Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Insufferable Hand Cramping

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I like the 3DS, it has a lot of great games, but I hardly ever play it because the physical hardware makes my hands cramp up like nothing else. I have a really hard time holding it without having my hands feel rotten very shortly into the experience. I thought maybe it was the small size of the original 3DS, so I sold it and bought an XL recently and to my chagrin, the XL is just as bad. It's weird though, no other controller does this to me, nor does my Vita, I'm guessing it has something to do with how close the controls are to the edges of the 3DS and the shape of my hands and how I hold it. There are a lot of 3DS games that I want to play, but I feel like I can't. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a good solution, like maybe some sort of a third party grip or something? I want to enjoy these games. Blah.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bigsocrates  Online

How are you holding it? I would imagine your grip is wrong. The way I hold it is totally comfortable and doesn't even come close to causing hand cramps, though I don't play for many hours at a time (The DS is for short bursts for me, if I have hours to play I'm going 360/XBONE.)

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hold it with my index fingers on the triggers and thumbs on the d-pad and face buttons. i would consider it the "normal" way to hold it to play games.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could be holding it incorrectly for your hands. I suggest you do this, don't put your index fingers on the shoulder buttons, wrap them behind the 3ds and only use them when you have to press the button. That's how I hold my 3ds and don't have much hand cramping issues. If you always have them on the triggers your hands WILL cramp.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By alanm26v5

I've had a 3ds for a while but this was the first year I did a ton of prolonged gaming on it. I had very similar problems but I must have adjusted at some point though, because I don't notice an issue anymore.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

@spookytapes: Yep. Get those fingers off the triggers and loosen your grip. You can reach up to press the triggers when needed but in general they should be loosely supporting the system so you have better balance and all the weight isn't on your lower hands. Will this reduce your effectiveness in play? for some games, yes, but is having slightly better reaction times worth the PHYSICAL PAIN? I say no.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I had terrible cramping and issues with blood flow with the DS Lite and 3DS that were eliminated by upgrading to the larger size. I hadn't even really considered it for a long time till reading this post. It go to the point where I would only play 3DS games if I was seated at a table with the Kid Icarus stand. I can't imagine the 2DS would be a better option for you, if you're thinking it. Does anyone make Playstation style grips you could attach that wouldn't look heinous? I hate even recommending that...

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had that problem with the original, with the XL not at all. Spent hundreds of hours with that thing.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By xymox

@counterclockwork87 said:

You could be holding it incorrectly for your hands. I suggest you do this, don't put your index fingers on the shoulder buttons, wrap them behind the 3ds and only use them when you have to press the button. That's how I hold my 3ds and don't have much hand cramping issues. If you always have them on the triggers your hands WILL cramp.

This is how I do it as well. It can still take a while for your hands to adjust, but personally I just can't do the trigger thing - so that might be the problem.
    I just rest my indexes at the back, and when it's needed, I move my index up to push those buttons. I did see a few after market 3DS "hand grip" controllers - you might wanna check something like that out. I've no experience with them, however, so no idea if they help.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By djou

I don't have any experience with the 3DS but I had the exact problem with my Vita. After a hour or so there would be shooting pain up my left forearm and cramping in my ring/pinky fingers. I bought the Sony after market grip and it made it better although I still get the same cramping after a few hours. The 3DS may look a bit goofy in the contraption but don't fall into RSD for that thing.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ordered a grip from amazon. Will post a review if it helps me out.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheBlue

I am always confused by people that tightly hold their handhelds, there's just no reason for it. I personally hold all 4 fingers on the back of the XL and my index finger is close enough to the triggers where I can either hold them there or right underneath. The edge of the system should never touch your palms. I've played for 6-7 hours at a time and never experienced any problem with the XL, the original or even the Vita. I can see how people have issues with cramping and such if you're tightly gripping it for hours at a time. I would say save your money and loosen up, but if people are so set in their ways I suppose a grip may help.

Avanzato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had my XL for about an hour before realising it was one of the most uncomfortable devices I've ever had to hold.

I bought one of those grips from Amazon and it has made a big difference.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Damn, that sucks. But I used to play a ton of DS (Lite version) and never had any cramping, so maybe this just happens to certain types of hands.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Seppli

Option B - soldier through the pain until it stops bothering you. Adaptability is mankind's greatest strength. Your physiology will adapt eventually.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By TruthTellah
    egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By egg

Hey OP, I have a 3DS XL and I think it's no masterpiece. The slider is very close to the hinge, and to reach the L/R buttons you have to crane your index fingers. I also don't like how the touchscreen has a barrier around it and my thumbs would always hit it when using slider/buttons/dpad.

I don't have a normal 3DS but at least there I imagine you can cup the bottom of the unit with your palms... can't do that with a 3DS XL. (unless you have big hands maybe)

Why not get a 2DS though? I really want a 2DS in any case, hopefully it's way better than the other models.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ended up ordering this slightly expensive, very japanese grip from Amazon. Got it on tuesday. Wow, what a night and day difference, though. I played Mario 3D Land for hours and hours on Christmas Eve with no issues. Totally worth it. My only nitpick is that there isn't a hole for the stylus, but it's easy enough to pop the system out when I need to get it.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always kind of found it uncomfortable, but never had any serious pain from it. I usually just lay down when I'm playing, changing positions every couple minutes to get comfortable again. It's never been ideal, and it's why I don't play a lot of handheld games. I've never even considered buying a grip for it until now. Maybe I'll swing by the local game shop and see if they have anything cheap.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Had the same issues bought the handgrips and they were fantastic. The hand cramping and inability to hold it comfortably in my hand is one of the main reasons I had a hard time playing my 3ds for long periods of time since then I've been enjoying my 3ds immensely logging in nearly 200 hours in pokemon x. I think the main issue with the original 3ds is while its about the same size as the ds and dsi that shit has a little bit more weight to it and the analog stick in the hand is so uncomfortable especially for pinpoint movement in some games.

Purchased these one for 11 dollars: http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Hand-Grip/dp/B004MKN3YE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388082401&sr=8-2&keywords=3ds+handgrips

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.