Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Initial Impressions of the 3DS

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 1

Edited By RJay_64

Around Christmas time, I bought a 3DS!

No Caption Provided

As far as games, the only retail one I have is Ocarina of Time which came with the 3DS. I've bought some off the eShop though, such as Excitebike in 3D, Pyramids, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, Earthworm Jim, and I have some demos too, such as Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games and Resident Evil: Revelations. Plus, the multiplayer centered Zelda game The Four Swords was a free download.

An Improved DS Lite?

The console looks and feels similar to the DS Lite. It definitely has a similar thickness. But, the main difference of course is the large screen on top. When I play a DSi game such as Earthworm Jim, it doesn't take up the whole screen, so there is a noticeable change. Also, people might notice the Zelda design on the back. The 3DS I purchased came with Ocarina of Time as a special promotion, so I got a nifty design that will hopefully make it a collector's item one day.

On the lower half of the 3DS, the analog stick on the top left also sets this portable handheld apart from its predecessors. That leaves the directional pad on the bottom left, which makes some games slightly uncomfortable. My left thumb definitely feels cramped after playing Super Mario Land 2, which makes me try and revert back to using the analog. But once I switch to the analog, it does not feel right either. Game Boy games were meant to be played with the directional pad.

As for the four buttons on the right, they are in the same exact spot as on the DS Lite. The two triggers on the top left and right remain. The start and home buttons are right underneath the touch screen. They feel a bit cheap to press because it's not part of the touch screen, but they don't feel like regular buttons either, but rather cheap plastic. It does not affect the gameplay though, so that's good. The power button is on the bottom right. I have no problems with that. The stylus sits next to the top left trigger this time. When I first read that it moved there, I thought it would be a hassle compared to its location on the DS Lite. But I'm fine with the stylus where it is on the 3DS.

Without headphones, the sound comes off a little soft, even at the highest setting. Some might disagree with that. When I wear headphones though, the sound comes in crisp and clear.

The battery life does make a disappointing impression. With the full 3D effect on, expect only an hour and a half worth of gameplay. However, I'm always near electrical outlets and can usually find one quickly. The battery life could be better, but it is adequate.

Extra Features

The web browser, although one of the worst web browsers I have ever experienced except for the one on the Wii, does came in handy. The browser works for checking email, reading news, or using mobile Facebook. Don't expect to upload pictures directly to Facebook. That brings me to the next fault of the 3DS.

The pixel resolution for taking pictures...it's terrible! I read that the resolution is only 0.3 MP. Yes, I know the 3DS is meant for games...but...even my non-smart phone (Samsung Alias 2) could take pictures at 3 MP. At the very least, Nintendo should make their consoles capable of beating the lowest cell phones in picture-taking quality. But it doesn't. The video quality equals the picture quality in terribleness.

But...as long as good games come...

Overall, I'm still satisfied with my purchase. I have not experienced any online games yet, and I hear the system for playing others on games such as Mario Kart 7 is much more streamlined, but I need to find out for myself. The main reason I bought the 3DS is because I'm never home and I figured it would help me as a gamer to take a portable gaming device with me, so that I could play as I stand in line doing errands. I attend lots of conventions, so it will certainly help pass time if I'm waiting in line for a certain panel or event. For now, I am overlooking the faults and will give Nintendo more time to improve the 3DS experience.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RJay_64

Around Christmas time, I bought a 3DS!

No Caption Provided

As far as games, the only retail one I have is Ocarina of Time which came with the 3DS. I've bought some off the eShop though, such as Excitebike in 3D, Pyramids, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, Earthworm Jim, and I have some demos too, such as Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games and Resident Evil: Revelations. Plus, the multiplayer centered Zelda game The Four Swords was a free download.

An Improved DS Lite?

The console looks and feels similar to the DS Lite. It definitely has a similar thickness. But, the main difference of course is the large screen on top. When I play a DSi game such as Earthworm Jim, it doesn't take up the whole screen, so there is a noticeable change. Also, people might notice the Zelda design on the back. The 3DS I purchased came with Ocarina of Time as a special promotion, so I got a nifty design that will hopefully make it a collector's item one day.

On the lower half of the 3DS, the analog stick on the top left also sets this portable handheld apart from its predecessors. That leaves the directional pad on the bottom left, which makes some games slightly uncomfortable. My left thumb definitely feels cramped after playing Super Mario Land 2, which makes me try and revert back to using the analog. But once I switch to the analog, it does not feel right either. Game Boy games were meant to be played with the directional pad.

As for the four buttons on the right, they are in the same exact spot as on the DS Lite. The two triggers on the top left and right remain. The start and home buttons are right underneath the touch screen. They feel a bit cheap to press because it's not part of the touch screen, but they don't feel like regular buttons either, but rather cheap plastic. It does not affect the gameplay though, so that's good. The power button is on the bottom right. I have no problems with that. The stylus sits next to the top left trigger this time. When I first read that it moved there, I thought it would be a hassle compared to its location on the DS Lite. But I'm fine with the stylus where it is on the 3DS.

Without headphones, the sound comes off a little soft, even at the highest setting. Some might disagree with that. When I wear headphones though, the sound comes in crisp and clear.

The battery life does make a disappointing impression. With the full 3D effect on, expect only an hour and a half worth of gameplay. However, I'm always near electrical outlets and can usually find one quickly. The battery life could be better, but it is adequate.

Extra Features

The web browser, although one of the worst web browsers I have ever experienced except for the one on the Wii, does came in handy. The browser works for checking email, reading news, or using mobile Facebook. Don't expect to upload pictures directly to Facebook. That brings me to the next fault of the 3DS.

The pixel resolution for taking pictures...it's terrible! I read that the resolution is only 0.3 MP. Yes, I know the 3DS is meant for games...but...even my non-smart phone (Samsung Alias 2) could take pictures at 3 MP. At the very least, Nintendo should make their consoles capable of beating the lowest cell phones in picture-taking quality. But it doesn't. The video quality equals the picture quality in terribleness.

But...as long as good games come...

Overall, I'm still satisfied with my purchase. I have not experienced any online games yet, and I hear the system for playing others on games such as Mario Kart 7 is much more streamlined, but I need to find out for myself. The main reason I bought the 3DS is because I'm never home and I figured it would help me as a gamer to take a portable gaming device with me, so that I could play as I stand in line doing errands. I attend lots of conventions, so it will certainly help pass time if I'm waiting in line for a certain panel or event. For now, I am overlooking the faults and will give Nintendo more time to improve the 3DS experience.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ace829

About the battery life, are you sure you can only get an hour and a half of gameplay from a full charge? Either you're not counting the hours right, or you have a defective battery. They should at least last up to 3 hours on the highest settings. That's how long my 3DS' battery lasted before I bought the Power Pak battery. Also, games wise, I've bought Pushmo and Mighty Switch Force and I highly recommend both games. Links Awakening is a great VC game. Also, I would suggest playing the Resident Evil: Revelations demo.

Also, about the web browser, I found it very convenient to use as a GameFAQs "app" of sorts since you don't have to exit out of the game in order to look up walkthroughs and cheat codes so that's a great way to use it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

Hour and a half? Sounds like you have a faulty battery my friend.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By awadnin

@Sooty said:

yep you are right, I think it take 3 hours and half with 3D on.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I bought one when it came out, and haven't used it since. D:

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Hosstile17

I recommend Resident Evil: Revelations. I didn't like the demo. But, I have really enjoyed the full game.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By jetsetwillie

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

why not.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@jetsetwillie said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

why not.

Nothing to play. Other than Picross 3D, which isn't even a 3DS game lol.

The only good games that have come out are remakes of N64 games.

duggshammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By duggshammer

It's already becoming somewhat of a collector's item (the zelda edition), they are selling for ~$300 on ebay.

As for my 3ds, I'm going to sell it. Got it because I wanted to go back and finish ocarina and play mario games, but then realized I'm not really into those games anymore, when I play them I'm just going through the motions. I might try the vita out... ninja gaiden, mvc3, mortal kombat, and ridge racer are more my speed.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By sixpin

Super Mario 3D Land is the only retail game I've enjoyed post-launch. I thought the Ghost Recon strategy game that came out at launch was pretty good. Other than that I've just played a few downloadable titles. 3DS isn't a great system so far, but maybe it will improve. However, I am far more excited about picking up a Vita next week than anything the 3DS has to offer for the foreseeable future.

VillainTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VillainTricks

The first party title are great but the 3rd party are a bit disappointing (Note: I dislike Resident Evil). Maybe I'll pick up Sonic Generations or GTA: Chinatown Wars. For now I don't see any games I want coming out in the next few months.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RJay_64

@Sooty said:

I'm just reading these comments now lol. I've been so busy with graduate school.

Hmm...I think I underestimated the battery life at the time I wrote the blog post. I'll say that maybe I mistyped and it's longer than I thought.

Also, I underestimated the loudness of the sound. It's quite crisp and clear without headphones. At the time I wrote the post, I had played the 3DS mostly when I was outside around people. Headphones definitely make the experience better though.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RJay_64

@Ace829 said:

About the battery life, are you sure you can only get an hour and a half of gameplay from a full charge? Either you're not counting the hours right, or you have a defective battery. They should at least last up to 3 hours on the highest settings. That's how long my 3DS' battery lasted before I bought the Power Pak battery. Also, games wise, I've bought Pushmo and Mighty Switch Force and I highly recommend both games. Links Awakening is a great VC game. Also, I would suggest playing the Resident Evil: Revelations demo.

Also, about the web browser, I found it very convenient to use as a GameFAQs "app" of sorts since you don't have to exit out of the game in order to look up walkthroughs and cheat codes so that's a great way to use it.

You are probably right about me miscounting the battery life.

Since I wrote my blog post, I bought Mighty Switch Force and the graphics look very good! The 3D effects are nice but not overdone at the same time. The main character in Mighty Switch Force almost reminds me of Mega Man when I look at her.

That is true about the web browser. I definitely did that with Ocarina of Time. I suppose the lack of flash isn't too big of a deal. I mean it is a gaming system, not a laptop or tablet.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus

I should've bought that Zelda 3DS when I had the chance... NO! Wait. Just fuckin' wait... Luigi's Mansion... 2nd stick... E3... Just wait.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RJay_64

@VillainTricks said:

The first party title are great but the 3rd party are a bit disappointing (Note: I dislike Resident Evil). Maybe I'll pick up Sonic Generations or GTA: Chinatown Wars. For now I don't see any games I want coming out in the next few months.

I don't know if you've picked up Sonic Generations yet, but it's very short. It's still fun, and it's close to being a high quality game, but the shortness definitely killed it for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.