Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

In regards to battery life and Sleep Mode

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I remembered reading in Jeff's 48 Hours with Nintendo 3DS article that he had some concerns about Sleep Mode and battery life, specifically that if you left the 3DS on in Sleep Mode that there wouldn't be much of it. 

Or you know, what he actually said, that people probably want more battery life rather than more Miis.

WELL GUESS WHAT MOTHER FUCKERS.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAH 
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAH 
     So I decided to leave my 3DS on all day, in Sleep Mode, from 9 AM to 3 AM. Yes, that is my day. 

That's about 18 hours of non-gaming goodness, except I played like 30 minutes of Chrono Trigger but whatever, and the final result was "Oh I guess it still has a full charge." 

Now, yeah, it probably wasn't full, but it said it was full. The blue bar was on it and it went all the way from the back of the battery symbol to the front of the battery symbol, which is to say that there was, indeed, much battery life left. 

So yeah, leave fucking Street Pass on, it doesn't matter. 

Also, I don't know about you but I think the battery life is pretty good. I've been playing a shit load of Chrono Trigger and I've barley lost any power at all, never more than half. As for 3DS games, aka Street Fighter, it loses battery power more quickly, though if you are only playing in short bursts I'd suspect that 3 - 5 hours is more than enough if you are, you know, playing it like a portable, and not playing it for 3 hours, nonstop, at a time. 

Like me.

That's not to say it's excusable, but you know, I'm fine with it so far. 

Discuss.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Yeah, I've really had no problem with the battery life.  Sleep mode and street pass don't seem to drain it very much at all (though actually finding someone to street pass with in the UK is another issue) and even playing the thing quite regularly, the battery seems to last a decent amount of time. 

I do mostly play it at home though, so it's a case of just throwing it onto the dock whenever I'm not using it..  It might be a bit more of an issue if you're someone who really uses it as a portable device but even then, it should last most of the day.

Chaossebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Chaossebba

Ive had it on for a full break day (like from 9 AM to 7 PM), then played like 3 hours of street fighter, and it was still at around half battery power. Battery life is fine for my needs!

Krixok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Krixok

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I found the same, people just overreact, as with the red ring of death, yellow ring and system updates breaking the consoles.
    I mean, honestly, the 3DS is an ace thing but if you're gaming 8 hours straight on it, you're doing something wrong anyway.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

I haven't tested it extensively, but sleep mode does seem to be fine. I haven't had to worry about the battery dying yet.

somethingdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By somethingdumb
    I had classes all yesterday and played my 3DS in between each class. During the classes it was on with Streetpass enabled (I was doing a Streetpass experiment (success!) of sorts) and in between classes I was practicing SSF4 and calming down with Pilotwings. I was out of the house for 9 hours, and I was playing my 3DS for almost 4 of those and my battery was more than half full. Also my 3D was usually more than half up and my brightness was on 5.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kjellm87

Seems pretty similar to the old DS battery to me. I street passed at work and played pokemons 3-4 hours before it started to give in.
    Speaking of that, flashing red light  to tell you it's about to die is a GREEEEAT addtion.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By GunstarRed

I have found it to be inconsistent with the amount of time it takes to shut down. I played a game for 2/12 hours from full charge and it completely died, I played the same game  another time and after 3 hours and the battery was half empty, same settings both times. I've had it run for ages in sleep mode, almost 7 hours.

mason_pat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mason_pat
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " I found the same, people just overreact, as with the red ring of death, yellow ring and system updates breaking the consoles.I mean, honestly, the 3DS is an ace thing but if you're gaming 8 hours straight on it, you're doing something wrong anyway. "
    That's not really why people are concerned... the concern comes from when you're somewhere and can't charge your 3DS for the ~3 hours it needs... you know, what with it being a portable device and all, that you take to places.
    Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Trebz

Having my 3DS in sleep mode from about 7:00am to 3:30pm with about 1&1/2 hours of SSFIV in-between, I still had about 3/4s battery. That's alright for me.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By ReyGitano
    @LordXavierBritish: Good to hear! I wonder if there's some issue with Jeff's in particular. I know I like to just be able to leave my DS closed and forget about it for a day only to be surprised that it's still alive the next day. Seems like it would be especially important for the 3DS because of things like streetpass.
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ToxicAntidote

I just want to say that a portable system is often like any other gaming system for me. I can play for several hours straight, as long as I find it entertaining. Implying that portable systems only are made for bus rides is nonsense to me.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mason_pat said:
    " @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " I found the same, people just overreact, as with the red ring of death, yellow ring and system updates breaking the consoles.I mean, honestly, the 3DS is an ace thing but if you're gaming 8 hours straight on it, you're doing something wrong anyway. "
    That's not really why people are concerned... the concern comes from when you're somewhere and can't charge your 3DS for the ~3 hours it needs... you know, what with it being a portable device and all, that you take to places. "
    And this is totally not a problem with just about any other mobile phone/system/laptop/whatever.
    If its such a problem, bring the charger, if that's too much trouble, buy a 3rd party extended battery.

There's more then enough options nowadays, people are just crybabies over every lil fucking thing.
    albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By albedos_shadow

I've had mine on for ~12 hours today and it's still at 3/4 battery. This is with 2 hours of gameplay, wireless and Streetpass on.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

Sleep mode is just fine.  I've gone out walking around with it on a couple of occasions for hours at a time, and the battery was barely drained.  (Also, Play Coins.  Yeah, baby.)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Hailinel said:
    " Sleep mode is just fine.  I've gone out walking around with it on a couple of occasions for hours at a time, and the battery was barely drained.  (Also, Play Coins.  Yeah, baby.) "
    Oh crap! I just remembered I haven't collected today's daily maximum of Play Coins yet!
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By SpudBug

I think the battery complaints are vastly exaggerated.  

Also, don't put it at full brightness all the time.. 

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By beargirl1

i was always wondering if the battery was crap or not w/ sleep mode. i might actually carry it with me now

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ckeats

Mine last me all day in my bag street pass enabled. From 6am till about 9pm when I get home. Most days I still have over half a battery left. I bought an extra adapter just in case to keep with me and haven't used it yet.
    I play alot of DS games in it though and they seem to use less battery. I could be wrong about that.

Avatar image for thatoneswaggerboy
    ThatOneSwaggerBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so I played Super Smash Bros for a while until I had 3 bars of Battery Life left and then I put it on sleep mode for the night and in the morning I check on it and its dead so I go charge it.

I think that maybe it will last in sleep mode for the night if you have 4 bars of battery left not 3. Oh well

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.