow to include AAA titles people will buy when they do finally by the system.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By shirogane

I don't think they'd be able to keep up with demand for 3DS's if B/W was launch. Also, the means Japan would've had a delayed Pokemon release by many months, people would've been PISSED. 
    So, the amount of copies of Pokemon the sold combined with 3DS sales is probably more than they would've sold of 3DS if Pokemon was on it.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @solidwolf52 said:
    " If they made pokemon a 3Ds title they would have drastically cut Pokemon sales.  The reason pokemon sells so well is that there are millions of DSs out there, the 3Ds does not have anything remotely close to these numbers as it is a new system.  . "
    This 100%  

Why try to sell to a new system when there are all ready ungodly amounts of a older one all ready out there? 
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Skald
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " The 3DS is going to sell out either way, so why would they give Pokemon away for free and limit it to a smaller audience? "
    For free? It's a bundle, it'll take into account the cost of the game and 3ds. "
    Did I say free? I suppose I meant cheaper, as bundles usually are. 

What a silly thing for me to say. Worked too hard today, must have fried my brain. 

@Hizang said:
    " @extremeradical: Because Nintendo would have sold way more 3DS's cause Pokemon is inasnly popular, and there is no limit to what Pokemon fans will do to get there Pokemon fix! "
    Aren't most of them, excuse the expression, casual gamers? I think it would be better to launch with a more iconic franchise like Mario, Zelda, or possibly even Smash Bros.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @extremeradical said:

" @Pinworm45 said:

" @extremeradical said:
    For free? It's a bundle, it'll take into account the cost of the game and 3ds. "

What a silly thing for me to say. Worked too hard today, must have fried my brain. 

@Hizang said:
    " @extremeradical: Because Nintendo would have sold way more 3DS's cause Pokemon is inasnly popular, and there is no limit to what Pokemon fans will do to get there Pokemon fix! "
    Aren't most of them, excuse the expression, casual gamers? I think it would be better to launch with a more iconic franchise like Mario, Zelda, or possibly even Smash Bros. "
    I think they have a new Mario game planned. And Isnt Legend of zelda coming out for it? 
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Slaker117

With games and fifty bucks cheaper is how it should have launched.

But Nintendo knows that there are enough people who will buy anything they put out day one to bother making it competitive right out of the gate.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skald
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @extremeradical said:

" @Pinworm45 said:

" @extremeradical said:

@Hizang said:
    Aren't most of them, excuse the expression, casual gamers? I think it would be better to launch with a more iconic franchise like Mario, Zelda, or possibly even Smash Bros. "
    I think they have a new Mario game planned. And Isnt Legend of zelda coming out for it?  "
    Yeah, the remake of Ocarina of Time. I still think it should have been a launch title though.
    somethingdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By somethingdumb
    @Hizang:  I'm sure that Nintendo approached gamefreak and asked them to make a Pokemon game at launch for the 3DS. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that was their plan all along but gamefreak needed to get their shit together first. All the new stuff in pokemon, all the attempts at animation, the animated sprites, the vast (pokemon-wise) differences in story... I think gamefreak is trying to figure out how to make a real game and I think that game will be the one they put on 3DS. But I think they knew they weren't ready, so Black and White are sort of experiments or halfway points.
    Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tally_Pants
    @rjayb89 said:
    " They need some Picross up in that bitch. "
    Picross 3d... in ACTUAL 3D
    *and the peasants rejoice!*
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kjellm87

What was the launch games of Wii and the DS again?
    I've forgotten, been too long.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @Kjellm87 said:
    " What was the launch games of Wii and the DS again? I've forgotten, been too long. "
    Wii had Twilight Princess and... uh, Red Steel.  
    DS had Super Mario 64 DS, Wario Ware, probably some other shit. 
    3DS's real "launch games" are the Mii RPG, the AR Games, and Face Raiders, anyway. They're pretty great. 

Anyway, let's not pretend lackluster launch titles are anything new. What did the XBox 360 launch with? Kameo was good, but there was fuck all else. I don't even remember what I got with my PS3 at launch. 
    Oh, Virtua Fighter 5.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Tally_Pants said:
    " @rjayb89 said:
    Picross 3d... in ACTUAL 3D "
    This is the only thing that will convince me to buy a 3DS. I wonder if they'd do what they should and call it Picross 3D 3D or The Real Picross 3D.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LordAndrew
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @Kjellm87 said:
    " What was the launch games of Wii and the DS again? I've forgotten, been too long. "
    Wii had Twilight Princess and... uh, Red Steel. "
    And then a month later Twilight Princess was released on the GameCube. It still sold Wiis though!
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DeF
    @Hizang said:
    " The 3DS has sold really well, apparently the best selling handheld everv according to IGN, although they have yet to release numbers. But the launch line up is not to good, here is what they should have done.  Made Pokemon Black and Pokemon White for the 3DS, and had a bundle where Pokemon White was with a White 3DS and Pokemon Black was with a Black 3DS, this would have sold alot more and pleased a ton more people. They would have shifted alot more units if they made Pokemon a 3DS game, why didn't they!? "
    pokémon B/W came out last year in japan so they would've lost lots of pokésales for their fiscal 2010. don't just think in terms of north america with these things. video games are global.

of course what you're describing sounds good but that's not something that makes sense with their "3rd parties first" strategy etc
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

As someone who hasn't bought a Nintendo handheld since the GBA, when I was 10, or a Pokemon game since Ruby, I think it would have taken much more to get me interested. I'm obviously not the target audience so me and Nintendo just kind of co exist far away from each other.  

I'm much more interested in the NGP because that will prolly launch with games I want to play, like the PSP did.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tally_Pants
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Tally_Pants said:
    " @rjayb89 said:
    This is the only thing that will convince me to buy a 3DS. I wonder if they'd do what they should and call it Picross 3D 3D or The Real Picross 3D. "
    I could get behind a game entitled Picross 3D 3D or even Picross 3D^2 (squared...i can't seem to find a way to raise the 2 as a proper exponent)
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Pokemon released seven months ago in Japan and was likely in development for a couple of years..  I'm sure they knew about the 3DS but shifting development over would have meant making completely new assets.  I very much doubt the next Pokemon game on the 3DS will still be using 2D graphics and sprites..  and like others have said, one of the reasons Black & White has sold so well is because everyone already has a DS.  I'm sure releasing the big new Pokemon game for the 3DS at launch would have helped sell it to many people but there'd be just as many who can't afford one yet and will have to wait until the end of the year. 

I think it would have helped the 3DS sales but hurt Pokemon's.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By TheHBK

Please name a handheld that had a better launch lineup than the 3DS?  It doesn't have some Super Mario port or crap like that.  It has a few good games.  Not must haves but you can't go wrong with them.  The best console launch I ever saw was the Dreamcast.  Amazing titles coming out with the system.  This just has good titles, better than what we saw with the GBA, DS and PSP.  Now the original GameBoy had Tetris, but back then, who could have thought that game would have been a must have?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrKlorox

Well they should have made Black and White forward compatible, but still for DS. And built-in pokewalker/pedometer support.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SlightConfuse
    @Hizang said:
    They would have shifted alot more units if they made Pokemon a 3DS game, why didn't they!? "
    if they made it 3Ds only they would not have sold as many units. the DS has a large install base with many people who like pokemon, it would be dumb to keep all of them out. also 3Ds is backwards  compatible is it not?

they should have had kid icarus or Zelda then i would have most likely pick one up.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho
    @RiotBananas said:
    " Considering Nintendo supposedly gave The Pokemon Company the first 3DS devkits, I bet there's already a Pokemon game on the way for it. "
    Probably more likely its a Diamond/Pearl remake than a new game. In fact, I wouldn't put it past them to remake gold/silver again before doing another new game. I think they have enough pokes, they need to add hybrid mating or something. 
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Bollard
    I think its crazy they released 2 Pokemon generations on the same hardware. They've never done that before. Plus it was so close to the release of the 3DS. I really doubt it would have made sense at all to make Pokemon a 3DS launch title, Black and White would seem very unimpressive on the 3DS, and ifthey had tried harder with them there's no way they would have made use of as many features of the 3DS as they have with the DS. We'll just have to wait for the real 3DS Pokemans. 

@Tally_Pants said: 

@HandsomeDead said: 

@Tally_Pants said: 
    @rjayb89 said: 
    This is the only thing that will convince me to buy a 3DS. I wonder if they'd do what they should and call it Picross 3D 3D or The Real Picross 3D. "
    I could get behind a game entitled Picross 3D 3D or even Picross 3D^2 (squared...i can't seem to find a way to raise the 2 as a proper exponent) "
     You wanna go to insert, then HTML and use superscript tags which are, errrr... <sup> and </sup>. 

However I just tested it and it won't work. Weird.   
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

If I remember correctly all Nintendo handhelds had a shitty line up of games.  The original Gameboy had Tetris and Super Mario Land as must own titles.  The GBA had Super Mario Advance and Castlevania: COTM as must own titles. The DS only had a port of Super Mario 64 as a must own title.  The 3DS has Super Street Righter 4, and maybe Pilot Wings or Nintendogs & Cats as must own titles.  So I say they are on par with the norm.    That said I won't get a 3DS until there are more games and a newer model that has a better battery life because I got fucked over by getting an original DS the day before they announced the Lite. 

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cameron

What the 3DS needs is games that are worth playing. Just because previous consoles launched with crappy games doesn't mean it's alright. They don't even have anything interesting (to me) on the horizon. I don't care about an OoT remake, I've played that game before and I'm not particularly interested in paying to play it again. Rehashing old franchises isn't going to get me to buy this thing. I'm sure it will work for the Nintendo fans and Nintendo will sell a stupid number of games like they always do, but it's not going to work for me.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By animateria

Nope. 

I got Pokemon White... But if it was on the 3DS I would have skipped it. 

And there's a lot of kids out there that probably can't get a 3DS. Pokemon being 3DS exclusive would kinda be bad.

VoidBarrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By VoidBarrel

Personally, I think that SSFIV is one of the best launch games I've ever played, I like it more then its console counterparts. 

However, there isn't a single Nintendo title that makes the system worth getting. And the fact that DS games look worse if you have recently stared at them for hours is really disheartening. 

But really the last must have launch game was Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64. It is just to hard to learn any new system and to risky to invest heavily in the rapid development of a game for that system to expect great launch games ever again.  Because when a system is new the number of units in consumers hands is far lower than any other system, so you have no guarantee of making back the investment of a large budget high quality game as the percentage of the market that would buy it is not large enough. Then there is the fact that in this market there is no room for selling games months after they're released, at least a retail. So the developers and publishers only have about a month to make their game sell and with a smaller market just stating to build that just wont happen. Thus they make tech demos and ports because they are quick, cheap and educational for the developers.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Chavtheworld said:
    "
    @Tally_Pants said: 

" I could get behind a game entitled Picross 3D 3D or even Picross 3D^2 (squared...i can't seem to find a way to raise the 2 as a proper exponent) "

You wanna go to insert, then HTML and use superscript tags which are, errrr... <sup> and </sup>.  However I just tested it and it won't work. Weird.    "
    Giant Bomb does some pretty heavy sanitation. Most HTML tags are not allowed. You don't need HTML for this though; you can use the appropriate Unicode character. Check this out: Picross 3D²
    pikeplacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#38  Edited By pikeplacer
    @LordAndrew:
    With Pilotwings, who needs any other game?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Launch games is why I didn't buy a 3DS, Street Fighter IV is Street Fighter IV which I already have and.... Do they have anything else?

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Shaanyboi

as much as the 3DS launch sucks, Nintendo clearly tried backing off a bit so that third parties could have a bit more room to breathe.  Too bad aside from Ghost Recon and SSF4, it's almost all garbage.  

But even then, the real killer launch software is kinda what's already built into the system.  If you want stuff that demonstrates what crazy stuff makes this system unique, the AR games and Face Raiders are it.  Showing that off has gotten people I know way more excited and interested in the system than if I were to be like "Hey!  I got this year-old Street Fighter game!" or "Nintendo remade a Zelda game!"

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By Bollard
    @LordAndrew: Madness.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Contro

You had me at Pokemon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.