Incredibly Unofficial And Shaky Signs Point To November 3DS Launch In Japan

• 100 results
Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -
 Here's a picture of a 3DS. Seen behind it: another 3DS.
You might have seen the "Nintendo 3DS releases on 11/20" forum threads going around, but now that I've seen this one all the way back to its source, it's all so shaky that it's hard to put much actual credence behind the whole thing. Still, in case you were wondering, here's where all that is coming from.

This one's another story from the "deleted Twitter post as news" category. According to Andriasang.com, which is sourcing Japanese game blog Game Jouhou, a Twitter message from someone claiming to have worked at Japanese peripheral maker Keys Factory stated that a grip of 3DS-compatible accessories would be hitting Japan on November 20, alongside the handheld itself. Of course, no date for the 3DS has actually been announced yet, making this, you know, news.

Since this information broke, the post to Twitter--actually, the entire Twitter account--has been eradicated, which only adds one more layer of suspicion to the whole thing. Officially, Nintendo has come out and said that the system's price and release date would be announced for the Japanese market on September 29. And waiting until the end of September to announce a November ship date doesn't seem too far-fetched, considering that thing is supposed to be out sometime before March 2011.

What do you think? Does this sound feasible, or are you totally lost in the layers of speculation and unverifiable sources? Personally, the whole thing is giving me a headache, but it all sounds completely possible. I wouldn't be shocked if we were frantically trying to import a 3DS or two before the year is out.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -
 Here's a picture of a 3DS. Seen behind it: another 3DS.
You might have seen the "Nintendo 3DS releases on 11/20" forum threads going around, but now that I've seen this one all the way back to its source, it's all so shaky that it's hard to put much actual credence behind the whole thing. Still, in case you were wondering, here's where all that is coming from.

This one's another story from the "deleted Twitter post as news" category. According to Andriasang.com, which is sourcing Japanese game blog Game Jouhou, a Twitter message from someone claiming to have worked at Japanese peripheral maker Keys Factory stated that a grip of 3DS-compatible accessories would be hitting Japan on November 20, alongside the handheld itself. Of course, no date for the 3DS has actually been announced yet, making this, you know, news.

Since this information broke, the post to Twitter--actually, the entire Twitter account--has been eradicated, which only adds one more layer of suspicion to the whole thing. Officially, Nintendo has come out and said that the system's price and release date would be announced for the Japanese market on September 29. And waiting until the end of September to announce a November ship date doesn't seem too far-fetched, considering that thing is supposed to be out sometime before March 2011.

What do you think? Does this sound feasible, or are you totally lost in the layers of speculation and unverifiable sources? Personally, the whole thing is giving me a headache, but it all sounds completely possible. I wouldn't be shocked if we were frantically trying to import a 3DS or two before the year is out.
Staff
#2 Posted by FixtheFernBack (29 posts) -

Can't wait!

#3 Edited by cooljammer00 (1746 posts) -

Excited, I guess. 

edit: Oh damn, FixTheFernBack.

#4 Posted by Winsord (1227 posts) -

I wouldn't really be surprised, but at the same time, I really don't care about the 3DS.

#5 Posted by Mijati (922 posts) -

Sounds about right, although isn't it out before March 2011 Worldwide?

#6 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1414 posts) -

People still use handhelds?

#8 Posted by EpicOrangeJuice (7 posts) -

People will only use handhelds in the future

#9 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

November 20th is my birthday :)

#10 Edited by Rodiard (439 posts) -

I just want it to come out before the end of the year. In the US.

#11 Posted by wafflez (528 posts) -

this is similar to how we learn about the new ipod devices still in the works so its very possible that this is legit.  I hope so, because the 3ds looks awesome and I'd love for a spring US launch.

#12 Posted by frsty13 (85 posts) -

It sounds fake, but if the account that the twitter message originated from was real in the first place, then it has some credibility.  Shame that's just the JP release date and not a world wide one.

#13 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -
@FixtheFernBack said:
" Can't wait! "
you have just made my day. congratulations.
#14 Edited by DaBuddaDa (290 posts) -

I think this will turn out to be true. Imagine if Nintendo suprise releases the 3DS in America Sega Saturn style a day before Kinect is set to launch. Microsoft would be doomed!

#15 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -

It's sad when the only reason why I'm even considering getting one is for the new Animal Crossing. The wife and I love the Wii version as it gives us another thing to do together. I;m just glad there's a slider in case the "3Dness" messes with her eyes.

#16 Posted by Jimbo (9813 posts) -

Seems plausible enough.  Japan in November, US in March, EU in about 4 years.

#17 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

If it wasn't true then the account wouldn't have been deleted.

#18 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -
@DaBuddaDa said:
" I think this will turn out to be true. Imagine if Nintendo releases the 3DS in America a day before Kinect is set to launch. Microsoft would be doomed! "
Actually, this is all just a big precursor to Nintendo announcing that 3DS will have Kinect support. You turn the screen towards your Kinect, and the Kinect camera can not only tell how far away the 3DS is, but also virtually how far away an object on the 3D screen is.
#19 Posted by FixtheFernBack (29 posts) -

After GB's high praise of the 3DS at E3 I was turned from curious to excited and I'm eager to check one out for myself.

What's the lead time on going into full scale production on these things? I wouldn't be surprised on a Nov 20th release but I would have thought if they were in production right now then more evidence would have surfaced. I guess 3 - 4months seems plausible.

#20 Posted by eshchan (47 posts) -

I think the 3DS is being rushed right now and gonna wait for 3DS lite before purchasing, unless there are a lot of compelling games out there at launch date.

#21 Posted by golguin (3929 posts) -

I believe it will come out out in Japan before this year ends, but next year for the US.

#22 Posted by animathias (1186 posts) -

Why are we still talking about such a large difference of release days between regions? I'm looking at this from every angle, and besides the production issues I really can't see why Nintendo would put a span of months between the Japan release and the NA launch. 

Meh.

Anyway, I hope this news is true. If it is, it just means we non-Japanese folk will know the 3DS is almost at our door.

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (11996 posts) -
@dvorak said:
" If it wasn't true then the account wouldn't have been deleted. "
Basically the most suspicious part.
#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

The source kinda destroys it, doesn't it? Granted, it fits within Nintendo's semi-announcement, but all they did was announce a DS thing that you can use with the 3DS, mainly because it's not a software/hardware thing.

#25 Posted by DeF (4893 posts) -

I hope it takes a little longer since I just spent 50 bucks for a certain website membership that is now missing from my savings :P

#26 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -
@Anwar said:
" @FixtheFernBack said:
" Can't wait! "
you can't wait for what? just busting chops, I don't care for the 3DS, so yeah have fun when it launches "
Busting chops lol. 
Good ol' Dr. Jan I. Tor
#27 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

If this post was made by Brad Nicholson, all these comments would be like "this is news?" and "ugghhhh  stop posting articles about rumors, video games is srs bsns" 

This community is fun to observe.

#28 Edited by AndrewB (7617 posts) -

I could see it happening. I could also see things swinging another way. Since the 3DS is very similar to the DS "family of consoles" (as Nintendo puts it), they could just be putting out the accessories and claiming compatibility with the upcoming handheld as a selling point. 

The bigger question is when we'll see a US launch date. It would be nice for Nintendo to start launching on the same day internationally. I'm stoked about it enough to think about paying the ridicu-pricing to import, though I'd probably think twice since I'm sure that downloadable games will be region locked, if not the cartridges themselves. 

#29 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Is the 3DS region locked in any way. i want to import it but if it wont work with american software then i dont want tot do it

#30 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -
@TheGremp said:
" If this post was made by Brad Nicholson, all these comments would be like "this is news?" and "ugghhhh  stop posting articles about rumors, video games is srs bsns"  This community is fun to observe. "
Yeah I was thinking the same thing ;/
#31 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11025 posts) -

I don't really care, unless the US release date is around the same time. 

#32 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
Cammie Dunaway straight up told Brad that they weren't gonna leave the biggest territories out of the initial launch. So if that's the Japanese date, that's the US date too.
#33 Posted by Felix (145 posts) -
@DaBuddaDa said:
" I think this will turn out to be true. Imagine if Nintendo suprise releases the 3DS in America Sega Saturn style a day before Kinect is set to launch. Microsoft would be doomed! "
Something tells me the demographic that Microsoft is trying to go for with the Kinect isn't necessarily the same one that goes for something like the 3DS. Not saying there isn't overlap, but it's probably not that great.
#34 Posted by MisterMouse (3554 posts) -

man that seems so soon! I am very excited the 3DS seems like a solid system so far and some of the games that they demoed were some pretty big names.

#35 Posted by Prolix (188 posts) -

November 20th is my Birthday!

#36 Posted by TheHT (11278 posts) -

Didn't the DSi or whatever the latest DS was get a price reduction? That seemed pretty frantic, almost like they were trying to speed up the system death and replacement process.

#37 Posted by InertCoctopus (17 posts) -

I can only hope. Hopefully that means it will be out in the US soon after. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

#38 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

I'll believe it when I hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

#40 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -
@plop1920 said:
" @TheGremp said:
" If this post was made by Brad Nicholson, all these comments would be like "this is news?" and "ugghhhh  stop posting articles about rumors, video games is srs bsns"  This community is fun to observe. "
Yeah I was thinking the same thing ;/ "
I actually doubt it. He is opening a discussion while condensing all of the rumors into a bite size chunk. I didnt even realise it wasnt Brad N until I read your comment.
#41 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -
@Jeff said:
"Since this information broke, the post to Twitter--actually, the entire Twitter account--has been eradicated, "
Talk about a cover up. I wonder if the original poster is swimming with the donuts. The ones that the fishes eat. That are dipped in caramel...
#42 Posted by Gooddoggy (411 posts) -

Kotaku is claiming that they've confirmed that the dude who owned the Twitter account did, in fact, work at Keys Factory.

Sounds plausible, at least.  If they did do a simultaneous launch, then it would make sense to get it in US stores before Black Friday and out before Christmas.  Launching a few months after Christmas seems like a weird move for hardware, especially given how much of Nintendo's market is made up of "non-core gamers."  

I'm stoked for it.  Wonder how difficult it will be to find when it launches.

#43 Posted by TobyD81 (1227 posts) -

All seems possible, but none of this info is solid. Whatever happens, I'm likely to be in on day 1 for the USA release.

#44 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

I'm going to believe it's legit. I don't know how the twitt came about, but the date sounds reasonable. At least that's what I'd expect the relase date to be: end of this year for japan e beginning of next for the rest of the world.

#45 Posted by Hector (3364 posts) -

I hope, I want one NOW!!!! :( WAHHH

#46 Posted by Miningguyx360 (325 posts) -

HAHA I LOVE THIS! If it releases on my birthday that would be SWEET!

#47 Posted by kagato (920 posts) -

I would have in years past just got one of the Japanese ones but with online content getting all region locked ill just hold off for the UK/US launch.  Theres something fun about making my girlfriend take me down to Gamestation at midnight to pick up my new device ^_^

#48 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Jeff  

Personally, the whole thing is giving me a headache

Just like the 3DS! Right?! Guys?...
#49 Posted by captain_clayman (3321 posts) -

cool

#50 Posted by Junior_AIN (200 posts) -

In E3 it seemed they were in late stages of development so my guess is that they will release before march 2011, I still think Nintendo will go Microsoft-like and, in 29th September, simply say that the 3DS is available from that very day on.

Too much waiting, I want a 3DS so much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.