Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

International 3ds Charger Please Help

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

So I am from the United States and that is where I bought my 3ds I sometimes travel internationally and take a converter/charger with me. The last 2 times I did this my 3ds would not take the charge at all. I am wondering does anyone (preferable someone from the States) know of a solution to solve this problem? Also I know usb charging for 3ds exists but I do not own a laptop or a tablet so I only plug things into walls.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By egg

I charge my 3DS XL via USB by plugging it into a wall, not a laptop. Ever heard of a USB wall adapter? It is how the majority of tablets and apple products are charged out of the box. I wish Nintendo would get with the program instead of creating their own chargers. Even Sony added USB charging to the slim model Vita.

Not sure how that would work internationally but I'm guessing you can walk into any store in that country and pick up a USB wall adapter and it will automatically fit your cable because USB is USB no matter where in the world you are.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By audioBusting

Maybe check the voltage input for the charger? If it only takes in 110V it might've blown up in another country. I'm pretty sure 3DS chargers are universal, but they're cheap anyway. I've been using one from a 100-yen store for a long time.

Edit: oh I didn't see @Fattony12000's tweet there, so yeah just buy a cheap new charger with a 100V-240V input (I got mine from Daiso).

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: I have used a converter which changes the voltage coming out of the wall infact I tried 2 the only thing is after I adjust it to the appropriate voltage it just will not charge my 3ds at all. It works fine for cell phones and cameras but not the 3ds.

@fattony12000 Does that japanese charger work for you in the UK? I mainly am going to Europe that is were I would need it to work.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

I just used my regular universal travel adaptor and it worked fine, you should not need to buy a separate charger. Just get a cheap universal travel adapter with voltage converter, if it doesn't work just get an EU 3DS charger when you get there.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This would all be made easier if it charged via USB like every other portable device on the planet...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak said:

This would all be made easier if it charged via USB like every other portable device on the planet...

...but if Nintendo did that, how could they make ridiculous profit margins on accessories?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamin724 said:

@audiobusting: I have used a converter which changes the voltage coming out of the wall infact I tried 2 the only thing is after I adjust it to the appropriate voltage it just will not charge my 3ds at all. It works fine for cell phones and cameras but not the 3ds.

@fattony12000 Does that japanese charger work for you in the UK? I mainly am going to Europe that is were I would need it to work.

I have not used my Japanese charger outside of Japan.

It seems like you/I could quite easily make use of the USB charging methods mentioned here. I was given to understand that USB is not the ideal (in terms of safety, reliability and longevity) method of charging the 3DS XL. A wall plug adaptor which changes voltage as well as the pin configuration would also probably be mostly fine; but the way I saw it you'd have to buy a pretty good/expensive one of those to ensure that the three things I mentioned in my parenthesis would be up to snuff.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: I have tried 2 which one did you use? Also While I do mainly go to EU different areas have different sockets so a universal one would be ideal.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: In the OP I linked the charger/converter that I recently used (I forgot the first one). It is a universal one that has all the major wall sockets and I changed the voltage to match that of the US 3DSXL but it just will not charge. I tried in Ireland, Britain, and Italy and I also tried using my gf's which did not work as well.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Corevi

You could also just buy a 3DS charger there. GAME will sell you one.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mike

@jamin724: I have two of these, I have used them all over the world and never had a problem with anything not charging. I needed an adapter that also converted voltage and had multiple plugs as well, and this fit the bill. It's not cheap though, so if the only thing you need to charge is your 3DS, just get an EU charger when you get there, it will probably be cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-universal-converter-charging-MRJ201GU/dp/B00F877VES

Just keep in mind that you need something that converts voltage, not just a physical plug adapter. It's because the US 3DS charger only accepts 110-120 VAC. Who knows why Nintendo chose to do it that way, but there you go.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.