Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

I need your help, should I get the VC Links Awakening or the VC NES Zelda on 3DS (Poll)

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Poll I need your help, should I get the VC Links Awakening or the VC NES Zelda on 3DS (Poll) (41 votes)

The Legend of Zelda (NES) 2%
    Links Awakening DX (GB) 85%
    I have no opinion but I want to see the results without having to logout 12%

So I wanted to get one of these games for my 3DS on the virtual console l but I couldn't decide which one to get. I played Links Awakening as a kid, but I have never played the original zelda. Which game is better, which one holds up better?

I know there are some people who feel really strongly about Zelda so I'm sure someone could give me some good advice.

What do you guys think?

• 
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What about the Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons games? They're great!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Link's Awakening is the shit. I vote that.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: I did think about those, but I tried to play Ages on my gbc not that long ago and found it... less then awesome. So they aren't my top picks.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's cool to play the original Zelda if you never have, but it doesn't hold up as well as you might hope. It's hard, and man, that world is one difficult maze to navigate. The original game came with a map, and without that, you're going to have some difficulty, I'd say. I think Link's Awakening is phenomenal. It's one of my favorite Zelda games. I just bought Oracle of Seasons since it's only like $5. I have yet to play it, but I'm excited to start.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Links Awaking is very good, I think it is, honestly the best Zelda game.

Better then OOC, TLoZ would be much shorter, and simpler, I havernt played it ever. But I doubt it would be the type of Zelda game you have come to know.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@techhits said:

@truthtellah: I did think about those, but I tried to play Ages on my gbc not that long ago and found it... less then awesome. So they aren't my top picks.

Well, Ages and Seasons are pretty darn solid, and I'd recommend them over the original LoZ. Awakening is certainly the best of the lot, but if you've already played it, *shrug*.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Link's Awakening, duder. I played it when it came out for the 3DS and it holds up really well. The original Zelda is a classic and fantastic game, but I don't think it holds up nearly as well. I, like you played Link's Awakening as a kid, and I think that only made it more fun, because I got to remember how fucked up yet fun that game is. (Remember the trading "quest"?)

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Legend of Zelda (NES) is really hard to appreciate since basically any modern fans of Zelda define the series by Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time, which the original is almost nothing like. The original Zelda is more like Metroid, in that you can just wander anywhere, do dungeons/bosses in sort of any order, and also there is so much bullshit arbitrary hidden shit. So I hope you like using the candle on every bush until you find the like 2 bushes in the game that are actually burnable. By which I mean "I hope you like using a guide, because you're nuts if you have the patience for all the hidden shit in this game in 2013". Unless you're a six year old with no responsibilities and an entire summer to burn on NES Zelda.

I think Link's Awakening is a remarkably good game.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Legend of Zelda is a great game but the future games iterate on that basic formula and essentially "perfect" it. I suggest Link's Awakening but you can't really go wrong with either one.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animathias: like trading the dog food for the bow or the bananas for the honey comb. Oh yes, I remember the trading quest.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By ManMadeGod

Links Awakening DX is still a fun game, so I would say go with that

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I imagine Link's Awakening still holds up fine, haven't played it in years. I can confirm that Oracle of Seasons still does it, if you wanted to get either of those games.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What about the Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons games? They're great!

They're good, but not great. I remember there being some really tedious bits, particularly in ages.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't like Zelda 1 and it's so hard to go back and play. It's just quite boring. So LA.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TruthTellah

@warpr said:

@truthtellah said:

They're good, but not great. I remember there being some really tedious bits, particularly in ages.

Next to the original LoZ(that unfortunately doesn't hold up too well), I think they fair reasonably well. Together, I'd say they're a step or two below Awakening. As far as Zeldas to get on the 3DS, I think if someone has already played Awakening, the Oracles games are a nice buy.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

LoZ is one of those games you play as a really interesting piece of history. I still find it fun but it's nearly impossible without a guide. If that's not what you're looking for, go for Link's Awakening.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Link's awakening is superior in every single way.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TechHits

lol well this is quite the blowout, I'm glad I asked I was figuring it was going to be around 60 /40

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Link's Awakening is my favourite Zelda game. Having said that though, you've already played Link's Awakening, so I'd say get Zelda 1 - you may as well play it since you haven't already.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagbiker said:

Links Awaking is very good, I think it is, honestly the best Zelda game.

Better then OOC, TLoZ would be much shorter, and simpler, I havernt played it ever. But I doubt it would be the type of Zelda game you have come to know.

Dag hit the nail on the head. The original is good for nostalgia, but I loved Link's Awakening. It was my first foray in the franchise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.